Hi, Paul Allender SE or Customer 24 SE?

disfigured

Hi folks,

You had no introduction section so I'm just jumping right in with why I need to be here, with a general Hello....... Hello.

Due to economic circumstances beyond my control, about 3 years ago I had to sell my '82 Gibson Explorer. It was a wedding present from my wife (not new we were married about 12 years ago). Needless to say it was nearly as painful for her as it was for me. Well things are better now and she encouraged me to replace it. Problem is, while I liked it, it was a pain to play sitting down, they're hard to find, and I've always wanted an LP. Well the LPs within my price range weren't what I wanted. A co-worker dropped the PRS name and I fell in love with the double cutaways. Just the right shape if you ask me, subtle curves yet bold. Heard nothing but positive things about them including the SE division. I want a double cutaway, I'm saving the single cutaway for an LP in the future. Esthetically I don't want a single cutaway PRS. If I only own a few guitars in my life I want my single cutaway to be an LP.

So I narrowed it down to the Paul Allender SE or the Custom 24 SE.

My problem is I'm a hack (compared to you real musicians). I'm self taught, although I did have extensive music training in a very intense H.S curriculum ( 30 years ago). I owned a '67 Fender Jaguar quite a few years ago but that's gone (first wife ;) , long story). A handful of cheap acoustics over the years, you get the idea. I like playing riffs and rhythm I'm not interested too much in solo/lead/improvisation. I essentially plugin in the basement and shred. Make up my own stuff or just play my favorite riffs. I have an old amp (came with the Jaguar when I got that) that has a stock distortion pedal. I'm going to start playing again, practicing, and might even take a lesson or two, or avail myself to all the online stuff that's out now. I'm not in band (but I'm not ruling it out either). I'm more likely to start recording things on my PC, I build custom gaming rigs and a decent media type PC would be cheap for me to build (just parts and time spent building).

So the questions:

• What's the difference for a player like me between the EMGs and the PRS Humbuckers respectively . In so far as the benefits of each for certain types of music.
  • The major brick and mortar chain near my home (I think you can guess who that is) offers only the purple version Paul Allender. But a Missouri brick and mortar offers a red Paul Allender on Ebay and on their website. It appears to have the EMGs, but no "piping" along the edges of the body. Is it a 2013 or is it a left over model ? I ask because the PRS website doesn't list red as a color. The guitar is also less expensive.
  • Are the bats on the neck too juvenile for a 50 yo? LOL. The bats are how I feel inside and more akin to what I play (riff it up). But I personally like the birds from esthetic standpoint, I think they are depicted more accurately.
  • At my age this guitar is as much a decoration as it is a musical instrument. It will be displayed prominently somewhere in the house. So is the lack of piping on the red Allender make it that much less impressive than the other 2 with piping (if that's what it's called).

If you need more info, ask...I'm sure there's things about me and how I play that will help.

Thanks for any contributions, suggestions, advice, needling, or criticisms.

Hey buddy, welcome aboard!

They are essentially the same guitars from a construction standpoint so I think it all boils down to personal preference, if you dig the bats and can rock 'em without hesitation and they fit in with your homes decor I say go for it! Up until a month or so ago I shared your sentiments about Les Pauls and the PRS Singlecut model, I urge you to get out and try an SE Singlecut if you haven't already, it may change your mind as well.

Hey buddy, welcome aboard! They are essentially the same guitars from a construction standpoint so I think it all boils down to personal preference, if you dig the bats and can rock 'em without hesitation and they fit in with your homes decor I say go for it! Up until a month or so ago I shared your sentiments about Les Pauls and the PRS Singlecut model, I urge you to get out and try an SE Singlecut if you haven't already, it may change your mind as well.

So you don't think the difference in EMGs vs. PRS Humbuckers is significant enough to make a difference? Probably not considering my level of experience (or lack there of).

I did some further research on the red Paul Allender I found for sale. From what I can determine it's a 2012. It has no natural body binding (piping as I called it in my first post), but appears to have a carved top. That and the fact is has EMGs I'm making the leap it's a 2012. It's against the rules to link or promote sales so I can't show it here, but I've very curious about it. I'm going to call the dealer (listed as a certified on on t he PRS website) and inquire further about it.

As far as the single cutaway goes, and no offense to PRS, it's got to be an LP. If I thought in the future I could afford many guitars, including more than one single cutaway it wouldn't be an issue. I know it's an entirely an emotional way of choosing a guitar, but if I only own one single cutaway I want it to be a U.S LP, not even an Epiphone. Like I said no offense to PRS. I just want to eventually own an iconic LP. Perhaps even a beatup oldie but goodie from a secondhand/pawn shop.

I think either will make a fine addition to my home's decor. From a purely esthetic standpoint, I think the EMGs look much better. The PRS humbuckers look out of place on the these tops IMO. Totally shallow and non-technical assessment of a guitar, but it's the way I feel about their looks.

Anywho..... I'm going to pull the trigger on this in the next few days.

Thanks.

Personally i think the only differences between the two are the pickups, choice of finish and the inlays. Firstly, EMGs need batteries so that's something to think about before pulling the trigger. You can also get a pair of plastic pickup covers and just pop it into the SE Custom 24 easily if you prefer the look of it. The EMGs will sound clearer in clean, while the passive units sound warmer. In high gain situations, the EMG puts out more power with retained clarity, while the passive ones sound more organic but gets muddy when the gain is overdone. EMGs will generally be quieter than passive pickups, including humbuckers. That said, the PA model is basically an SE Custom 24 with EMGs, while the SE Custom 24 is the flagship "core" model in the SE range.

However, guitars work like this. There's no need for deep technical assessment when it comes to buying guitars. If you like it, just go get it!

edit: Since you liked the PA model, just go with it! :cheers: From how you said it, I had a feeling that if you went with the SE Custom 24, it won't get as much playtime as the PA ;)

Last edited:
Personally i think the only differences between the two are the pickups, choice of finish and the inlays. Firstly, EMGs need batteries so that's something to think about before pulling the trigger. You can also get a pair of plastic pickup covers and just pop it into the SE Custom 24 easily if you prefer the look of it. The EMGs will sound clearer in clean, while the passive units sound warmer. In high gain situations, the EMG puts out more power with retained clarity, while the passive ones sound more organic but gets muddy when the gain is overdone. EMGs will generally be quieter than passive pickups, including humbuckers. That said, the PA model is basically an SE Custom 24 with EMGs, while the SE Custom 24 is the flagship "core" model in the SE range.

However, guitars work like this. There's no need for deep technical assessment when it comes to buying guitars. If you like it, just go get it!

edit: Since you liked the PA model, just go with it! :cheers: From how you said it, I had a feeling that if you went with the SE Custom 24, it won't get as much playtime as the PA ;)

Thanks for the discription of the pickups. Sound like I'm an EMG guy. Batteries don't bother me either, I'll just buy a handful and put them in the case/amp. I'm not traveling or gigging with it.

I called the shop with the red PA, it's a 2011 or '12. Employee promptly answer the phone (as advertised). Which is good. But the picture of their guitar is a stock PRS photo. He said his "photo guy" is gone for the week he's been sent to NAMM. My concern is this. While researching photos of the red PA I've come across this :

p1_u1n0k301d_so.jpg

Not a very good looking guitar if you ask me. The fade from black to red is too abrupt.

While I have no idea if the photos of the purple 2013's are stock or the actual guitar, I've never seen one with this type of fading. They (purple 2013's) are all very well blended. At least I haven't seen one that looks like this.

Is the finish a crapshoot? Can they be this varied, or this just an anomoly or lighting problem?

Thanks again,

I work retail and I realize how irritating questions like these can be, I hate to be that person, but I feel I have to be. Thing is I the type of person who wouldn't return a guitar unless it was actually "broken", I'd just keep it, so I like to do all my research prior to purchase.

Sounds like I'm an EMG type player. I like deadspace when I create riffs. Silence between the mayhem so to speak. Think "Clean my Wounds" by COC.

I called the shop selling the red PA. It's probably a 2011 or '12. I was concerned though when he told me the picture of it is the stock PRS picture. His "photo guy" is off for the week attending NAMM, so he couldn't get me a photo the actual guitar itself. I'm concerned because during an image search of red PAs I came across this:

p1_u1n0k301d_so.jpg

Not a very attractive finish IMO. The colors change way too abruptly. Even though I don't know whether the purple 2013's I've been viewing are actual photos or stock PRS photos, I've never seen a picture of a purple 2013 that looks this odd.

Is the guitar above a fluke, or possibly something with the lighting. Most red PAs I do a search for look similar to the purple ones I've done search for, more along the lines of this:

PRS_New_Allender.png

Can the finishes vary this much?

I hate to be a pain, believe me I know, I'm in retail on the front lines. But I'm the type of person, once I buy it I wouldn't complain or return something due to esthetics. Even though that's a concern of mine. Hell even a minor blemish or two and I'd probably just accept it. So I generally do all my research thoroughly, because I know I'm going to be keeping whatever it is. Hell I've eaten entire meals that were wrong at restaurants because I didn't want to be P.I.T.A.

Thanks for tolerating what I know from first hand knowledge is aggravating........

Thanks, I think I'm an EMG guy. Another tick mark in favor of the PA.

I contacted the store selling the red PA. It's a 2011 or '12. The employee said the picture of it was a stock PRS photo. His "photo guy" was attending NAMM this week. My concern about this guitar now is, when I do a search of red PAs, I'm finding some with an abrupt transition from black to red, unlike the 2013 purple ones that seem very consistant (from photo to photo, regardless of website). What I don't want to wind up with is a guitar that looks like this:

p1_u1n0k301d_so.jpg

Thanks for an info.

Thanks, I think I'm an EMG guy. Another tick mark in favor of the PA.

I contacted the store selling the red PA. It's a 2011 or '12. The employee said the picture of it was a stock PRS photo. His "photo guy" was attending NAMM this week. My concern about this guitar now is, when I do a search of red PAs, I'm finding some with an abrupt transition from black to red, unlike the 2013 purple ones that seem very consistant (from photo to photo, regardless of website). What I don't want to wind up with is a guitar that looks like this:

p1_u1n0k301d_so.jpg

Thanks for an info.

Yeah...do try as many as you can. And do look at the SE SCs like the 245, Bernie Marsden, Tremonti SE Custom...just for poops and giggls.
As for affording an iconic USA Les Paul...the Studio is a REAL Les Paul and they can be had at MusiciansFriend for like $799 (for a satin finished one) and that is pretty hard to beat. And if you ever get married again and have to sell it, you'll lose next to NOTHING on a LP Studio. A USA Paul just doesn't get less than over $600...EVER!

If you aren't in a huge rush and the colors of the PRSs in the stores near you don't do it for you, have them order one in a color you like (if it's available on the model you decide upon). Or order one online yourself. A good thing about PRSs, even the SEs is their consistency. Ordering a Gibson sight unseen is a gamble. Not so much so with PRS.
Don't forget about neck carves. The SEs have WF and WT. I don't know what carve the PA comes with. I believe the SE CU is WT.
The neck carve might be the deciding factor for you.

I was shopping for an SE at the end of May and the PA was a top runner (with the SE CU and Tremonti SE Custom) but the bats killed it for me. It was a Birthday guitar. I only turned 49 and not 50 yet but I felt like you the OP...I'm too old for bats. Plus I don't play "bat style" metal or heavy stuff.
However, at a distance, the bats just look like birds anyway.

BEWARE though OP. You say NOW that only a Gibson will do for a SC. That's like a person saying...yeah I'll try the crack/rock but I'm really a powder cocaine lover so after this one crack hit I'll be going back to the powder.
Hey I have no personal experience with that scenario but I know...once you go blac...I mean PRS...it aint too easy to come back.
I think crack has a "kick rate" of like 5%? Meaning that of 100 people with a crack problem, only 5% will ever KICK the stuff. Meth is even worse but PRS guitars are KING.
Good LUCK buying/owning only ONE!!

I had a Paul Allender for a few days but returned it due to jumbo frets. That's the biggest difference playing-wise. The SE C24 will have standard fret height, the PA will have the jumbo. I was struggling with it due to playing a 12 string so much I was pressing too hard and causing notes to sharpen. Otherwise, I actually liked the PA's tone a bit more, but that's purely a personal thing.

Thanks for the input.

I couldn't reply for a while, I think I'm on some type of restriction. Didn't notice the "awaiting mod approval" must have tried 5 times to post a long winded reply LOL. OR it could have been because I was attaching pictures. We'll find out when I hit the "submit" button this time. ;).

The thing with the LP is I want one with binding on it. Cherry Heritage most likely and they start at around $1700.00, and as you said even then the finish is a gamble.

But here's my concern now. I called the store that had the red PA. It is as suspected a 2012 or '11. No binding (natural or otherwise), and EMG's. My concern is when I did a search for red PAs I saw some rather rough finishes. Unlike with the purple 2013 PAs where the finish was consistant in every photo I could find. The employee (owner's son) said his "photo guy" was at NAMM this week and was unavailable to get me a picture of their actual instock guitar. This is what I'm worried about. I'm seeing several photos online of red PAs with abrupt transitions from the black to the red. It's not subtle either, the change from black to read occurs in a fraction of an inch. They almost looked spray painted black along the edge. Not something I would be happy with when it arrives. Although I'm the type to probably keep it because I hate being a P.I.T.A.

Can the finishes vary this much.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

One big factor could be the lighting, or editing of the pic. Some dealers use dark backgrounds for pics, while some others used white background, or some just take the pics in-store and upload them. The environment's lighting are very different here, so that's something to think about. Why not meet up with your dealer/seller or ask him to send you some pics? That'll clear things up :)

edit: i've checked the 2012 models, i don't think the red one is a 2012 model. Only pre-2012 models come with the flat-top, arm contour and no binding. Are you sure your dealer/seller is reliable?

Last edited:
One big factor could be the lighting, or editing of the pic. Some dealers use dark backgrounds for pics, while some others used white background, or some just take the pics in-store and upload them. The environment's lighting are very different here, so that's something to think about. Why not meet up with your dealer/seller or ask him to send you some pics? That'll clear things up :)

edit: i've checked the 2012 models, i don't think the red one is a 2012 model. Only pre-2012 models come with the flat-top, arm contour and no binding. Are you sure your dealer/seller is reliable?

He said and I qoute: "my photo guy is at NAMM this week". They're listed as an authorized dealer at the PRS website. Answered the phone promptly as their motto said they would. It appears they are legit, they have a website, an Ebay store, but what appears to be only a warehouse at their Google location (street view).

I wish I could post links to the item but I don't think it's allowed. But here's an example (hopefully just a link won't prevent me from posting) of what I'm wary of getting: http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/2748486/p1_u1n0k301d_so.jpg

Notice how the finish, even with taking lighting into account changes from black to red very abruptly. Also the center color is very bright and not muted like most I've seen (no matter which color) . I've never seen a picture of a single purple 2013 that looks this way. It very well could be a flat top making it a 2011. He said he had lost track of it in his inventory and just put it online. Which I've actually done myself. Working for a huge retailer in a higher end department our inventory can vary.

If it were a $200.00 Strat or LP knockoff, I wouldn't be so picky. And even though it's not a U.S.A PRS, I'm still purchasing the item for it's craftsmanship and esthetic value. I don't want to be a whiny customer, so I'd rather avoid getting into that situation in the first place. I understand the finishes can vary, and that the grains and how they line up when being booked is not an exact science, but I really wouldn't be happy with something similar to the example I linked to above.

Am I being far too picky?

Thanks again for any input, perhaps I could PM one of you the exact seller's item if you wouldn't mind.

He said and I qoute: "my photo guy is at NAMM this week". They're listed as an authorized dealer at the PRS website. Answered the phone promptly as their motto said they would. It appears they are legit, they have a website, an Ebay store, but what appears to be only a warehouse at their Google location (street view). He said he had lost track of it in his inventory and just put it online. Which I've actually done myself. Working for a huge retailer in a higher end department our inventory can vary.

I wish I could post links to the item(s) but it's not allowed.

If it were a $200.00 Strat or LP knockoff, I wouldn't be so picky. And even though it's not a U.S.A PRS, I'm still purchasing the item for its craftsmanship and esthetic value. I don't want to be a whiny customer, so I'd rather avoid getting into that situation in the first place. I understand the finishes can vary, and that the grains and how they line up when being booked is not an exact science. But a few photos of some of the red ones are giving me concern.

Am I being far too picky?

Thanks again for any input, perhaps I could PM one of you the exact seller's item if you wouldn't mind, and picture of some of red PA's I find to be "unacceptable".

Hey there, and welcome!

Don't worry about being too picky. To be honest, a PRS guitar (USA or SE) is both an instrument AND an art piece. When I bought my Custom 24 I had about 3 or 4 candidates with varying finishes and features, but the one I walked away with still takes my breath away to this day. It's one of the reasons why I got it...it really stood out to me and playing it only sealed the deal. My point is, don't worry about waiting that little extra time or being a bit reserved about your choice. I'd go with what your heart tells you (as cheesy as it sounds) kind of like your choice about never settling for a SC other than a LP. That's both understandable and respectable. This should be the same.

well, it could have been stocked-in by them in 2012, but that unbound one is definitely pre-2012, maybe they listed it wrongly, oh well we just have to forgive them, after all they don't produce the guitars and they're where we get our guitars from! I still feel that it could have been lighting problems, regarding the burst finishing. Fire away to my inbox, let me take a closer look :D is it possible for you to find out the first letter of the serial number as well? It'll help in determining which year is it made.

Thanks again guys for all the help

Hey there, and welcome!

Don't worry about being too picky. To be honest, a PRS guitar (USA or SE) is both an instrument AND an art piece. When I bought my Custom 24 I had about 3 or 4 candidates with varying finishes and features, but the one I walked away with still takes my breath away to this day. It's one of the reasons why I got it...it really stood out to me and playing it only sealed the deal. My point is, don't worry about waiting that little extra time or being a bit reserved about your choice. I'd go with what your heart tells you (as cheesy as it sounds) kind of like your choice about never settling for a SC other than a LP. That's both understandable and respectable. This should be the same.

This it my intent. The problem is the dealer with one of my possible choices used a stock PRS photo. He's seems reluctant to send me a photo of the actual guitar itself. His reason was, his "photo guy" as he put it is at NAMM this week. I E-mailed him and requested a photo saying that it would greatly help in deciding whether to purchase the guitar. He's also reduced the price of it on Ebay since our conversation. To tell you the truth I would have purchased it, if not for some of the photos I found online of red PAs that didn't look quite right at all. They're probably flukes, I understand it's an art form as well as a musical instrument. I'm wary of purchasing this red one sight unseen because of the variations I'm seeing in the photos, the purple 2013's don't seem to vary this much at all. I wish you could see what I'm concerned about, it's not minor either. Hell I might consider a guitar like the worst examples I've seen at a reduced price, sort of the runt in the litter. But for over $700.00 I want the guitar to at least represent its intended look. Smaller variations in fade, stain, and grain I understand and they are what give each its own personality and uniqueness. Perhaps you could agree to have me PM the pictures that make me concerned as did MaxTuna. It would be so much easier if you saw what I'm concerned about.

well, it could have been stocked-in by them in 2012, but that unbound one is definitely pre-2012, maybe they listed it wrongly, oh well we just have to forgive them, after all they don't produce the guitars and they're where we get our guitars from! I still feel that it could have been lighting problems, regarding the burst finishing. Fire away to my inbox, let me take a closer look :D is it possible for you to find out the first letter of the serial number as well? It'll help in determining which year is it made.

Thanks Max,

Yeah I'll shoot you a PM of the pictures of red PA's I'm wary of getting. I've only found a couple but they're pretty extreme in their finishes. Right now the biggest problem is the distributor seemed unable to send me a picture of the actual guitar itself. I'd buy a purple 2013 sight unseen, because every photo I've searched for only had slight variations on finish. But the red ones have some fairly brutal finishes that just don't look correct, or at least are not what was intended. It's nothing against this fellow. He seemed helpful and honest over the phone just unable to grant my request. He's also reduced the price of the guitar on his Ebay store, which I found odd. I'll shoot that PM off to you, and again thanks.

Thank you mods for approving my posts that had pictures. Sorry for the multiple posts, I didn't see the message about approving certain replies (one's with pictures or links in them). Feel free to delete post numbers 7 and 8.

Now anyone viewing this thread can see what I'm talking about. The picture of the red Paul Allender isn't quite what I'd want. It's not horrible but by that picture it doesn't seem to fall within the variations I've seen of the new 2013 models. Perhaps it's an extreme fluke type of thing, but I'd be a bit disspointed if it my purchase looked this way.

Am I wrong or does the finish on the red PA look "off" to you guys?

Dilema is over....... thanks

Thanks guys ,but the drama is over.

Looked online again and a Boston shop had a 2013 PA instock. The guitar manager was able to take pictures of it for me, he also price matched an online competitor, and shipped it to the New Hampshire store so I didn't have to pay taxes on it. Pictures looked very much like what I expected for a finish........, And as an added bonus it was signed by Paul Reed Smith. Kinda neat.

I think i wanted the PA from the start, and with the price nearly the same as the Custom 24 my budget concerns where aleiviated, that and with actual pictures of the product sealed the deal.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I'll post in the "MY SE" section when I get more pics of it.

I see you've made your decision and I think it's a tough call between the PA and CU24. I've always liked the idea of the PA but personally, I would (and did) go the other way. There are a number of reasons for this.

1) Pickup selector. The new Custom 24's have the switch in a far more natural position while the PA still has it behind the bridge like the old CU24 models. Having the toggle switch behind the bridge was one of the very few things I REALLY didn't like about the old model. It was awkward to get to, felt unnatural, it was easier to find yourself on the wrong pickup and was just generally silly. The new blade switch on the new CU24 models is far better. For me, this is a big reason for preferring the CU24.

2) Pickups. Personally, I just really don't like active pickups. They tend to be sterile, don't let the natural tone of the guitar come through, lack versatility and generally have no soul. Passive pickups are more dynamic, have more warmth and more depth to the tone. What's more, the stock pups in a CU24 are actually quite good, though I still replace them with Bare Knuckles, which are vastly superior to any other pickup I've ever tried.

3) Bats/Birds. This is a really tough one because I really like the bats myself but I'd prefer birds simply because it's less obviously 'Metal'. I've no real issue with the bats though; they look cool.

Bottom line though is that they're both lovely guitars and I'm sure you'll love it :beer:

Back