Guitar Store service

Charlie

What service would you like to see a guitar store offer that they don't today (keep it clean)? What should they do better? Would you go into a guitar store that only offers used high end (PRS) guitars?

I just want a guitar store that offers high end guitars, all brands. We don't have that here. All we have is GC and SA.

What service would you like to see a guitar store offer that they don't today (keep it clean)? What should they do better? Would you go into a guitar store that only offers used high end (PRS) guitars?
I like how Chicago Music Exchange has rooms with amps that you can play in.
  • It's good for people like me with crap chops so we're not shy to try gear.
  • It make shopping nicer than GC with all the din of other people's hawt lixx.
As far as a new service, maybe some kind of 'rent-the-runway' for amps/pedals like how you can rent high-end dresses for a member fee. Almost like GameFly for pedals.

I like how Chicago Music Exchange has rooms with amps that you can play in.
  • It's good for people like me with crap chops so we're not shy to try gear.
  • It make shopping nicer than GC with all the din of other people's hawt lixx.
As far as a new service, maybe some kind of 'rent-the-runway' for amps/pedals like how you can rent high-end dresses for a member fee. Almost like GameFly for pedals.

I like that... amp room, or even encourage people to bring their amp in a demo room, small fee for room use that goes toward the gear if you buy it? I would do that without a doubt.

Righteous Guitars has a couple of sound proof amp rooms. It's great. You can test guitars and/or amps privately. They also only offer high-end stuff, so you don't have the typical guys bashing away terribly like at GC, etc.

The best thing Righteous offers, though, is no-pressure, hassle-free service. I wish every shop could be so chill.

That’s only because sizing on the internet is still a challenge.

Shoes are still the hardest....just like guitars, you have to try them out for a bit.

I'd like to see more shops with actual repair techs that know what they are doing and have parts on hand for common repairs (screen grid resistors for example). Oh, and same day turn around on guitar setups, mods, pickup swaps, and basic repairs.

While I'm at it, how about a sales staff that actually knows the product lines?

And for any shop that carries high end instruments, how about an area for free drinks (soda/beer/wine) and light snacks? The jewelry store that I have spent plenty of money at over the years on my wife has one. Our masseuse offers us the same in her place. Comfortable places to sit when trying out a guitar would be nice as well.

So I went to the local store yesterday and played a “black gold wrap” McCarty!

A lot lighter than I expected.

Lots of nice tones, really well set up and finished.

The guy in the store was helpful and polite.

You could tell that the guitar hadn’t been played for some time as it was covered in dust! Dirty finger marks all over the back!! Just bad house keeping in the part of the store.

Ok a little dust and a few marks doesn’t make any difference to the guitar and even the scratches in the finish on the back, make me think that it wasn’t brand new, maybe it had been sold and returned.

The guitar was great, the way in which it was presented wasn’t! A nearly £3k ($4k) guitar looking like it should be sitting in a stand with cheaper ones wasn’t what I expected.

It’s just a sloppy attitude to have, when I’m sure sales of an instrument like this don’t happen every day!

I remarked to my friend as we left the store, that if I worked there, I would make sure the instruments were my priority. Although on the wages they’re paid, the guys/gals probably have more than enough to do and are very busy, or maybe they just don’t care?

Ok, crazy Idea, seeings how we all know what we want from, and how to operate a Guitar store, why don't we pool our money and buy out GC, fire their employees, hire a few of our trusted techs and friends, and... wait for it.... start our own guitar store? Yes, I am being half sarcastic, but I am being half serious too. To paraphrase David Essex in Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds;

Take a look around you at the world we've come to know
Does it seem to be much more than a crazy circus show
But maybe from the madness something beautiful will grow
In a brave new world

With just a handful of men

We'll start - we'll start all over again

I've Got A Plan!

One that offers live stage demos, like this...
voodoo1.jpg

Back