Help with PRS metal Pickups

Brandon117

So I have my eyes on the \m/ pickup set as I am looking for the highest output pickup PRS makes. I want to put a set in white SE Navarro. The hardware is gold and so are the pole pieces on the se hfs and vintage bass pickups. From the research I have done, I have found that is pretty much impossible to find gold \m/ pickups covered or uncovered with squabbins. I am considering the uncovered nickel squabbin set I've seen on ebay. And from my experience, pickups with gold or nickel covers tarnish quite easily so I'd like to avoid the set you can buy on the prs store. Does anyone know if it is possible to custom order an uncovered set with gold pole pieces or will the price be ridiculous? Or should I just consider the uncovered nickel set?

Not sure if you can special order them in gold but you can contact PRS to find that out. I've not experienced gold or nickel covers tarnishing, per se, but the plating does wear off pretty easily. I guess one option would be to just take the covers off and install gold screws in the coils. That would leave the slug coils the silver/nickel color but would be closer to what you are looking for. I've also seem people leave the nickel covers on and put gold screws in which can look pretty rad on a guitar with gold hardware.

Not sure if you can special order them in gold but you can contact PRS to find that out. I've not experienced gold or nickel covers tarnishing, per se, but the plating does wear off pretty easily. I guess one option would be to just take the covers off and install gold screws in the coils. That would leave the slug coils the silver/nickel color but would be closer to what you are looking for. I've also seem people leave the nickel covers on and put gold screws in which can look pretty rad on a guitar with gold hardware.
That's sounds like it would look awesome!! Honestly, I didn't know you could remove those screws. Would swapping the screws effect tone?

When you buy M pickups don't be alarmed at how the wiring looks on the back of the pickups.

So I talked to a guy on the phone over at PRS and he told me that there is no way to get gold versions of \m/ pickups but they do sell uncovered. They're just not on the online store for $179.99. I decided to purchase an uncovered on ebay for $117 per pickup. Saved about $120. I think I might post a video of the se stock pickups then an after video with the metal pickups installed.

Back