How to post images: an updated guide

flux

594 & CU24
Hi folks,

A how-to for one of the forum's most near-and-dear purposes is in order, and I felt compelled to assemble one. Please understand in advance that I have no affiliation with any of the services mentioned here. This is by no means a complete list, rather a collection of resources that forum members have done well with since Photobucket's recent account changes.

Suggestions/additions welcome! Full disclosure: I'm centered on Windows, Android, and Chrome... so if anyone has additional tips for other platforms, please feel free to chime in.

Let's get started.

Q: Why do I have to do all this, anyway? Can't I just upload images directly to the forum?

A: Many forums have the capability to host user images, but at a cost. Every image requires storage, and server bandwidth for viewing. That may not seem like a big deal for the occasional meme image or New Guitar Day -- but with the existence of large, popular, image-heavy threads here like Private Stock Friday, it adds up. At the time of this posting, it alone spans 430+ pages, contains 8,593 replies, and has 1,281,835 views. To take that burden off the mothership, financially and otherwise, we can easily host and post our own pictures elsewhere. That helps keep spaces like this free for everybody to use.

Q: What should I keep in mind when sharing my images?

A: This is the Internet, and as such some security precautions should be considered. It's grand fun to share images of your beloved gear and new purchases, but beware: if you're snapping photos with a phone, it might embed geo-location or other potentially sensitive data by default -- that means that unless you're careful, you might inadvertently broadcast your whereabouts.

It's best/easiest to use a hosting service that cleanses your imagery of sensitive data. However, if you're PC-competent, you can accomplish the same results manually.

More information: What Is EXIF Data, and How Can I Remove It From My Photos?

Also, try not to hotlink obscenely large images, it's inconvenient for people viewing the website on slow connections or mobile devices. Additionally, please don't hotlink to images you don't have permission to use, or are copyrighted. For example, that sweet picture of your new guitar, which is hosted on the dealer's website... and that brings us back to A#1.

Q: Okay, I've read your wall of text and just want to post my images. How does that work?

A: Pretty easily, you just need to do two things:

1) Upload the image you wish to share to a hosting site
2) Once you've done so, copy the link and bring it back to your post

Images must be wrapped in the forum's IMG tag in order to display properly within your post. If you're unfamiliar with bb-code tags, please refer to this usage guide.

RZT01vv.png

Now, a real-world example, using the forum's text interface:

E7pFPiY.png

That brings up this dialogue box. Paste in your image URL and the forum will wrap it in IMG tags.
8btjXXe.png

Which yields:
JogFk8Qg.jpg

Praise the Wood Library! Now we can have fun.

For posting multiple images within the same post, just repeat the process for each additional image.

Hosting site information and tutorials are posted as individual replies, below, to break up this large chunk of text.

Last edited:
Hosting option: https://postimages.org

Simple interface.
No registration/account needed.
Image links can be set to expire.

lG2sefd.png

Using the same 594 image as above, you receive the following options:

oeyjSqd.png

The little icons at right copy each respective option to your clipboard.

The Direct Link option yields a full size image:

Jog_Fk8_Qg.jpg

On the mobile app, you'll receive a prompt to take a picture, or navigate to an existing file:

bG3SH27g.png

Once you've selected and uploaded your image, the final selection screen looks just like the desktop version, above.

Last edited:
Hosting option: https://imgur.com

Imgur Basics: Uploading Images

Simple and reliable
No registration required (but helpful, especially for mobile users -- you'll want the app)
Excellent privacy and safety controls with registered account
Easy gallery assembly

txJb2Bv.png

iMuMDnh.png

Once you've uploaded a photo, select Get share links to grab the image URL

jI2P3Yt.png

The Direct Link option, again, produces the desired result here:

JogFk8Qg.jpg

While you can post images as one-offs without registering for an account, it's very handy to have all your images at your disposal. Imgur's interface also includes editing tools, so you can resize, crop, add text, or adjust levels.

For the mobile app:

Press the camera icon at bottom center, and you'll have the option to take a new picture.
Or, select from existing images to upload.

EygvE5Qg.png

You can select whether your image is public or hidden, or even share to Imgur's community. For our purposes here, Hidden is a good option. Select your image, or multiples, and tap Upload to continue. Follow the prompt.

XoZRZDVg.png

When you have your desired image, you can add a post title for Imgur's sake (or your labeling purposes), as well as add #tags. When finished (or if you don't care, you can leave that all blank...), select the Share icon (bottom right):

iUcsdbkg.png

and then select Copy to clipboard

Bring the URL back to your post.

Last edited:
Flux, this is terrific! Thanks for taking the time - wish I had this when I first started posting.

I use postimage, but sometimes they don’t update their site certificate and I can’t add the urls when using my iPad, which is like 99% of the time,

I’m worn out.

BJk2S0y.gif

Too many notes? Mission accomplished! :D

It's a bit wordy, I know. Instead of just barking out instructions I figured it'd be helpful to include some of the underlying logic.

If it's too wall-of-text, a few edits could slim it down.

Flux, this is terrific! Thanks for taking the time - wish I had this when I first started posting.

I use postimage, but sometimes they don’t update their site certificate and I can’t add the urls when using my iPad, which is like 99% of the time,

Thanks, @WA Paul -- if there's anything from the Apple ecosystem you find helpful, I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime I'll see what other options might work a little better on that front.

BJk2S0y.gif

Too many notes? Mission accomplished! :D

It's a bit wordy, I know. Instead of just barking out instructions I figured it'd be helpful to include some of the underlying logic.

If it's too wall-of-text, a few edits could slim it down.

Thanks, @WA Paul -- if there's anything from the Apple ecosystem you find helpful, I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime I'll see what other options might work a little better on that front.

I do tend to fall asleep in my chair these days.

How about adding Flickr instructions, and a Mod making this a sticky to replace the old one?

Flickr only allows image posting from the full browser app, not mobile browsers or the app.

Hi folks,

A how-to for one of the forum's most near-and-dear purposes is in order, and I felt compelled to assemble one. Please understand in advance that I have no affiliation with any of the services mentioned here. This is by no means a complete list, rather a collection of resources that forum members have done well with since Photobucket's recent account changes.

Suggestions/additions welcome! Full disclosure: I'm centered on Windows, Android, and Chrome... so if anyone has additional tips for other platforms, please feel free to chime in.

Let's get started.

Q: Why do I have to do all this, anyway? Can't I just upload images directly to the forum?

A:
Many forums have the capability to host user images, but at a cost. Every image requires storage, and server bandwidth for viewing. That may not seem like a big deal for the occasional meme image or New Guitar Day -- but with the existence of large, popular, image-heavy threads here like Private Stock Friday, it adds up. At the time of this posting, it alone spans 430+ pages, contains 8,593 replies, and has 1,281,835 views. To take that burden off the mothership, financially and otherwise, we can easily host and post our own pictures elsewhere. That helps keep spaces like this free for everybody to use.

Q: What should I keep in mind when sharing my images?

A:
This is the Internet, and as such some security precautions should be considered. It's grand fun to share images of your beloved gear and new purchases, but beware: if you're snapping photos with a phone, it might embed geo-location or other potentially sensitive data by default -- that means that unless you're careful, you might inadvertently broadcast your whereabouts.

It's best/easiest to use a hosting service that cleanses your imagery of sensitive data. However, if you're PC-competent, you can accomplish the same results manually.

More information: What Is EXIF Data, and How Can I Remove It From My Photos?

Also, try not to hotlink obscenely large images, it's inconvenient for people viewing the website on slow connections or mobile devices. Additionally, please don't hotlink to images you don't have permission to use, or are copyrighted. For example, that sweet picture of your new guitar, which is hosted on the dealer's website... and that brings us back to A#1.

Q: Okay, I've read your wall of text and just want to post my images. How does that work?

A:
Pretty easily, you just need to do two things:

1) Upload the image you wish to share to a hosting site
2) Once you've done so, copy the link and bring it back to your post

Images must be wrapped in the forum's IMG tag in order to display properly within your post. If you're unfamiliar with bb-code tags, please refer to this usage guide.

RZT01vv.png

Now, a real-world example, using the forum's text interface:

E7pFPiY.png

That brings up this dialogue box. Paste in your image URL and the forum will wrap it in IMG tags.
8btjXXe.png

Which yields:
JogFk8Qg.jpg

Praise the Wood Library! Now we can have fun.

For posting multiple images within the same post, just repeat the process for each additional image.

Hosting site information and tutorials are posted as individual replies, below, to break up this large chunk of text.
This is so totally lame.

Back