How do the se models compare to core line?

Archie090612

Hi guys my only experience with Prs is my custom 24 I've had since 2007 great guitar how do the cheaper se models compare ?

If you replace all the parts with their American counterparts... you're about 80-90% of the way to a core.

Honestly, I love the SE line. Not just for what it makes available to the entry market (there was only sh!te when I was 14 just learning, if you didn't buy major name brand), but how much quality and playability in a very reasonable price range. I have 3 SEs that fill very specific requirements and don't overlap my core models, so I can't necessarily make a comparison, but the SEs hold their own. Like Serge mentioned, you can always replace the tuners, bridge, nut, and pickups and get really close to a core. But considering that PRS spends a month on every core guitar's neck - alone - there are differences. Grab an SE and decide for yourself. I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm gona try one out I've heard good things about them I've heard that standard is pretty high for the price

As mentioned above, the SE line are very good guitars...period.
Compared to the core line, I think they even offer some advantages...
Way more affordable...especially if you buy used...collect them all!
If a certain model is close but not quite exactly what you're after, there's no guilt in modding it.
If you're playing out, you don't have to worry or be so protective of your 'precious' ... just rock that sucker!
Also an inexpensive way to 'test drive' different models without the depreciation penalty.
And as Boogie mentioned, some of the SE's stand tall on their own...

I had an SE Cu22 Semi-Hollow. It was a great guitar. I traded it in on an S2.

S2s come stock with everything I wanted to put on my SE (bigger frets, core nut, locking tuners, low friction volume pot).

When you buy a guitar and some time later you just know that you are never going to part with it you have a bargain regardless of what you paid for it. One of my such guitars is a PRS SE. With the exception of but a few, the guitars that I have paid large sums of money for, when the honeymoon period is over, I have cared less for and moved them on with no regrets.

You can be unlucky and find a new SE that has problems but these are often minor and are setup related. This forum is perhaps not the best place to ask. Look at the SE reviews on websites and forums elsewhere. They are usually glowing.

Hmmm... that's one of only two gripes I have about the SE line in general.
I wish they had bigger frets, and that the inside corners of the nut weren't ALWAYS sharp!

Small matters though, really....

MY SE Standard 24 is sensational. Bought used but mint and I mean mint. The trem had clearly been messed with but I sorted it out myself and I rarely need to touch the tuners once they are nicely stretched out, save for changes in temperature. A short while ago I put locking tuners on it. Didn't really need them but as cheap as I am sometimes I can be silly with money. The frets are nice and chunky. Medium jumbo maybe. Have an older flat top SE Custom 22. The frets are nowhere near as substantial but this can be a good thing too. Both have their merits.

I wish they had bigger frets, and that the inside corners of the nut weren't ALWAYS sharp!
The frets on my One never seemed small. Not DGT jumbo, but substantial. Then again, I was playing my old LP Jr. the other day and those frets are tiny. However, none of mine had sharp fret tangs.

I think you're right that certain models do have slightly larger frets. Even the 'smaller' ones sometimes have their advantages. Certainly nothing wrong with them
I don't recall any of the SE's I've tried ever having fret sprout. I was referring to the corners of the nut....

My first PRS was a Tremonti SE it was a GREAT guitar for the $$$ i replaced the nut with a core nut it was cut much better and allowed me to get a better setup in the end it was a nice guitar that didn't really speak to me, when I got my first core model I knew where I needed to be

I was referring to the corners of the nut....
And you know, if I had actually read your post carefully, I would have completely agreed! (Getting older and tired by 6pm is a total drag) :D

I've sanded down the nut corners of every SE I've had in my possession. That is annoying.

If you replace all the parts with their American counterparts... you're about 80-90% of the way to a core.

Agree, and if the SEs had carved tops I'd be getting 5 or so and mod them up... my SE22 is still below an S2 price tag despite all the US parts... now if S2s had carved tops, hmmm...

Back