Help my PRS finish is peeling off!

HarrySound

Last night I noticed this to my horror.

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

It's on the underside of the 13th-14th fret. It looks like the finish separated from the 13th fret and chipped then continued to separate down the neck.
This is guitar is a 2016 spec PRS Custom 24 I bought in February from brand new at WorldGuitars.co.uk serial number 15 222443 and has absolutely never recieved any punishment other than my awful choice of chord progressions and improvised solos.

What should I do!

Last edited:
Thanks . I live in Norwich which is an hour away from Cambridge.
I wonder though if it does indeed need repair will it have to be sent to the US?

I had this same issue with my 408.(2013...IIRC there was a batch that had this issue and they were all resolved. I believe there was a thread going here for a while about it) Contacted my dealer who set me up with the PTC for a trip to the factory for repair.

Yeah, contact your dealer, they should take care of it, but make sure they know you want to know whether it will be fixed locally or sent back to the factory. I suspect they have some repair facilities there.

Thanks guys I have emailed World Guitars and shall await their reply, hopefully tomorrow. For now i'm jamming under the 12th fret area :)
Also I just noticed on my iMac that the pictures are upside down lol

I've had it happen over the years a couple of times (been playing PRS since '91). Basically, the rosewood the fretboard is made of is an oily wood, and paint can have a hard time sticking to it sometimes.

PRS will cover it under warranty. They're really great about stuff like this.

I'm replying to this post because the photos Harry posted look exactly like my guitar. This has just happened to my 2008 Hollowbody Spruce! I bought it used, and only had it about 5 months. Because it's used, I'm assuming no warranty?

A while ago, I noticed it being a very small "bubble", then it got worse within a few weeks. It was not there when I bought the guitar. I don't notice it while playing, but I'm concerned it will keep getting worse. Is thing going to go down the whole fretboard?

Any advice on a DIY fix that perhaps a local luthier can do? Help!

PTC fixed my CU22 ( that was not under warranty ) it only cost me one way shipping ( your results may vary )
I have found the folks at PTC to be over the top helpful with any issues I have had !!!!!!

I’m late to the party again.

I’d be interested to know what Harry did to resolve this?

I grew up near Norwich and know some local people there who may be able to help, if the problem still exists.

I think it has to do with the weather in northern europe this time of the year.Very dry indoors,neck shrinks and fret protrude the finish.I have this on my DGT and my Flying V.Not as much as on your guitar though.

Last edited:
Back