"Hired Gun" on Netflix

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
Had I not been a follower of Kenny Aronoff on Twitter, I would haven't had a clue this movie existed. The stories of 'hired guns' in some of the biggest bands on the planet. Many interviews and insights into the up and down lives of the 'sidemen' that come and go and still have to pay the bills. Very well done.

Highly Recommended.

Watched it. Some interesting stories from people I hadn't heard before.

It also reminded me of some of the ways being a musician really sucks.

I missed this the night it played in theaters, but I bought the Blu-Ray when it was released. Haven't watched it yet, but I haven't heard a bad review of it.

It was great to also see Liberty Devitto featured in the film but it certainly did not paint a very flattering picture of Billy Joel and how he treated his band.

There's a bio of Billy Joel out - I haven't bought it, but I skimmed through it to check out the Liberty Devitto and Richie Stegmeyer parts. I can't say how accurate it really is, but Joel does not come off well.

I started watching it last night and will hopefully conclude tonight. as someone who has never worked in the industry (i'm purely a hobbyist) it's really eye opening to the commitment some of these people make without any job security. Some cracking guitarists on it too!!

Oh yeah, that movie was great. I have tried SOOOO hard over the years to bust into the "side-man" world - to no avail. Despite my ideas, I am NOWHERE near that level of player, lol.....

I have tried SOOOO hard over the years to bust into the "side-man" world - to no avail. Despite my ideas, I am NOWHERE near that level of player, lol.....

I did that for awhile, and just like the movie says it's more about being cool, dependable, and easy to get along with than it is about being the best player.

But honestly, you don't want that job, it's rough. I laugh-cried at the part where the dudes from Billy Joel explained how you never get a call if you're out, you just see the band playing without you somewhere. The last gig I lost I found out from an Instagram post that they had "all new members" and a "new direction"... more like they just replaced the bass player and omitted my position. :rolleyes::p

Cool? Maybe not in the reality of it.....but cool reply!!

I have done a few "nice" auditions over the years but never get the gig. My contract with my management runs out in the first quarter of 2018. I'm not gonna renew. I am enjoying the band I am in and what we're doing. I am just old enough now that trying to "get there" is a burden, lol. I play out often enough doing music I really dig in front of "decent" (for all original music) crowds that I am happy. And, happiness is key!!!

Now, if I could tour in THOR's band - That'd be the icing!!!! (total joke - watch "I Am Thor" on Netflix!!!)

Cool? Maybe not in the reality of it.....but cool reply!!

I have done a few "nice" auditions over the years but never get the gig. My contract with my management runs out in the first quarter of 2018. I'm not gonna renew. I am enjoying the band I am in and what we're doing. I am just old enough now that trying to "get there" is a burden, lol. I play out often enough doing music I really dig in front of "decent" (for all original music) crowds that I am happy. And, happiness is key!!!

Now, if I could tour in THOR's band - That'd be the icing!!!! (total joke - watch "I Am Thor" on Netflix!!!)

Happiness is key!

I mean, I shouldn't tell people what they want or what they should do. Everybody's life experience is different, and I don't wanna be negative.

It's just that it's a tough life that is glamorized, kinda like how being a Chef is glamorized now.

Happiness is key!

I mean, I shouldn't tell people what they want or what they should do. Everybody's life experience is different, and I don't wanna be negative.

It's just that it's a tough life that is glamorized, kinda like how being a Chef is glamorized now.

Oh, no worries man!!! I did an audition in November. I had to bring a physical!!!! Once management (artist) looked through that, I didn't even plug in. The show is heavy on strobes and I am epileptic. VERY controlled by my meds, but it was a new level eye-opener. It's all cool. It was also in the process of that 'audition" that I really realized that the thought of traveling and living the life of a "youngster" (late hours, little pay, somebody else's schedule) just no longer appealed to me.

Tomorrow night I am headlining my own show. I'll enjoy a "grampa dinner" at Cracker Barrel with my drummer. He enjoys the Chicken and Rice special, and I am all about the Chicken Fried Chicken with a double order of mac-n-cheese. We'll roll into the venue after a "good" meal. We'll mingle and watch the support bands, take the stage, do our set and go home to our own homes. I'll get to play with my kittens, hang out with my wife, and hit Disney World on Sunday. THAT's the life, lol!!!

...and just like the movie says it's more about being cool, dependable, and easy to get along with than it is about being the best player.

I'm nowhere near the greatest in the world at my instruments. From the mid-80s to the early 90s, I tried to "make it" in music. Failed miserably, but watching documentaries like this one help me to not feel like a failure in that regard.

When I was gigging, regardless of the instrument, I'd get a lot of calls. There was a time when I was truly busy. Before long, I had a reputation, which resulted in fewer auditions and more invitations to just do it.

My "secret" to all of it was stuff that just made common sense. I'd be well-rehearsed and know my stuff when we're in a room that costs money, be it band rehearsal or recording. I show up early enough to have time left over to change a flat tire. I can play AND sing. I don't swing my ego around like a giant stick, trying to hit everyone with it. I play for the song, and not in a way where I have to have attention. I don't party or get wasted before a show. AFTER the show, we can party, but even then, I won't be passing out or puking everywhere.

Most of that has nothing to do with playing an instrument, outside of being rehearsed and prepared. It's work ethic and a desire to do a great job.

I can't tell you how many "musicians" I've encountered over the years who don't want to get together to play, because football was more important. Make that "basketball" when I lived in Indiana.

But the most confusing ones are those who will go through the trouble to audition, taking things to a certain point, and the bailing out at the last minute. I think that in most cases this is pure fear. When a band is writing and rehearsal, the logical next steps are either recording or performing. I've seen stage fright and the fear of tape machines. It's not pretty.

I didn't recognize it right away, and it would be confusing. I'd tell myself that I moved over 2,000 miles to this crap city so that I can take a honest swing at this. Who moves to LA, goes to auditions, and then bails out without warning or explanation?

Most of these situations were not nearly as big as what is in the documentary, but it's where many people will start, with the hopes of being discovered and brought into the fold.

When you have two musicians who are similar in ability, the deciding factor can be something as simple as being easy to get along with, or having a certain look. My look worked against me in the late 80s, when everyone had big hair, was pretty, and had an Italian last name or a stage name. Those things were desirable in the A-list players of that time, and I didn't have it.

I figured I'm eternally B-list, although today I don't see myself on a list at all. I just love playing my instruments, and don't care about getting paid, having an audience, or even playing songs. I've gotten to meet some of the people in this documentary, and they're level-headed people. That helps to keep them in demand.

Back