Guitar Center

I don’t know how genuine this is, but it enrages me to see instruments damaged like this!

My local GC (Boston suburbs) recently had a new SG for sale for $450, with the standard Gibby headstock snap. Fortunately it was still strung, so it wasn't a full decapitation. :eek: At least you can understand why they put guitars of any value out of reach of their regular clientele.

My local GC (Boston suburbs) recently had a new SG for sale for $450, with the standard Gibby headstock snap. Fortunately it was still strung, so it wasn't a full decapitation. :eek: At least you can understand why they put guitars of any value out of reach of their regular clientele.
I do understand the economics of a damaged/irreparable instrument. But don’t take a hammer to it, to prevent someone from making it a “fixer-upper”.

Sergio would have made it into a “dimebag” had it been a PRS!

There are always going to be the “non-buyer”s” that are harsh on instruments and usually staff know or recognise these people quite quickly. But I don’t think the damage in the video was likely caused by a customer.

I do understand the economics of a damaged/irreparable instrument. But don’t take a hammer to it, to prevent someone from making it a “fixer-upper”.

Sergio would have made it into a “dimebag” had it been a PRS!

There are always going to be the “non-buyer”s” that are harsh on instruments and usually staff know or recognise these people quite quickly. But I don’t think the damage in the video was likely caused by a customer.

In all fairness to GC, I'm guessing that they're contractually obligated (by the instrument manufacturers) to destroy unsellable/non-returnable merchandise. I know that book publishers require that of booksellers - you'll often find dumpsters full of books with their covers ripped off. But, other than you can't judge the books by their covers ;), they are still readable.

In all fairness to GC, I'm guessing that they're contractually obligated (by the instrument manufacturers) to destroy unsellable/non-returnable merchandise. I know that book publishers require that of booksellers - you'll often find dumpsters full of books with their covers ripped off. But, other than you can't judge the books by their covers ;), they are still readable.
I appreciate this, but surely as lovers of musical instruments, there must be others that feel that this is fundamentally wrong!

As a creative person, I feel there is something morally wrong about destroying something that could do good and bring people joy!

Maybe I’m just a “short-haired hippy” in 2018!!:D

I appreciate this, but surely as lovers of musical instruments, there must be others that feel that this is fundamentally wrong!

As a creative person, I feel there is something morally wrong about destroying something that could do good and bring people joy!

I agree, but that's business, I guess.

Tell that to PRS, as they send anything less than perfect to the band saw. Otherwise, I'm sure there'd be a squatter camp behind their dumpsters.

I agree, but that's business, I guess.

Tell that to PRS, as they send anything less than perfect to the band saw. Otherwise, I'm sure there'd be a squatter camp behind their dumpsters.

You guys are both right. I just wish times today were as they were when I was in elementary school in the early/mid 70s when they still had real music classes every day. Even today, this would be a great place for these blemished instruments to end up. Not to get too far off line, but our school systems would benefit from more of the arts. Such a valuable ciriculum being missed.

You guys are both right. I just wish times today were as they were when I was in elementary school in the early/mid 70s when they still had real music classes every day. Even today, this would be a great place for these blemished instruments to end up. Not to get too far off line, but our school systems would benefit from more of the arts. Such a valuable ciriculum being missed.

Public school in the US is just bad now. I don’t want to get too political here but I think a lot of our problems would “fix themselves” if we put a bit more effort and money into making each generation smarter than the last. Music included. It definitely promotes wellness and teaches you to think differently.

Believe it or not, but backwater Honolulu has a PRS pusher supreme. Dan's guitars on Baretania St. several rows of them, almost all core, amps too. The stock changes rapidly because PRS is a very popular mark out here with the Pseudo jazz wannabe's. The first time I pulled my McCarty out at a jam, there were audible oohs and ahhs..."Dan's right"? No, GC in Texas....
Even in 2004 when I was gifted my guitar, their rows of PRS instruments were not in the best shape. My personal example was a Dallas guitar show guitar and some idiot had put a pin head size ding in the top at the bass side of the bridge. I got a 200 buck discount for it, but everyone I played that day was dinged, some worse than others, and the strings were almost shot. These beautiful guitars were left on the show floor for goobers to flail around on and then sold as new...GC at it's finest.

Last edited:
I go in all the time, but not to buy guitars. I travel a lot for work, and chances are there's a GC in a strip mall in most towns - I go in to "try out" the guitars - i.e., I get to practice for 30-40 minutes. :) Maybe I'll leave with a used pedal or a set of strings or some other random small item that I probably didn't need.

Good on you for buying something while there.

I never believed people practiced in the store until a few days ago when I went in to see a strat and ran into a whole band in there basically practicing for a gig. They told the manager that they were there to 'test out an amp that they were thinking of buying' but they were straight up using the store as a practice space, lol. Had a guitar player, a bass player, a singer, and all the girlfriends. Trading licks, riffs, and goofy guitar player 'faces'.

It was near closing time so when asked if they needed anything to check out, it was 'oh no, we aint buying anything'. Yeah.

I spent 15 minutes with the strat hooked into a Marshall then got my lil pack of Optiwebs and bolted. On a side note, I kinda like those Optiwebs. Feel totally non-coated to me (although not quite as bright as the Nanos). Now I'm just waiting to see how long they last...

I never believed people practiced in the store until a few days ago when I went in to see a strat and ran into a whole band in there basically practicing for a gig. They told the manager that they were there to 'test out an amp that they were thinking of buying' but they were straight up using the store as a practice space, lol. Had a guitar player, a bass player, a singer, and all the girlfriends. Trading licks, riffs, and goofy guitar player 'faces'.

It was near closing time so when asked if they needed anything to check out, it was 'oh no, we aint buying anything'. Yeah.

I spent 15 minutes with the strat hooked into a Marshall then got my lil pack of Optiwebs and bolted. On a side note, I kinda like those Optiwebs. Feel totally non-coated to me (although not quite as bright as the Nanos). Now I'm just waiting to see how long they last...

They last forever.....unless you spill your margarita on them! I'm a big fan of the Optiwebs. They feel good on my diabetic fingers

Did it go something like this - 9:32

They last forever.....unless you spill your margarita on them! I'm a big fan of the Optiwebs. They feel good on my diabetic fingers

Cool. I was only using the nanowebs on my 'storage' guitars that I dont play everyday but I think I'm gonna use the Optiwebs instead of those now. I still like the soft feel of my Curt Mangan strings the best so I have those strings on everything other than my DC3 (which likes NYXLs for that super bright single coil tone).

I do like the crisp sound of the Optiwebs better than the basic XLs though... so they are definitely now my 1st choice for in-store brand guitar strings. 1. Optiwebs 2. NYXL (only for specific guitars and only 9.5s+ because the 9s feel like lil knives slicing my fingertips), 3. XL

I love FF... But those dudes in my store are not in danger of being on the FF level any time soon.
In that case, have a look at the Chris Moyles interview on YouTube. If you haven’t already seen it, look out for DG’s impression of Christopher Walken!

Back