Help

gush

Where is that speedo pic
So tonight we set up to play and my amp makes a continuous and fast "pop pop pop pop" sound.

Has anybody had tubes do that? Mine are getting old but they haven't given me any trouble so I don't know what to think. We have a ton of gigs and i really don't want amp layin down on me.

I was able to keep amp volume down so popping would stay below the gate when not playing.

Thanks

I'm no amp head but sounds like static arc'ing. When's the last time you dusted off the electronics? If you believe it a tube, is your amp multi channel? Popping happens on both/all channels? maybe isolate/swap tubes (matching tube of course)? Tap the tubes with a screwdriver affect anything?
Clearly not a good thing. Good luck.

Maybe something unique to the venue's environment? Was it continuous, like an electric starter on a gas grill?

Maybe something unique to the venue's environment? Was it continuous, like an electric starter on a gas grill?

Exactly like a starter on a gas grill. I tried both channels, different cables, different speaker cab, pulling effects loop out, 3 different outlets. Didn't matter if guitar was plugged in or not. We've played this venue before without issues.

This is my 1994 5150.

And how is it performing today after a nice long warm up and play?
You may need power conditioning if it's clean as a whistle today.

I'm not going to have time to fool with it today. I do use a furman but it's a glorified power strip and not the high dollar unit.

I've never had my amp do this in the time I've owned it.

Not that it's easy to predict what the issue might be with a 23 year old amp, but most problems with amps come down to tubes.

Back