How to have great sustain on Prs Custom 24 85/15 pickups korina

Rhandy

Hello

I´m testing my new PRS Custom 24 ltd edition korina wood and 85/15 pickups.

The guitar have awesome sound and clarity But I feel some less sustain comparing to my gibson les paul 1997 with 490r and 498t . I swap magnets on pickups I put alnico 5 on 490r and alnico 8 on 498t.

I´m trying have infinite sustain Like santana have it on europa song.

Based on the differences in construction I'm not surprised you find a sustain difference.

That infinite sustain Carlos gets (Gary Moore is another great example) is actually controlled feedback. The Custom will certainly be capable of that, but it generally requires high volume and a healthy dose of overdrive. You can sometimes get it at low volumes if you are close to the amp and position the guitar just right.

I dont have Mesa . But I have one Engl Blackmore signature. Have very clean tone and tons of Gain.
The feedback of Prs is more high and less controled . Gibson have more controled feedback. But I also know one have fixed bridge and other have tremolo.

Hello

I´m testing my new PRS Custom 24 ltd edition korina wood and 85/15 pickups.

The guitar have awesome sound and clarity But I feel some less sustain comparing to my gibson les paul 1997 with 490r and 498t . I swap magnets on pickups I put alnico 5 on 490r and alnico 8 on 498t.

I´m trying have infinite sustain Like santana have it on europa song.

My solution is to celebrate the differences between instruments. As you have discovered any individual guitar is a compromise in some way. Buy one with mahogany and maybe an ebony board. as always YMMV :)

The feedback of Prs is more high and less controled .
Oh, okay, so you already know how to do the controlled feedback thing? You may need to dial the amp in again, you can't just swap guitars and expect them to act the same. I refuse to play loudly enough to get that infinite sustain thing, but I have got that increasing bloom thing by standing in front of mine.

My solution is to celebrate the differences between instruments. As you have discovered any individual guitar is a compromise in some way. Buy one with mahogany and maybe an ebony board. as always YMMV :)
Before I Buy this Guitar I read about korina and Mahony. In most cases korina have more sustain than Mahony. Have more low and high end. Upper mids.
But I Think I can put it thing. I have to deal with the amp.

Oh, okay, so you already know how to do the controlled feedback thing? You may need to dial the amp in again, you can't just swap guitars and expect them to act the same. I refuse to play loudly enough to get that infinite sustain thing, but I have got that increasing bloom thing by standing in front of mine.

You have right. Today I adjust settings on amp. And I found I cannot open volume in guitar to 10. Just arround 8. And more Gain on amp. The guitar beats les Paul on clarity. Definition. I could open all Gain and make full chords and never get muddy. Have much more low end and high end. Just the sustain is diferent. Have more feedback when you open all volume. Isto more dificult to get infinite feedback than gibson can get it. Just that.

Ok! After some tests I think I found one problem. The feedback come out in the PRS is more microphonic than the gibson. One time when I try to change the covers on gibson pups I have one issue like that. I solve it by wax poted pickups again. I dont know if PRS pickups are wax poted or not. The only thing I know is wax poted pups dont have microphonic issues and you can control better feedback.

I have no trouble at all getting controlled feedback from my CU24 30th anniversary with 85/15 pickups. I play through a Mesa MKV, and normally leave the volume set at rehearsal level, just loud enough to play with a drummer, which is fairly loud, but not stupid loud, and I don't have much issue with microphonic squeal from the pickups.
It took me a few weeks to really dial it in after I got it, so be patient and keep at it.

So! You have the same problem. I´m trying do dial with it.
Pickups 85/15 have some squeal in microphonic.

Hi!
After my guitar comes from my Luthier. Sound Amazing and with sustain. My frets are not crowning on top. He make one fret dressing and adjust sadles and neck relief. Now I could say I never play one guitar better than this one. Sound awesome. Is seems like I ever play with one cheap rádio and now I'm playing with one Best hi-fi .
Is full body. Very articulate. 85/15 are not hot. But sound much better than my hot gibson 490r and hot 498t on gibson les Paul. I use one Engl Blackmore. This guitar just sing ...

On Luthier Shop

20170318_171639.jpg

I dont have Mesa . But I have one Engl Blackmore signature. Have very clean tone and tons of Gain.
The feedback of Prs is more high and less controled . Gibson have more controled feedback. But I also know one have fixed bridge and other have tremolo.
That's bullsh*t.
I'm kind of a feedback maniac and the amp, cabinet, volume and your position relatively to the cabinet is what influences the feedback.
The volume more than anything else. With a little sweat and a correct amount of volume, you can have any note during infinitely (not really infinitely, because you'd be dead from thirst in 3 days).
I participated in a larsen competition once (well, we were young ;) ) and you'd be amazed of the sound a friend of mine was getting from a car exhaust with a sm58 inside (controling the sound with his hands on the holes) and he was able to control it very precisely.

That's bullsh*t.
I'm kind of a feedback maniac and the amp, cabinet, volume and your position relatively to the cabinet is what influences the feedback.
The volume more than anything else. With a little sweat and a correct amount of volume, you can have any note during infinitely (not really infinitely, because you'd be dead from thirst in 3 days).
I participated in a larsen competition once (well, we were young ;) ) and you'd be amazed of the sound a friend of mine was getting from a car exhaust with a sm58 inside (controling the sound with his hands on the holes) and he was able to control it very precisely.

I know I have to control volume and guitar position. But I also have more feedback PRS CU24 with 85/15 than my other 3 guitars. I have to dial with it instead of fight it.

Back