Help with sympathetic vibration on the third string (G)

Ape Factory

Standard tuning, I get severe sympathetic vibration on the open G string. I've never noticed it on any of my other guitars, PRS or otherwise. It gets going pretty good especially when playing the intro to "The Ocean" by Zep which is where I first discovered it. This is with a stop tail, individual adjustable saddles. It's particularly bad at the 10th fret, 5th string (G), really causes the open g to vibrate, enough to hear it through the amp and continue through the entire first part of the intro. I'm muting a bit but it's pretty tough to get my hand in there just right. Moved over to my DGT and then my LP, no issues.

Wondering if this is a setup symptom. Strings are new, Pyramid nickel classics. It'll vibrate no matter what string I pluck as long as the G note. I do my own setups and this is a new to me guitar and my first PRS with the adjustable stop tail. I've read that it can be caused by even a bad tuner.

Any help greatly appreciated. It's a really special guitar and I love it except for this one issue. I do have a local dealer that I recently discovered. Was going to head over there on Saturday and bring the guitar with me but if this is something more than just setup, I have a highly skilled local luthier I can bring it to as well.

Thanks in advance!
Michel

Sorry, I don't have any advice about fixing it, but think it's time for some Open G tuning and some Keef riffs!

All guitars have a peak resonance, some just emphasis it more than others. If every G note is causing sympathetic vibrations, you need to determine exatly what is vibrating. Maybe it's a loose strap button screw or tuner button or the pickup. Isolate the area where the noise is coming from and then make sure all the screws are snug.

It's basically the entire G string vibrating between the nut and the bridge. And you can hear it through the amp. I can create this by plucking the G note almost anywhere on the neck with the worst offender being the 10th fret 5th string. I pluck the g note there and the open G third string vibrates quite strongly.

It's basically the entire G string vibrating between the nut and the bridge. And you can hear it through the amp. I can create this by plucking the G note almost anywhere on the neck with the worst offender being the 10th fret 5th string. I pluck the g note there and the open G third string vibrates quite strongly.

I bought a unloved Custom 22 a few years ago that has a similar issue. Took me a while to figure out what I was hearing. I replaced the bridge pickup, thinking I didn't like it. Then I thought I was hearing some fret noise, which caused me to raise the action high enough to throw off the intonation, making me buy a adjustable stop tail. Tried different brands of strings along the way, obviously nothing worked ..

I finally noticed the resonance issue while strumming the guitar unplugged. A couple of my tuners seem pretty jacked up, the tend to bind up unless they are adjusted the loose side.

Please let us know if you isolate your issue. I love this custom 22, I am going to have pro setup done, but if it still has this ear offending glassy resonance, I might have to dump it.

Everything seems to be in spec and I did a bit of fiddling with my other guitars and they all do it to some extent. The Paul's Dirty 100 is the most acoustically loud electric I own. I find the 305 and the DGT do it a lot less but that's probably due to the tremolo. I originally didn't think the LP I just sold did it but it too would get that open g going. I think the 59/09's are a bit more sensitive. I'm by no means the greatest player and I've only really encountered it with this one song. Isn't an issue otherwise. I think I may just have to modify my technique muting the other strings.

Tuners seem to be ok. I like mine to be a hair on the tight side and adjust them as such. Guitar seems to be in spec and I'm able to get the action down to 2/32 and then some if I want. I did a bit of experimentation with setup and neck relief didn't really have much of an effect. The guitar came in with shredder action. Super, super low, which would work with only very light pick attack. I've adjusted it back up to normal spec. It's definitely moved to my #1 spot.

Back