Anaxes

Subterranean Homesick Alien
I've been craving a core for a long time. The time is finally come.

First off I am far from a hard rock or metal player, And don't have private stock or artist package money unfortunately.

To start off I'm a huge fan of John Meyers tone especially on continuum and really love the sweet airy, yet sustained tone. Also dig some jazz fusion stuff kinda like Eric Johnson a bit. Big fan of Indie and alternative (Radiohead and tame impala) and to top it off I'm a pretty big Phish fan and love Treys tone.

I understand that there won't be one guitar to fit all this but I would love to get something that could nail the few.

Last edited:
You'll get into all of those territories with the Cu24. If you want to nail every one exactly you'll need 6 guitars.

You'll get into all of those territories with the Cu24. If you want to nail every one exactly you'll need 6 guitars.
hows the sustain on them? Any prs pickups that might fit my needs better than others?

There are a bunch of PRS guitars that could get you in that ballpark of the tones you are looking for , much of it will depend on your amp and effects set up.
Many PRSi offer very versatile switching and the sustain on all my PRSi is such that I gave up compressors completely.
I would look at the 513/509 , the 408 and the Custom 22 and 24 to start , if your budget is tight I have heard good reviews of the S2 line the new reclaimed wood guitars might also float your boat
as I have said before it really docent matter what you get first it most likely won't be your last and it will ruin your love for other guitars

Play as many different models as you can. Let your ears and hands decide. The biggest problem is that they`re all beautiful and unique. That`s why so many forum members own more than one. It`s the different sounds. Certain guitars just sound better with certain amps, and then there`s the occasional cosmic connection with a particular guitar. Play on!

There are a bunch of PRS guitars that could get you in that ballpark of the tones you are looking for , much of it will depend on your amp and effects set up.
Many PRSi offer very versatile switching and the sustain on all my PRSi is such that I gave up compressors completely.
I would look at the 513/509 , the 408 and the Custom 22 and 24 to start , if your budget is tight I have heard good reviews of the S2 line the new reclaimed wood guitars might also float your boat
as I have said before it really docent matter what you get first it most likely won't be your last and it will ruin your love for other guitars
Thanks for the insight! Hopefully gonna try getting to a store soon, I had a SE Zachary mayers that I liked but didn't like the the 24.5 scale neck, I've got enough budget for a core and ready for my first nice guitar, I had to recently sell most of my gear but I plan on doing playing through a Princeton or mesa lone star.

I have a Lone Star Classic. Great amp with a PRS. Just superb tone. IMO it won't do hard rock (think AC/DC) without a pedal, but it takes pedals well. Course it sounds like you already know all about it.

I have a Lone Star Classic. Great amp with a PRS. Just superb tone. IMO it won't do hard rock (think AC/DC) without a pedal, but it takes pedals well. Course it sounds like you already know all about it.
Do u have the 10 watt switch? playing clean and maybe just a hair of breakup, but I'm in a apartment for the time being.

Do u have the 10 watt switch? playing clean and maybe just a hair of breakup, but I'm in a apartment for the time being.

I have one with a 10 watt switch. It's still a pretty loud amp at 10 watts, but the master volume is good, and you could use a pedal to give it slight breakup without shaking the neighbors too badly.

Of course, they'll still hear it.

I prefer my PRS amps; they're also worth your looking into.

Custom 24 is a great place to start. There are some good priced used 513s out there right now. That would definitely give you the most options from a tonal point of view.

Based on your musical style preferences, I would say you want a guitar that does single-coil tones well.

Although the CU22/24 can have split humbucker pups that get you sort-of in that territory, I understand the 513/509 might be a better place to start. Plus it has that slightly longer scale at 25.25", more towards a Strat scale, and since you mentioned the 24.5" scale of the Zach Myers wasn't to your taste, I think a bit longer might be ideal for you.

You could also look up a used 305 - they are even closer to a Strat scale (25.5"), and have just three single coils, so that also gets you in Strat-land. They also have woods that are associated with Strats: alder body with maple necks, etc, vs the hog+maple cap and hog neck of a CU 22/24.

But, you may find that a CU24 gets you all the tones you want, and that would be just fine!

My gut reaction was a Paul's or a 408 or a 509.

A newer Custom (22 or 24) with the XX/15 pickups would be great.

Or a DGT or a McCarty.

Wait--I just listed nearly all of the Core line.
Looking at them now I feel like a kid in a candy store, I decided to get a strat in the near future (after the prs) for my Mayer and indie-isa tones. Any idea how the the custom 24 will sound with some light jazz/fusion and maybe a little funk (think vulfpeck)

Looking at them now I feel like a kid in a candy store, I decided to get a strat in the near future (after the prs) for my Mayer and indie-isa tones. Any idea how the the custom 24 will sound with some light jazz/fusion and maybe a little funk (think vulfpeck)

Super fantastic, especially with 85/15 pups. But a Strat would smash it for Vulf!

I can't think of a better suggestion than the DGT/Custom 22/24 or McCarty for the money along with of course the 408.

I would definitely look at a 408 or Paul's guitar and a DGT. Happy hunting!

Back