How to tame the ARCHON 25 COMBO? WHOA NELLY!!!!!!!!

Deedsoftommy

I ♡ chip's n' salsa.
So I have a Archon 100 and a Archon 25. Both are amazing and unique. Although, I would love for my PLUM ARCHON 25 Watt combo to be tamed a little bit more.

I have not changed out the 12ax7's yet but if i did. Which model of 12A?7's should I try??
They say 12at7's have the least gain. Is this true??
DA9dXXyUwAA6Mj8

Yes an 12AT7 would give you less gain you can also try to bias the amp a bit lower that would also mellow it a bit

I'm going to state the obvious and suggest that you turn the volume knob (gain) down on the lead channel.

TAME it?!? What? Why?

I recommend turning the volume to 11:00 and the master to noon. If that doesn't work for you, send it to DTR. He NEEDS one! .

There, fixed it for you. I know that's what you meant anyway.

So, to my brother Deeds of Tommy Boy...I've given this a lot of thought, prayer, reflection and meditation and I think that this is what God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky, is telling you that you should send the amp to me. I'm not afraid of gain. I LOVE gain! I live for it. I swim in it. Fear is for the weak. Crank it up and hang on but DO NOT try to tame it. All this time I thought I didn't want a combo, but it seems that this is what God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky wants me to have. God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky has endowed me with limited guitar abilities, but has blessed me with the power to control massive gain levels and to shred like a pro, minus the actual skills of course. Feedback is like hair on your chest. Proves you're a man! DON'T SHAVE IT! Unbutton two more buttons and display those gold chains Miami Vice/Sergio style! Rock out with your... gain knob out!

Send it to me, get you a Sonzera and buy some extra hot salsa for those chips, and all will be right in the universe (as soon as I replace the speaker with a Scumback M!)

I've seen the light! Hallelujah, praise Jesus, holy $hite, where's the tylenol?

Last edited by a moderator:
There, fixed it for you. I know that's what you meant anyway.

So, to my brother Deeds of Tommy Boy...I've given this a lot of thought, prayer, reflection and meditation and I think that this is what God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky, is telling you that you should send the amp to me. I'm not afraid of gain. I LOVE gain! I live for it. I swim in it. Fear is for the weak. Crank it up and hang on but DO NOT try to tame it. All this time I thought I didn't want a combo, but it seems that this is what God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky wants me to have. God/ the universe/ karma / the great salsa maker in the sky has endowed me with limited guitar abilities, but has blessed me with the power to control massive gain levels and to shred like a pro, minus the actual skills of course. Feedback is like hair on your chest. Proves you're a man! DON'T SHAVE IT! Unbutton two more buttons and display those gold chains Miami Vice/Sergio style! Rock out with your... gain knob out!

Send it to me, get you a Sonzera and buy some extra hot salsa for those chips, and all will be right in the universe (as soon as I replace the speaker with a Scumback M!)

I've seen the light! Hallelujah, praise Jesus, holy $hite, where's the tylenol?

Last edited:
I tried a 12AT7 for the phase inverter and that worked well. I"ve also thought about a 5751 for one of the gain channel tubes, but there are three of them and I have no idea which one would work best....

And when you drop a nice NOS 5751 in the first slot of the OD gain stage, try a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in the PI.

TAME it?!? What? Why?

I recommend turning the volume to 11:00 and the master to noon. If that doesn't work for you, I'll send you ScottRs address that DTR guy is sketchy and he kayaks in speedos and I'm pretty sure i saw him pull the wings off of a butterfly once, so yeah, Scott's is your guy!

NOW...THAT'S fixed...much better...carry on.

NOW...THAT'S fixed...much better...carry on.
:rolleyes: Some people would do ANYTHING for an Archon, including accusing others of animal cruelty. Or is that insect cruelty? Hmm, I guess I am guilty of that. I had to kill three flies tonight that got in while wife was trying to get the dogs in. I did give them a fighting chance though. I swatted them out of the air with my hand. Not all at once though. I’m not Spider-Man! Or the Karate Kid. Can’t do the chopsticks thing either.

:rolleyes: Some people would do ANYTHING for an Archon, including accusing others of animal cruelty. Or is that insect cruelty? Hmm, I guess I am guilty of that. I had to kill three flies tonight that got in while wife was trying to get the dogs in. I did give them a fighting chance though. I swatted them out of the air with my hand. Not all at once though. I’m not Spider-Man! Or the Karate Kid. Can’t do the chopsticks thing either.

Yeah... some people...okay I'll admit it! I'm some people...I want one and I'm not ashamed to admit it amongst friends...there I said it! :p

Yeah... some people...okay I'll admit it! I'm some people...I want one and I'm not ashamed to admit it amongst friends...there I said it! :p

Ok, well I did kill three flies, so you deserve it more than I do.

Thank you!

I don't have a Sovtek LPS. I have a Mullard (Sovtek) long plate 12ax7 so I tried that. Big improvement!!!

Thank you!

I don't have a Sovtek LPS. I have a Mullard (Sovtek) long plate 12ax7 so I tried that. Big improvement!!!
You tried this in the PI? If so, that’s great. If you get a chance, buy a new Sovtek LPS. Many people recommend it as the best new PI tube for most amps.

Yes. The Mullard is a long plate made by Sovtek, just like the LPS.

Mullard, Sovtek, Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, are all different brands that are all made in the Reflector factory in Russia. My favorite brands of new production tubes. :)

And my recommendation is a 5751 in V1 (sometimes a second 5751 in V2) and a 12AT7 in the PI, as far as taming, or making it smoother. I use this tube lineup in many amps, for more headroom when running clean, and a smoother gain when driven.

At the edge of out of control. When I roll my guitar volume to 10, that’s exactly where I want to be. :cool: This is also why I’ve been mesmerized by unpotted pickups for the last few years. And the above statement is exactly how my oldest son described the SE245 with my Super Dallas rig. But it didn’t come to me like that.

There’s some solid tube advice above. FYI, V1 and PI are typically the “effect everything” tubes. V2 and V3 are typically gain stages for channel 2 on that kind of amp. If you have tube reverb, there’s also a socket for that. With a high gain amp, the PT and the circuit dictate much of the gain generation, but you can go with 12at7 or 12au7 to reduce low volume crunch. Talk to one of the reputable online tube vendors on the phone...they’re pretty knowledgeable.

Personally, I’d turn down the gain control and crank the master...then turn down the guitar volume.

At the edge of out of control. When I roll my guitar volume to 10, that’s exactly where I want to be. :cool: This is also why I’ve been mesmerized by unpotted pickups for the last few years. And the above statement is exactly how my oldest son described the SE245 with my Super Dallas rig. But it didn’t come to me like that.

There’s some solid tube advice above. FYI, V1 and PI are typically the “effect everything” tubes. V2 and V3 are typically gain stages for channel 2 on that kind of amp. If you have tube reverb, there’s also a socket for that. With a high gain amp, the PT and the circuit dictate much of the gain generation, but you can go with 12at7 or 12au7 to reduce low volume crunch. Talk to one of the reputable online tube vendors on the phone...they’re pretty knowledgeable.

Personally, I’d turn down the gain control and crank the master...then turn down the guitar volume.

Great advice, O wise one!

Back