How to know where a PRS guitar was made? USA or Asia.

Angry_Lu

Greetings everyone.
I'm new here and I don't know much about guitar.
I found a PRS Custom 24, (2006), for sale near my place.
Since this is my first PRS guitar I wonder if you can tell where it was manufactured. I know there is the factory in MD, but I have heard that there are PRSs being made in Asia too.
This PRS has no ID tag, only the warranty certificate where I found the described model and Serial#.
What I need to do to know the origin of this guitar?
Is it a USA made or a cheap Asian one?

Last edited:
if it`s made in Asia, it is required to have on the back of the headstock where it was made. The US ones will have made in USA or some variation. All the SE`s are made in Asia, everything else is made in Maryland.. Just check the back of the headstock, and all will be answered.

Last edited:
In addition, since you are new to PRS, you should know that only the SE models are made in Asia. So if you can determine that it is an SE model, then it's made in Asia. All S2 and CE and core models are made in Maryland, USA. So according to this, if the serial number starts with A-O (and P and Q? for 2015 and 2016?), then it's an SE, and is made in Asia.

SE all have this asian made.
6in-PRSSantanaSE-HeadstockBack.jpg

USA made
Will have the serial number hand-painted on the top

Greetings.
Thank you all for the information posted.
I took a look on the headstock and there are no information about country as you see on Ironwolf comment. There is just the serial number like 6 1134XX, hand painted.
Nothing else.

I took a look on the headstock and there are no information about country as you see on Ironwolf comment. There is just the serial number like 6 1134XX, hand painted.
Nothing else.
Sounds USA made, in 2006. But yeah, if you want to post pictures, we can help. (We like pictures.)

Also, if it's one you haven't bought yet but are considering, there's always the concern about a forgery, so don't be shy.

Last edited:
Greetings.
Thank you all for the information posted.
Nothing else.
Then that is a USA (Maryland) made PRS. The serial number may also be stamped into the wood (certain older models) or is found on the neck plate holding the neck to the body (for CEs, SASs, and other bolt-ons).

The US-made PRSi do not have "Made in USA" on them. dogrocketp miststated that element. Exports of US-made models (to Europe etc) probably come with a hang-tag that identifies them as Made in USA (Country Of Origin requirements).

Note that some SEs are made in Indonesia now, not just Korea.

It would help if you provided:

The model.
The serial number.
Pics of the body, fretboard and headstock.

Without more information, you are asking us to just guess.

I have a 2006 SC that is
6 1144XX
It also has a 10 on the upper right headstock horn (10-top signifier).
This guitar is my Avatar at the moment.

You can email PRS customer support and they can tell you, based on the serial number, what the original specs/options/color name were. In my case they also had a service record for my Tremonti as it had gone to PRS for some mods at one point.

Thank all for information and support.

I was at the store today to take pictures and get more information about this guitar. Unfortunatly it was sold during the morning period.
Should I change my nick from Angry_Lu to Sad_Lu? No....
I found a PRS Tremonti 10 top 2008, and I bought it.

One more time thank you all.

I was at the store today to take pictures and get more information about this guitar. Unfortunatly it was sold during the morning period.

I think that's one of the best guitars PRS makes, I put a pearly gates trembucker slightly wider spacing for the tremolo, it sounds so close to a good Les Paul but the playability coupled with the ability to do a tremolo, I also put The coil splits, I bought it in 2011 it's always been my number one guitar, number 2 is a telecaster.
I think you've got very lucky, I think you'll enjoy it tremendously most likely will be your number one guitar.
LPiSrXT.jpg
[/IMG] http://imgur.com/LPiSrXT
m1UnqVA.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Awesome!

I'll add pics later today.
I need to figure out how to do it.

I'm New on these tech things.

Back