Help with wiring

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a CE24 that has push pull on both Vol and Tone pots. The Vol has been showing signs of failure and I want to replace it.

The guitar came to me this way and the wiring really is a mess. I want to keep the switching the way it is but start over from scratch.

I don't think it's quite right the way it is. I don't see a 180pfd on the volume and even though it looks to have a tone cap I'm not sure of the value. This guitar has noise my others don't and the 5909 I have in it doesn't sound like it should.

Did prs make a guitar with push pull on both Vol and tone? If so I could look at that schematic. If not then where would you guys go to find a schematic f I r this application?

Thanks for any help I can get.

As far as I know, PRS only has individual coil splits on 4 control guitars e.g. 594s.

You can just copy the schematic from any 3-way toggle w/push-pull and just add in another push-pull by splitting the wiring from the master coil split. Just have one split wire going to each push-pull, and wire it so these wires go to ground (via their respective resistors) when the push-pull is acrivates (Normally Open switch Closed).

2H_3G_1VppSPLn_1TppSPLb.jpg

So, this is generally what you want to do. The difference is, PRS pickups have 3 wires instead of 4, and the hot and ground are different colors from each other on PRS pickups.
So, wherever you see the white and red wires together, that equals the red wire on PRS pickups.
For the bridge pickup, use the black PRS wire where the black wire in the diagram goes, and use the white wire where the green and bare are.
For the neck pickup, use the white PRS pickup wire where the black is in the diagram, and use the black wire where the green/bare are.

I hope that makes sense.

2H_3G_1VppSPLn_1TppSPLb.jpg

So, this is generally what you want to do. The difference is, PRS pickups have 3 wires instead of 4, and the hot and ground are different colors from each other on PRS pickups.
So, wherever you see the white and red wires together, that equals the red wire on PRS pickups.
For the bridge pickup, use the black PRS wire where the black wire in the diagram goes, and use the white wire where the green and bare are.
For the neck pickup, use the white PRS pickup wire where the black is in the diagram, and use the black wire where the green/bare are.

I hope that makes sense.
It does John, I assume still put the 180pfd on lugs 1 and 2 on volume and the tone cap goes where it normally does?

I appreciate the help a bunch..
If this rewire makes my 5909 sound like I think it should then I will put the 5708 bridge back in just to see if it sounds better.

Oh and, the schematic you just provided looks bether than the cluster f___ that's in there now.

It does John, I assume still put the 180pfd on lugs 1 and 2 on volume and the tone cap goes where it normally does?

I appreciate the help a bunch..
If this rewire makes my 5909 sound like I think it should then I will put the 5708 bridge back in just to see if it sounds better.

Yeah, John has got you covered. I highly recommend adding the resistors for the splits like PRS does. Actually, I'd start with a McCarty diagram and just divide the push/pull into two: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2017/mccarty_2017.pdf

Here's a link to the DGT diagram, just because it has a great image of how the push/pull is wired. That part is the same on the McCarty. You would just put the neck half on one push/pull and the bridge half on the other. http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2017/dgt_2017.pdf

Yes, that's correct.

I would also recommend as Garrett does to use the resistors on the splits. I circled the spots for those.

DGx3qVY.jpg

Yes, that's correct.

I would also recommend as Garrett does to use the resistors on the splits. I circled the spots for those.

DGx3qVY.jpg
Oh man. .....that helps me out a bunch.
I have a bunch of used pots in my drawer and I think I have those resisters on a tone pot.

This guitar wiring boggles my mind. If I have a schematic I'm ok but to figure it out on my own....NO WAY.

I got rewire done today and both pickups sound better but I still have a little noise. I ran out of time to mess with it today since I have one last gig with my last band tonight.

Going to gig it tonight see what happens!

I got rewire done today and both pickups sound better but I still have a little noise. I ran out of time to mess with it today since I have one last gig with my last band tonight.

Going to gig it tonight see what happens!

Hope you rocked it hard!

I am completely satisfied with the rewire. I can't get over how much better the split sounds are. Really makes the guitar more versatile by a pretty fair margin.

I didn't have the cap for the tone pot so it just turns the guitar off but I'll fix that.

Thanks for chiming in with the very useful advice guys!

Hope you rocked it hard!

Well about the gig.........we've been playing the same set ist for waaaay too long and is one of the reasons why I've bailed. We were supposed to have a couple of different singers for this last two shows but ended up with the same guy as before.

Boring as hell.

Last night towards the end I stated playing some random stuff this band has never done and it left the singer reaching for his phone to read lyrics. Kind of funny but it worked and took the edge off the boredom.

My guitar and amp sounded killer though and I've become very impressed with the 408 type switching. I just can't get over how much better this guitar sounds with the rewire. The 5909 bridge is a fabulous pickup and proved just how versatile it really is.

Back