Has anyone blocked a tremelo on a PRS guitar?

ExpatGirl

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about blocking the tremelo on my SE Custom 24. I'd get the tech to use a piece of mahogany rather than a soft wood like alder. Has anyone doe this with a PRS guitar? If so, can you please let me know what your experience was? Thanks!

I did it on my Singlecut Trem, since It does wonders to Stratocasters. I did not hear any difference in the PRS case thoue. Don´t know why.

I've done it a few times with either a piece of maple or mahogany both behind/in front of the trem block to make it super solid. Worked great & is easily removable. I did notice a slight increase in sustain in a couple instances. Good luck!

Lots of folks have used the Tremel-No or whatever that doohicky is. Sooner or later I'll be installing one. Someone will chime in who owns one I'm sure. Nothing but good feedback on it from what I remember.

Never blocked a PRS, but I have an older Ibanez that a tech blocked for me...not sure what type of wood he used, but judging by his MacGuyver-ness, I doubt it was one selected for tone ;) Not a huge change in tone, but does wonders for stability, if that's your issue, and if you really don't use the trem (like me).

Would love to find out more about the tremol-no, saw a CE on craigslist a few months ago with one installed, but no details.

Lots of folks have used the Tremel-No or whatever that doohicky is. Sooner or later I'll be installing one. Someone will chime in who owns one I'm sure. Nothing but good feedback on it from what I remember.

Love it. Best option out there in my opinion, by far!

tremolno.jpg

I don't currently have mine blocked, so I'll try to take a pic of the 2 pieces of wood I use when I do block, just so you get the idea. It's really quite simple, though I will admit I am spoiled as my dad is a woodworker so he's able to easily size/cut/fit the pieces for my trem cavities! ;)

I don't currently have mine blocked, so I'll try to take a pic of the 2 pieces of wood I use when I do block, just so you get the idea. It's really quite simple, though I will admit I am spoiled as my dad is a woodworker so he's able to easily size/cut/fit the pieces for my trem cavities! ;)

Man, you are lucky! Please do send me a photo when you have it done. Cheers, mate.

photojdq.jpg

Here they are. The smaller block on the left is almost 2" long, placed under the springs & in front of the trem block (towards the neck). This was just scrap wood laying around, not sure of the type. I put this piece in first. The larger block on the right is the main piece (about 2.5" long), that goes behind the trem block. This is mahogany, with a tiny shim of plywood glued on to make a perfect fit. Note the small, drilled hole in this piece, which is helpful to remove the block with a screwdriver etc if desired (easier to remove). I use the trem bar to wiggle a bit/make a perfectly tight fit. Hope this helps!

I was told by a good guitar tech one time that because of the design of the PRS trem/block/body and [insert whatever he said I can't remember] that blocking it with wood like you'd do say to to Floyd doesn't have the same result due to the angle the trem sits at maybe? Or how the body is countered where the trem is on top? I forget, but this is when I started looking into the Tremel-No, etc.

I blocked my SE Santana when I first bought her but I had to undo it. I swear it lost something tonally when blocked and that was the opposite of what I hoped... I ended up buying a US PRS trem with some Mann saddles and things are much better now...

Sorry to tangent bit... does anyone know of someone who will cutout a PRS backplate for a tremlo-no (and already has a template to do so)?

Sorry to tangent bit... does anyone know of someone who will cutout a PRS backplate for a tremlo-no (and already has a template to do so)?

Not offhand, but any local "machine shop" that does precision/CNC machining should be able to do it. Or, the Dremel is your friend ;)

Love it. Best option out there in my opinion, by far!

tremolno.jpg

Which model guitar did you put it on and could you still put the backplate on once it's installed? I read about guys on TGP putting them on strats and it sticking out the back and screws falling out now and then.
And was it fairly simple to install or do you have to be an engineer? (or DOJ employee) ;)

Hi Blackbird.I installed mine 1 hour ago.Easy to install and no problem with the backplate.

Intrigued by this Tremel-No. I've wanted to block my C24 trem for a while now.

I have one on my Custom 24, it was easy to install. I use it in conjunction with a Hipshot tuner extender for drop tunings. It works beautifully stabilizing pitch, so when I drop tune the other strings are unaffected.

Tremol-No004.jpg

Back