HFS/VB vs 85/15

Jesse

To be honest, I have yet to play the 85/15's, Although I use to own a CU24 S2 in which I was told the pups in the s2 were very similar to the 85-15's. My current CU24 (core) has the HFS/VB in them. Have them going through a Mesa Mark 35 combo, and the sound is great. The question I have is which do you prefer? And what pups would be better for hard rock?

Both will work perfectly fine for hard rock, no doubt.

I have had a CE24 with the HFS/VB combo, but I never got along with them. Judging by another guitar I've had, I just don't like the sound of ceramic pickups (when playing myself, anyway). Something about the attack. It's very possible my tastes will evolve :)

Meanwhile I have a CU24 with 86/15s in it. Those are AWESOME, and perfectly suited for hard rock as well.

The question of whether a pickup is a better or worse choice for a given style begs another question - namely, whose version of hard rock? Yours, someone else's? The variety of tones people use to create music in every genre is immense.

You might be surprised at what people are out there using in ways you might not think of, to make records, for example.

So really it boils down to which pickups drive an amp the way you like, or work best for your tones, your effects (if any), etc.

The question of whether a pickup is a better or worse choice for a given style begs another question - namely, whose version of hard rock? Yours, someone else's? The variety of tones people use to create music in every genre is immense.

You might be surprised at what people are out there using in ways you might not think of, to make records, for example.

So really it boils down to which pickups drive an amp the way you like, or work best for your tones, your effects (if any), etc.
Well said :)

Back