Has anyone here ever just given a guitar away?

Danerada

Goatee Practitioner
So When I first started playing I bought a cheap Epiphone acoustic. After a couple of years I bought a Guild D4 and didn't pick the Epi up again. A few months after that my mother has a friend that she was in group therapy with who played guitar, but hadn't played in a while and thought it may be therapeutic to pick it up again, but had no means to buy one. My mom asked me if she could have the Epi and I gave it to my mom so she could give it to the lady.

I have a niece that wanted to learn to play and she was working very hard to learn, so I gave her a cheapo hollow body I had sitting around (after a good setup and cleaning) and she loves it.

My son was learning to play so I gave him one of my Larrivees...he has since given it back because he stopped playing, but he still picks it up now and then.

I have given a few more away, but no need to go into all of them. My point/question is have you ever given a guitar to someone? I love to see people falling in love with the guitar and then being able to hook them up. I am not always in a position to do so, but when I am it is one of my favorite things to do. I don't do it so I feel good about myself, because truth be told, I would rather keep my guitars. I do it because it brings joy and sometimes healing to someone...

Anyone else????

I took a High school kid that was in my very extended family (long story omitted...) with no strong "Dad" figure with me to Guitar Center just to look.... I knew this kid was smart, but could go either way.... I was off looking at stuff and he was playing this Red Squire Strat. It was Christmas time and they had them on some super sale. I asked him if he liked it and he just glowed. I bought it for him on the spot. I also gave him a multi effects pedal with a head phone out so he could play. From the reports I got though the grape vine...he played that guitar a lot.

He's an Avionics Tech for the C-5A in the Air Force now, just made SGT. and is stationed in Spain.

I like to think it was money well spent. :D

The gift of music is timeless and peerless, and just goes to show how much you freakin' ROCK! :cool:

Yeah, a Ovation guitar, a couple of amps at different times (Fender Ultra Chorus, Peavey Classic 30), some effects. Usually surplus stuff I wasn't using, or wouldn't use after a new purchase. Usually given to people who had real use for the gear (a couple of them played regularly in their churches with sub par gear) but didn't have the financial means to upgrade.

Yeah, a Ovation guitar, a couple of amps at different times (Fender Ultra Chorus, Peavey Classic 30), some effects. Usually surplus stuff I wasn't using, or wouldn't use after a new purchase. Usually given to people who had real use for the gear (a couple of them played regularly in their churches with sub par gear) but didn't have the financial means to upgrade.

Nice man...

I took a High school kid that was in my very extended family (long story omitted...) with no strong "Dad" figure with me to Guitar Center just to look.... I knew this kid was smart, but could go either way.... I was off looking at stuff and he was playing this Red Squire Strat. It was Christmas time and they had them on some super sale. I asked him if he liked it and he just glowed. I bought it for him on the spot. I also gave him a multi effects pedal with a head phone out so he could play. From the reports I got though the grape vine...he played that guitar a lot.

He's an Avionics Tech for the C-5A in the Air Force now, just made SGT. and is stationed in Spain.

I like to think it was money well spent. :D

Good stuff...

Yup, i've given guitars and amps away in the past to friends and family.

They where just cheap ones mind you!!!

My girlfriend is a teacher in a primary school so i've already decided that a couple of my other cheap guitars (An acoustic and electric) will be donated to her school once i've got my use or need to make more room.

Yup, i've given guitars and amps away in the past to friends and family.

They where just cheap ones mind you!!!

My girlfriend is a teacher in a primary school so i've already decided that a couple of my other cheap guitars (An acoustic and electric) will be donated to her school once i've got my use or need to make more room.

Outstanding...I've donated amps to a Church Youth band and I love the idea of giving to a school...

My nephew Kelsey has watched me play guitar since he was very young. He was always mesmerized by it but for one reason or another neither of his parents would ever get him a guitar. So I had acquired a ton of gear from a friend in a trade and I went through it and put together the easiest playing guitar, after a quick setup, which was a Yamaha HSS so he could get a wide range of tones and a Peavey Supreme amp that was surprisingly versatile and not bad at all for solid state...
Well, I wish there was a "happy" ending but it never "took". He quit playing after a couple years. But, he will not get rid of that guitar or amp for anything! His mom says when it comes up he just says No, my uncle Jon got me that! Warms my heart and maybe, just maybe one day he will pick it back up if it stays in that room!

There are a number of disadvantaged kids in my church. About 7 of them asked me to teach them all to play guitar after seeing me play at a church talent show. After a few weeks of loaning them my SE's to learn, I found 5 Squier strats (2 did have guitars already) and cheap SS practice amps on CL for the ones that still needed guitars. One has gone on to play really well. One switched to drums and another the bass. The others drifted off like kids do, but a new round of kids want to learn at times and they get the guitars from the kids already through the system and I teach the new ones on the same old guitars. It works....

My nephew on the wifes side is 11 and has been playinng the ukelele, and is dad has a Martin that he does not get to touch. When I went to Maine for Thanksgiving I took up a Squier strat and a Squier sidekick 15 amp with all the goodies like strap, cables, etc for my nephew. He lit up like one of us had been given a Private Stock!

I gave away a thinline Yamaha acoustic to a friends kid....it was my take to Mexico Beach guitar. I was given a VW giveaway guitar and I passed it on to another friends kid that wanted to learn. I knew some dude in Maryland wanted a "Birth Year" guitar and it's something I've wanted also for years, but 1964 seems to be the year stuff jumps in price! He was born in 1965 and another friend of mine was giving up his 65 Gibby MM......Another friend and I decided he needed it for his B'day!! Karma's a GOOD thing!!!

I've given a few things away over the years for various reasons. A couple of 4 x 12's (Orange and Marshall), Carlsbro Valve head, Classic 30, Epi '65 ri SG with Maestro, Yamaha YSG, some pedals and pick ups....Sometimes people are just down on their luck, sometimes they just really liked something I wasn't using much, sometimes I had multiples of the same thing. Even though my gear is nothing compared to some of the collections on here I feel extremely privileged to have what I do have, and if I can make someone's day it's all good. My own gear selection is nothing like what it was 3 years ago, had to sell loads off when the economy bombed but I kept my favourites.

Yes, and just recently a Squire Bronco bass to an older friend who has just retired. He has money, but just needed a little push to get started.

When my son was 4 I had a mini-Strat made for him. It's still in the family. I also gave him a PRS CU22 Soapbar when he turned 14, later a nice acoustic guitar. Over the years, most of his birthday or holiday presents have been music-related.

If I remember correctly, I believe I've given away five guitars, all in Jamaica. The first guitar I gave away was during my second trip down in '84.
I met Maurice the year before and decided a guitar would be a great accompaniment to the singing and drums. "Reds" still has it today.
Anytime I got a acoustic that I knew I would not use, I would pass it along. I would also bring down strings, tuners, end pins etc.
The look in their eyes when you hand a set of strings lasts a lifetime.

I've given three guitars to my son over 16 years including a Strat, PRS SE, and a Bass. In addition I have given two acoustics and one electric to two neices and one nephew, when they were all about eighteen. They all still play and it was wonderful to give the gift of music. I've been playing 50 years and wanted to pass it on ...

I keep the stuff I grow out of just so I can find it a new home.
I hate seeing someone try to learn guitar on a total piece of junk because I know how frustrating it can be - and how easy that makes it to quit prematurely. I usually have between 3 & 5 guitars in that state. I present it like this "Keep it as long as you want. If you get tired of guitar, bring it back and I'll find it a new home."
Last summer I had to sell one of them for $15 because the guy was too proud to take a gift.
I only have 2 such right now - one for someone 7-12 or so and one full sized.

Back