How rare are PRS guitars with ebony fretboard?

Austin

So I have a 2016 limited McCarty 10 top with an ebony fretboard in charcoal blue burst and I'm wondering how rare it is to have an ebony fretboard on a non artist package or PS. The color is also not available on the website.

Not rare at all and it's becoming increasingly common.

Ebony is rare on the old ones. Still not all that common on recent models, but its use has certainly been on the rise with Wood Library and other limited dealer runs.

Pretty much the same deal with the finish. There used to not be much deviation from the standard colors, but in recent years, they've done special colors for dealer runs as well as "sprayer's choice" where the paint shop gets to have some fun making new bursts.

Thank you I have been wondering why the color was not listed on the website. It was pretty confusing for me.

Stradivari made a few guitars in the 1670s, and there is only one that’s still playable, the Sabonari. That’s a rare guitar.

I’m sure yours is super-nice, but it’ll never see a Sotheby’s auction in your lifetime.

Stick it with a fork and see how much blood, err.. juice runs out.

Edit: The first CL seller that lists a guitar as "juicy", I'm gonna buy.

Stick it with a fork and see how much blood, err.. juice runs out.

Edit: The first CL seller that lists a guitar as "juicy", I'm gonna buy.

What if it's blue?

3e1870c23e5e6108dc04baffa5cd4341--monty-python-gifs.jpg

Okay, can someone tell me why my guitar has an ebony fretboard when it is a regular core model. Not an artist package or PS.

Okay, can someone tell me why my guitar has an ebony fretboard when it is a regular core model. Not an artist package or PS.

From what I've gathered on this forum, dealers can do runs of pretty much whatever specs/models they want, as long as they buy enough guitars and PRS has the supply. I'm sure its a bit more involved than that but I think that's the short of it.

After thinking about this thread some more I think I can give you the whole answer that you're looking for. I've only been on the forum for a year but the amount of knowledge here is awesome and I have learned a lot. So...

Yes, it is possible that your guitar's specs are unique or one-off. I think what makes it more unique is the color. You don't see the blue charcoal burst often and ebony boards are somewhat uncommon relative to rosewood. Although, not that uncommon. And definitely not as uncommon as the color. The combo could be a single unique guitar in a dealer's run.

However, there are probably hundreds of core PRS that may have a unique combination of specs especially due to the color experimentation. And even more among artist and wood library guitars; nevermind, private stock. One of the great factors that distinguishes PRS from F____ and G____ is the massive amount of non-private stock, unique guitars that you see circulating.

Also, even if you had 5 guitars with the exact same specs and color from PRS, the would probably have different degrees of color, burst, and flame. You'd be able to tell them apart relatively easily.

In summary, your guitar may be unique but that isn't strange or rare among PRS guitars. But that does make it very special to you, which is important.

Also. Share your pics or we'll all assume it's a Hello Kitty Ukulele ;) (some people accept thumbnail pictures but I cant be bothered)

I deleted and rewrote my original comment.

Hmm, I know my guitar had a run of maybe 5 from different dealers. I'm in Japan and 2 were here and 3 in the states. There just wasn't really any explanation as to why it had ebony and a unknown color.

From what I've gathered on this forum, dealers can do runs of pretty much whatever specs/models they want, as long as they buy enough guitars and PRS has the supply. I'm sure its a bit more involved than that but I think that's the short of it.

After thinking about this thread some more I think I can give you the whole answer that you're looking for. I've only been on the forum for a year but the amount of knowledge here is awesome and I have learned a lot. So...

Yes, it is possible that your guitar's specs are unique or one-off. I think what makes it more unique is the color. You don't see the blue burst often and ebony boards are somewhat uncommon relative to rosewood. Although, not that uncommon. And definitely not as uncommon as the color. The combo could be a single unique guitar in a dealer's run.

However, there are probably hundreds of core PRS that may have a unique combination of specs especially due to the color experimentation. And even more among artist and wood library guitars; nevermind, private stock. One of the great factors that distinguishes PRS from F____ and G____ is the massive amount of non-private stock, unique guitars that you see circulating.

Also, even if you had 5 guitars with the exact same specs and color from PRS, the would probably have different degrees of color, burst, and flame. You'd be able to tell them apart relatively easily.

In summary, your guitar may be unique but that isn't strange or rare among PRS guitars. But that does make it very special to you, which is important.

Also. Share your pics or we'll all assume it's a Hello Kitty Ukulele ;) (some people accept thumbnail pictures but I cant be bothered)

I deleted and rewrote my original comment.
I tried uploading pictures from my phone yesterday but I can't seem to figure it out...

Back