Help me with my second Hand 2 Channel H

joshua.r.jude

So I got a great deal on a 2 Channel H, it still had the stock tubes in it, the clean power tube was shot but ooh well, I got it for $500. I ordered a matched pair of JJ 6L6GC's. Will I need to bias the amp? If so is it as simple as throwing a voltage meter on it? Low turn the adjuster right high turn it left?

Last edited:
You should at least check the bias. It is pretty easy to do. The adjustment pot biases both tubes at the same time so you have to set it at the middle of the two. Matched sets make a lot of sense here. IIRC the setting for the H is 38mV.

Congrats.:)

You should at least check the bias. It is pretty easy to do. The adjustment pot biases both tubes at the same time so you have to set it at the middle of the two. Matched sets make a lot of sense here. IIRC the setting for the H is 38mV.

Congrats.:)

Aahh too easy, with the single pot. Thanks for the information, the tubes should be to my door tomorrow I will let you know how it goes.

So not so fantastic right now... I need some help. I replaced the power tubes checked out all these preamp tubes all the misc tubes all of those look great now I'm getting a good gain channel but little to nothing in the clean side and it's intermittent at best. Some how some way the effects loop is having some effect on this because rotating the knob on the out side changes the amp to a clearer but not playing tone. Any past issues to be heard?

Last edited:
There's a horrible hum when the amp is idle as well. I'm pretty sure channel one the red channel is bleeding over to the blue channel the clean. If I turn all knobs down on the red side the blue side is great! And the other way around as well. Anyone got anything for that?

Last edited:
I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I had similar (but not exact) symptoms with an SE50. It's a similar circuit but on a PCB instead of hand wired. I sent it to the PTC and found it was an open resistor. The good news is since you got it as such a good price, you can send it to the PTC and not be out any extra cash. ;)

My H had a bleed issue ( gain bleeding into the clean channel ) I sent it to PRS they sorted it out only cost me one-way shipping ( it was not under warranty )
PTC has been great to me give them a shout !!!

My H had a bleed issue ( gain bleeding into the clean channel ) I sent it to PRS they sorted it out only cost me one-way shipping ( it was not under warranty )
PTC has been great to me give them a shout !!!
I live just a few miles away fromt he factory so I will give them a call today and see what they say.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I had similar (but not exact) symptoms with an SE50. It's a similar circuit but on a PCB instead of hand wired. I sent it to the PTC and found it was an open resistor. The good news is since you got it as such a good price, you can send it to the PTC and not be out any extra cash. ;)
Ok here is a twist that I forgot to add last night. So I let the amp heat up for probably 10 minutes and then turned it up a little bit. Probably to two or three and had no issues. Is this just something with this amp that it needs a little more on the master than what I was giving it? Is there nothing wrong with it at all?

Ok here is a twist that I forgot to add last night. So I let the amp heat up for probably 10 minutes and then turned it up a little bit. Probably to two or three and had no issues. Is this just something with this amp that it needs a little more on the master than what I was giving it? Is there nothing wrong with it at all?
Can't really say. Put some more time on it and play with all the knobs, and then decide.

Back