Had a replacement neck made for my CE24!!!

JerEvil

Apparently this thread upset some folks so removing the content. Thought you all might appreciate the revised look to the guitar. Seems I was wrong.

Last edited:
That is just awesome! He definitely 'nailed' it! Not sure how PRSh would feel about it but I say take it to the next Experience and get him to sign the headstock.

That is just awesome! He definitely 'nailed' it! Not sure how PRSh would feel about it but I say take it to the next Experience and get him to sign the headstock.

With his trademark being used without permission, the OP having the nerve to post it on this page and then asking for a signature would be in bad taste. Plus, it opens up a potential lawsuit against the maker of the neck.

...just a guess, but getting PRSh to sign the headstock of a neck he didn't make probably isn't going to fly.

Well... there certainly is a legal issue with the maker selling a neck that copies PRS trademarks. There is zero chance that Paul will sign it. I wouldn't be surprised if the neck's maker got a letter in the mail asking him to refrain from making more copies. That said... I applaud the OP for being open about the fact that it's a copy instead of passing it off as a fake. I think this speaks to his "intent".

There are details that make this neck relatively easy for us (the PRS nerds) to see that it's a fake: the scarf-joint (limited to S2 models), the skunk-stripe (only seen on one-off and occasionally on PS instruments), and tuner placement (which is just incorrect) being 3 examples. If the guitar is ever sold, these are the things that will keep the future owner from trying to pass it off as a genuine PRS neck. Ironically, I'd guess this guitar is worth more money with the admittedly fake neck on it.

Play the sh!t out of that guitar, JerEvil It sure looks great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image7copy_zps0ff6a653.jpg
    image7copy_zps0ff6a653.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 1,889
  • image14_zps7c1dfdb3.jpg
    image14_zps7c1dfdb3.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 1,442
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;189040 said:
Well... there certainly is a legal issue with the maker selling a neck that copies PRS trademarks. There is zero chance that Paul will sign it. I wouldn't be surprised if the neck's maker got a letter in the mail asking him to refrain from making more copies. That said... I applaud the OP for being open about the fact that it's a copy instead of passing it off as a fake. I think this speaks to his "intent".

There are details that make this neck relatively easy for us (the PRS nerds) to see that it's a fake: the scarf-joint (limited to S2 models), the skunk-stripe (only seen on one-off and occasionally on PS instruments), and tuner placement (which is just incorrect) being 3 examples. If the guitar is ever sold, these are the things that will keep the future owner from trying to pass it off as a genuine PRS neck. Ironically, I'd guess this guitar is worth more money with the admittedly fake neck on it.

Play the sh!t out of that guitar, JerEvil It sure looks great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks man. I love how it came out. Thought folks here would appreciate the craftsmanship but apparently now it;s a witch hunt ...

I've seen witch hunts here and elsewhere, I don't think we're anywhere close to that...

It's a nice neck. But the copyright issues can't (shouldn't) be ignored. We're in Paul's house.

I've seen witch hunts here and elsewhere, I don't think we're anywhere close to that...

It's a nice neck. But the copyright issues can't (shouldn't) be ignored. We're in Paul's house.
Fair enough. I guess I am a bit surprised as on the Les Paul forums, when a Gil Yaron pops up everyone applauds, when a luthier makes an amazing replacement neck on a vintage Lester, folks go batty wanting to know how to get one for their project. As PRS does NOT sell replacement necks, this was my option. There are quite a lot of builders making replacement necks. As mentioned, mine is clearly in no way a direct copy as there is in fact the scarf joint, no inlay on the 24th fret, birds don't match, etc. The only thing remotely suspect is the headstock which is still not 100%

I certainly also do not see anyone with a maple binding on their necks. Not sure if this is even a PRS option. I own a "metal finish" SC245 and love it. Wish the neck on it was as nice as this one.

Again, my post was not a solicitation, more so a "looky what I got"

I missed the original post, but from what's left it sounds like you had to have someone fashion a new neck to make the guitar viable. No issues with that point, and if I were doing it, I would probably mimic the PRS headstock shape, as well. The reason for the different views between this forum and other gear forums is that this is a PRS-owned forum, not an independent forum, hence the comment about being in Paul's House. From what still remains in this thread, it doesn't read as too much of an attack, just some sensitivity to the respect of the company.

The remaining pics look nice. Rock that thing.

I missed the original post, but from what's left it sounds like you had to have someone fashion a new neck to make the guitar viable. No issues with that point, and if I were doing it, I would probably mimic the PRS headstock shape, as well. The reason for the different views between this forum and other gear forums is that this is a PRS-owned forum, not an independent forum, hence the comment about being in Paul's House. From what still remains in this thread, it doesn't read as too much of an attack, just some sensitivity to the respect of the company.

The remaining pics look nice. Rock that thing.
Doh!

Fair enough. Didn't mean to get "time of the monthy" - I certainly am facepalming myself as I don't post here often

IMHO, and I'm no legal expert on what constitutes trademark infringement, I think the neck looks awesome and is fine as long no kind of PRS logo or signature is put onto the headstock. The tuner alignment sure is a bit strange, it looks like he drilled the holes a little closer to the center. As it's been mentioned, as is it sits, logoless, it would be almost impossible to pass off as genuine. Don't beat yourself up to much man, it looks sweet.

I'm, diggin' a CE with a rosewood neck, even liking the skunk stripe to my own surprise.

The headstock shape and birds are cool, I just think people need to be careful when they venture into copyrighted or trademark areas and how they represent.

I never thought the OP was trying to pass the guitar as a genuine PRS neck either. Mine are just words of caution.

Rock that thing!

I have to admit I have strongly considered buying a CE body and having someone make a baritone conversion neck to fit it, since PRS refuses to make a USA baritone. In the end I decided against it, but only because it's far cheaper, and just as much of a crapshoot, to use off the shelf parts made to fit F****er style guitars.

IMHO, it's your guitar, own it.

Fair enough. I guess I am a bit surprised as on the Les Paul forums, when a Gil Yaron pops up everyone applauds, when a luthier makes an amazing replacement neck on a vintage Lester, folks go batty wanting to know how to get one for their project.

Last I checked, the Les Paul Forum was not run by Gibson... Kind of a big difference...

IMHO, and I'm no legal expert on what constitutes trademark infringement, I think the neck looks awesome and is fine as long no kind of PRS logo or signature is put onto the headstock. The tuner alignment sure is a bit strange, it looks like he drilled the holes a little closer to the center. As it's been mentioned, as is it sits, logoless, it would be almost impossible to pass off as genuine. Don't beat yourself up to much man, it looks sweet.
Cheers man! THanks. I agree that for anyone looking into PRS guitars, you'd be hard pressed to think it was "legit". The neck feels great and I am pleased as punch with it.

I'm, diggin' a CE with a rosewood neck, even liking the skunk stripe to my own surprise.

The headstock shape and birds are cool, I just think people need to be careful when they venture into copyrighted or trademark areas and how they represent.

I never thought the OP was trying to pass the guitar as a genuine PRS neck either. Mine are just words of caution.

Rock that thing!
Oh, I certainly was not trying to pass it off as a PRS neck. Words of caution duly noted.

I have to admit I have strongly considered buying a CE body and having someone make a baritone conversion neck to fit it, since PRS refuses to make a USA baritone. In the end I decided against it, but only because it's far cheaper, and just as much of a crapshoot, to use off the shelf parts made to fit F****er style guitars.

IMHO, it's your guitar, own it.
Yeah, I actually traded this for an amp that was basically a boat anchor. The builder ruined his reputation online. Just so happened a friend was actually seeking one of the amps out, knowing full well he would;t be able to offload it.

Last I checked, the Les Paul Forum was not run by Gibson... Kind of a big difference...
Yeah thanks. Pretty sure I addressed that in post #11 though.

Why don't prs sell replacement necks for the bolt on ce-24?
Don't they expect it will need replacing eventually?
Or do they just intend on extorting you to buy a whole new guitar?

Why don't prs sell replacement necks for the bolt on ce-24?
Don't they expect it will need replacing eventually?
Or do they just intend on extorting you to buy a whole new guitar?

Extortion is a pretty harsh word.. PRS makes guitars, not parts (mostly), it’s their decision to make.

Why would a full neck ever need replacing? You get it fixed, that’s what you do.

Back