Have you found "THE One"??? I think I have....

My Tremonti is the metal monster one, but my S2 Vela seems to be getting one hell of a lot of of playtime in recent months. It just melts into my playing style and is eager to give and melt into my hands.

My Studio is also in my 3 most played at the moment.

Yep, ditto that but 30 years for me. She bought me 3 of my 4 PRS guitars. Win-Win

It'll be 30 for us in October. She hasn't bought me a guitar, but she has let me buy all the ones I have (without too much grief). I'm not skilled enough to have found The One. I do have one that I enjoy playing the most, but it's not the same thing as the OP is talking about.

In some very specific ways, my RL Vela is 'the one.' (That neck pickup is just ridiculous)

Speaking in generalities, my new Chris Robertson SE seems to be the go-to for all my long-haul basement rockstar endeavors.

I fear, though, that both may take a back seat to an acquisition I have cooking with a fellow forum member.

It pains me to be so addicted...but I'm loving the ride.

What I am finding with the McCarty Burst S2 is that MUSIC just pours forth from it effortlessly. It's like it is imbued with music. The only other guitar I have owned that has been just gushed songs and music is my Ibanez 540S. It's like it came to me with songs trapped inside.

wow. That was pretty handy wasn't it ?!

In 48 years of dedicated playing, I have never found any instrument remotely like that.
I gigged one particular guitar exclusively for 17 years, because I never found anything else as good. That is still true today, but I've not used it now for 4 years.

It was 4 years ago I started to buy more guitars and I use those now.

One guitar has the most beautiful voice.
Another has the best build quality.
Another is the most enjoyable to play.
etc etc...

My #1 is my McCarty Artist with the solid Brazilian RW neck. The 58/15LT pickups just put it over the top. The only guitar that ‘could’ challenge it is my modified DC3.

I recently found out my DC3 must have had a personality change since it got new strat pickups. It’s now a jealous lil mofo, talking bout ‘do you love me? Yeah? how much? Ok. If that’s true then why is that 408 still hanging around all outside of its case and shyt? I’m loud now. I gots decent output now. I even got myself a cool new pickguard. For YOU. Why is he still over there, outside his case, waiting to be touched?’

I was caught off guard by the entire conversation (I had thought we were ALL cool) and made a drastic decision. Now my 408 is GONE.

:confused:

As long as the DC3 doesn’t start throwing shady looks at my McCarty... cause then there’s gonna be a sitcheeaachin.
You should re-name it “The real Slim Shady”;)

wow. That was pretty handy wasn't it ?!

In 48 years of dedicated playing, I have never found any instrument remotely like that.
I gigged one particular guitar exclusively for 17 years, because I never found anything else as good. That is still true today, but I've not used it now for 4 years.

Indeed it was. Anybody who is a writer will know/relate to how easy it is to get into a potential rut/formula where you are comfortable with a style/process/structure that you use all the time. This particular S2 just takes me to places I haven't travelled - it's exciting and refreshing.

As mentioned briefly in another post, I had a guitar like this WAY early on in my playing - the Ibanez. Funny enough with that one, I NEVER gigged it heavily. I think in 30 years of shows, I used less than 10 times. Period. That guitar is 31 years old and looks like it was just purchased this morning. It lives in the case. However, the S2 is being used - every day in every way....writing, demoing, gigging - it came punched up just enough that I am not too concerned. This guitar is being LOVED.

It was 4 years ago I started to buy more guitars and I use those now.

One guitar has the most beautiful voice.
Another has the best build quality.
Another is the most enjoyable to play.
etc etc...

Let's see them!!

I can't say I have had the existential experiences that the OP has had with any one particular instrument. But I totally believe it can happen.

I have found that with a new (to me) instrument there is often a song waiting to be found or a texture I've never explored. When I got my RL Vela I really enjoyed the tones I got out if it, and although it wasn't right away, there was one riff (combined with some weird pedal-board settings) that resulted in a really great song the band has written (fully collaboratively, which is unusual, we typically come to the band with a mostly-complete song, or for my wife, who does't write music, at least a mostly-complete set of lyrics).

Oh, and btw @markd21 , if you are ever looking to unload some of your arsenal, look me up. That P22, SC250, and Paul's would be something I might be very interested in...

They are not all PRS, and I'm not sure how that would be viewed here.
We don’t mind.
In general threads specific to non PRS might be in poor taste, but in the context of a thread like this it’s fair to show what is best for you by some criteria. Nobody seemed to mind my video with the Laskins (and a couple PRS).

Tough call. I have a CE-24 and a Custom 24 that I've been using very, very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to have a "The One" like Blackie, Number One, Nancy, etc., but reality is that I get inspired by different guitars at different times. One day it's the CU22, the next it's the 594. Lately, I'm gravitating more towards the Strat (my first guitar love).

I’m not even sure if the gun still has live ammo.

Yeah, I I'm pretty sure mine came stock with one of those orange plastic tips...I must have broken it off as a kid or something...I dunno? o_O
I even have to fake the pew, pew, pew sounds...yup, pretty sure mine's defective.:eek:

Last edited:
My “one” is my 2013 SE Custom 24. So much so that as of today it is the only guitar I own. I sold off my others, and shipped the last one out today.

Nothing compares to it. Even other guitars that were better on paper, didn’t equal it when it came to playability. There may be something else down the road, but for now it is the only one.

Back