Had a replacement neck made for my CE24!!!

In terms of refretting etc, I know it depends on use and stuff, how long do you all think I'll get out of my CE24 neck, before I need refretting etc,
I just bought it new,a 2017 model,
And what's the procedure for sending it in for repair?

In terms of refretting etc, I know it depends on use and stuff, how long do you all think I'll get out of my CE24 neck, before I need refretting etc,
I just bought it new,a 2017 model,
And what's the procedure for sending it in for repair?

For the fret wear, it completely depends on how much you play. PRS doesn't use stainless steel fret wire because Paul feels they have a less desirable qualities. They are a consumable and will likely need replacing eventually.

I think PRS must operate under the idea that you wouldn't really need to change the neck on a bolt-on guitar any more frequently than a guitar with a set-neck. They might just be doing it to sell more guitars, as you say. But I think the amount of new guitars sold that way would be pretty small.

I'd think, if you needed a new neck, you could send it to the PTC for repair. That's completely speculation though. They would of course charge you unless it was still under warranty. If you're willing to pay, the PTC can do nearly anything for you.

What's the ptc, and the procedure for doing so?
Also if I hardly play gigs etc,u think I could get 10 years or so before need to repair the neck?

Also if I hardly play gigs etc,u think I could get 10 years or so before need to repair the neck?

Depends on how heavy handed you are. Ten years is definitely doable, unless you're a vice :)

As for the PTC, it is the one and only PRS Tech Center. There is a "Start Your Order" button on the page. You type up what you're looking to have done, and you'll get an email response with a quote (of course, there are certain things they won't do, so you could get a "no").

http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/

These folks do some seriously cool stuff. I've sent a couple in for makeovers, and could not be happier. Here's the most recent.

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/another-amazing-job-by-the-ptc-crew.26580/

I also sent a blue Cu22 in that came back Purple Hazel, with a black satin neck finish, new pick ups, a 3 way, and mini toggles for splits. Photobucket has since ruined that thread :mad:

The implied message is that this forum is for those who are very passionate about PRS guitars.

Be respectful of those who feel as they do about these very well made instruments.

It’s fair to say that good luthiery is appreciated. However it’s headed PRS forum.

My CE 24 is a 2003 that has had the snot played out of it. The frets were dressed about a year ago by a former PRS employee who is a first rate, well trained luthier. I bend strings a lot and gig once a week minimum. These puppies are built to last. Play yours and enjoy the hell out of it.

I have a 2017 CE also. Don't anticipate ever having to repair the neck, unless something catastrophic happens.

Fret dresses and refrets are expected wear and tear on any guitar (maybe not stainless steel fretted tho).

Think of it like a car: strings are petrol, setups are new brakes, and a refret is a new clutch.

Do people just replace old Tele necks? I thought original was desirable...

I have a 2017 CE also. Don't anticipate ever having to repair the neck, unless something catastrophic happens.

Fret dresses and refrets are expected wear and tear on any guitar (maybe not stainless steel fretted tho).

Think of it like a car: strings are petrol, setups are new brakes, and a refret is a new clutch.

Do people just replace old Tele necks? I thought original was desirable...

I thought high level pros change their necks sometimes. SRV, John Mayer but those guys reeeeaaally play and I could be wrong. No level of play wear I could ever hope to attain

Paul is quite proud of how hard their fret wire is. Not all fret wire is created equal and Paul claims to use the hardest nickel-silver material he can get.

From the man himself...

To sum up, it shouldn't need a re-fret unless you "play it to death" for 10+ years.

Last edited:
An ethos which Paul lives by is to create an instrument, who’s parts last a lifetime of playing.

Thanks guy I just really want it to last a long time as I can't see myself using any other guitar brand again after I played prs,
And plus the price tag in terms of buying another if anything goes wrong

I really love the s2 custom 22 semi hollow too ,actually bought it first then went for the se to get the American pickups etc,so that's always an option in the future as a replacement

Back