Hand Wiring -vs- Circuit Boards, Redux

László

Too Many Notes
I've posted in the past about why I prefer hand wired amps to circuit board amps. I find that hand wired amps are a little more 3D, and a little sweeter. While not everyone hears it, many players do. Despite the argument often made that hand wired amp fans are making this stuff up to fulfill some kind of nostalgia or snobbery, read and watch a little further into this post, and one might reach a different conclusion.

Caveat: 'Prefer'
doesn't mean I dislike circuit board amps - in fact, I'm a fan of many of them, and there are circuit board amps I'd buy and have bought without a second thought.

However, my experience with hand wired amps over nearly a half century has led to a preference for hand wiring, and my PRS CAD amps are proof of the pudding. So were my Two-Rocks, vintage Fender, etc.

The other day I heard a very nice Blackface sounding amp, made by Tone King, a Mark II version of their Imperial. And I thought, "Hmmm...that's pretty darn nice." I remembered hearing the amp in its original version and not being all that impressed by it. So I made a mental note to check them out.

Last night I went to the Tone King website to scour up info. I found that they changed the circuitry on their Mark II by hand wiring the boards. There were links to some demos, and those demos linked me to this YouTube video, where designer Mark Bartel, for 20 years a builder of circuit board amps, tells the interviewer:

"With the hand wired construction, you just get a little more depth and a little more dimension to it...with the hand wiring it hangs with you a little more, if you lay back, it lays back with you, and if you push ahead, it pushes ahead with you, and it's just got a little more organic quality." Fast forward to about 1:49 for the quote.

That video was linked to more videos which led to this interview of Randall Smith of Mesa, talking about how the placement of components and wires makes a difference in the sound of the amp. While he prefers circuit board amps for consistency, something that is very important to him, he says this:

"I don't want to trash point to point, if you're only going to build one or two or something, it's the way to do it." Fast forward to about 10:10.

I'm pretty sure his dig about building one or two amps was exaggeration, but the point is that the man known for designing and advocating circuit board amps essentially agrees that hand wiring an amp is a way to reach a different result.

Now, to equate "different" with "better" is not something I'm advocating. Quite the opposite. Personal preferences in instruments are valid no matter what and better for me is not necessarily better for you. That's why I use the word, 'different.'

My preference is not a religion. And circuit board amps do have the advantage of a lower price and great consistency. Some designs, like a Mark V, don't even lend themselves to hand wiring, they'd be too complex and prohibitively expensive. So I'm not saying that everyone who has a circuit board amp should ditch it and run out and buy hand wired. Enjoy what you have!

What I AM saying is that it's a good idea to try the hand wired amp, or the hand wired version of an amp, and see if you like it what it does for your playing and tone.

One last thought to leave you with:

In the 60s and early 70s (that's as far back as I go with amps and such), we'd line a bunch of amps up, try them out, and pick the one we thought sounded best, because they were all a tiny bit different. It was like picking the right guitar out. You'd run the racks, find one or two that stood out, and A/B them over and over, maybe come back a day or two later, and you'd finally settle on one that you thought was the best of the bunch. It would be uniquely yours, and it would be just a little different from everyone else's.

Since we all interpret sound slightly differently, and since many of us want to achieve a unique tone, I'm not sure that a little but of inconsistency is necessarily a bad thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic Les,I had a vibrio king hand wired with an el84 reverb drive.My brother inlaw liked the amp so much he bought a newer version of the same amp only his reverb drive was 6v6.He calls me and tells me his amp doesn't sound the same as mine.I go check it out and sure enough his amp is flat in all configurations,It's funny how a change in tube drivers affected the sound! My amp was fantastic his amp was lack lustre and dull.

Interesting topic Les,I had a vibrio king hand wired with an el84 reverb drive.My brother inlaw liked the amp so much he bought a newer version of the same amp only his reverb drive was 6v6.He calls me and tells me his amp doesn't sound the same as mine.I go check it out and sure enough his amp is flat in all configurations,It's funny how a change in tube drivers affected the sound! My amp was fantastic his amp was lack lustre and dull.

The smallest things definitely make a difference!

I read in a magazine article that U2's guitar tech actually will book a seat on an airplane for The Edge's #1 Vox amp, because it's so unique and special, etc. It's interesting how attached to a particular instrument a player can be.

I read a good article in premier guitar about this very topic. They took 2 identical amps, one hard wired and one circuit board and there actually is a measurable difference. There is a reason people say they respond differently. I think a lot of it had to do with capacitance from the traces so rest assured Les I'm on your side with this.

I read a good article in premier guitar about this very topic. They took 2 identical amps, one hard wired and one circuit board and there actually is a measurable difference. There is a reason people say they respond differently. I think a lot of it had to do with capacitance from the traces so rest assured Les I'm on your side with this.

Glad you mentioned this!

For what it's worth, I'm 100% in the hand wired camp now. Not by design, but because the 5 heads I currently own sound and respond better than anything I used to own. The usual caveats apply, for what I want to do, through my rig, my ears etc etc etc

Hard to describe the differences, but more "organic" means something to me at least

For what it's worth, I'm 100% in the hand wired camp now. Not by design, but because the 5 heads I currently own sound and respond better than anything I used to own. The usual caveats apply, for what I want to do, through my rig, my ears etc etc etc

Hard to describe the differences, but more "organic" means something to me at least

Good point, it is, hard to describe...But I agree that "organic" is a good descriptor, and there's something to the "3D" thing as well.

Don't think I have ever had a hand wired amp.

I just picked up a Fender Hot Rod Deville ML 212, but given the price point I doubt it is hand wired.

Don't think I have ever had a hand wired amp.

I just picked up a Fender Hot Rod Deville ML 212, but given the price point I doubt it is hand wired.

It isn't. But they're fun amps anyway!

I'm enjoying it. Never had an amp like this. I'm going to builds little board to run in front of it. Grissom style!
There's the spirit! Now, the tough part: what will be pedal #1? An OD with buffer and boost, like the Psionic, or go discrete? Just put your Big sky toward the end, on the Voices patch and strike a clean chord. Oh momma!!! :rock:

There's the spirit! Now, the tough part: what will be pedal #1? An OD with buffer and boost, like the Psionic, or go discrete? Just put your Big sky toward the end, on the Voices patch and strike a clean chord. Oh momma!!! :rock:

You're right. So many options. I have some ideas working. Looking to do it piece meal, but I'll keep you posted as I go.

Back