How can you do that: Heavily blemished Private Stock CU 22

F

Frox

I discovered this offer today and it really hurts: PRS Private Stock Custom 22.

This one is heavily blemished, with the pickup rings missing, many scratches on the body, not working trem etc.

Was wondering what it would cost to repair this guitar - I don't wanna buy it, just pure interest...

Cheers
Frank

People pay serious money for fake wear that looks like that

There was a used artist package custom 22 quilt top in blue mateo once at a GC for $1100.00. The quilt top was really nicely figured. The thing was, it had been in a car wreck. From what the gc employee told me the owner actually died in the accident. I guess his family sold it to GC for God only knows how cheap to help cover funeral expenses. The guitar looked like you would expect a guitar that had been in a car wreck to look. I passed on it. Too much bad mojo going on with that one.

This guitar is absolutely hammered, real or not. The signatures on the headstock look convincing, but the pickups look like replacements, as does the switch. But even if all was legit, this looks like it got beaten in an alley and run over by a truck or two. For what it would take to resurrect this guitar, you could easily buy a 2016 CU22. That someone thinks this guitar is a bargain at 3900 Euros is smoking the doobie. Thanks for the entertainment, though.

In a German forum, we discussed whether he might have tried to age the guitar. There's a LP Custom he offers which is more or less in the same conditions, but you can actually see the wood below the finish. Looks like a drilling machine was used or so.

And and in April 2015, he offered the same CU 22 and a SE Custom 22 with a body split in two or three parts and the fretboard being destroyed as well.

@archey : Sad story. :(

There is 'distressing' and there is distressing 'distressing'.

People pay big bucks for the former.

The latter makes me weep.

Relic'ing a Strat or Les Paul is understandable (although I personally wouldn't buy one). But a relic'd PRS just doesn't work.

Relic'ing a Strat or Les Paul is understandable (although I personally wouldn't buy one). But a relic'd PRS just doesn't work.
Nope, I don't get it. I mean I have abused a few Stratocasters, but that was always onstage purely for the show aspect. It was not about trying to make a guitar look like it has been played, like it has mojo.

But we live in a society that thinks you can manufacture anything, including mojo. Fine for those that are into it, but their ranks don't include me. BB King managed to play Lucille for years without it getting all scraped up, so I really don't see the 'mojo', even at a fake level, of taking a rasp to your guitar.

A German colleague contacted the seller:

He stated that only the gloss finish is gone. Signs of usage have been caused by the plec.
Everything else would be in flawless condition.

The colleague asked some more questions: Why is the gloss gone? Did he try to relic or age the PRS? Is the vibrato system without screws? What is really and actually missing of the guitar?
Are headstock and fretboard just dusty or did he try to sand that parts aswell?

The lastest anwer: The seller told he sprayed some transparency coating on the guitar and funnily enough the gloss disappeared.
He will assamble the guitar again, and he will update pictures after having dust the guitar.

Oh, my dear!

Just me, but I would stay far away from this one........

Yeah sure. I mean, you could buy a new PRS from the money invested into this guitar. But we just can't imagine how somebody can treat a 8500 Euro Private Stock this way. It's basically worthless.. ;-)

He holds - I guess - a university degree in engineering. Every ding and dong is figured out.

University of Cluelessness Summa Cum Ondudegivemeaf%ckingbreak. With Valedicktoriaintgonnatouchthatwithatenfootpole Honors.

Back