Guitar Center

DarkPenguin

Does GC still sell PRS? I saw exactly one when I was in the local store today.

Sweetwater is my friend, I guess.

They are cutting way back...the one near me used to carry 30-40 instruments, last time in I don't think I counted 10.

GC in my neck of the woods usually have only 1 or 2 on hand . I've ordered 3 from Sweetwater in the last month . You can choose from their stock & returns are usually not a problem , not to mention I got 10% of when I ask . YMMV ....

The few near me tend to carry 1-3 S2's, about 3-4 SE's and one shop carries about 4 Cores. I used to love seeing a bunch of PRSi years ago, but it seems like that's just not a thing anymore. It seems like the decent G's are gone or few and far between, and the bulk of the stores are F's and angry halloween cookie shaped shredders.

I couldn't find anything that I was loving locally, so I made GC do the work for me. Ordered my 305 from an out of state store and had it shipped to mine. I was pretty confident it would be amazing (given it's a PRS), and it was great. Sadly, GC decided to up and lose my factory hard case for it...:/ Not sure how that was possible. When I was little it seemed like the local Sam Ash carried about 20 PRS, and this was pre SE days. I never had a GC to compare it to back then.

GC in my neck of the woods usually have only 1 or 2 on hand . I've ordered 3 from Sweetwater in the last month . You can choose from their stock & returns are usually not a problem , not to mention I got 10% of when I ask . YMMV ....

3 in the last month?
Party at alman’s House?

3 in the last month?
Party at alman’s House?
Yes , it's a problem :p In my defense , I returned one of them . No fault of the guitar . Just wanted to be happy since it will probably be the last purchase for while . It's replacement was awesome and I'm glad I swapped it out . I'm in the same boat as the OP , It's hard to test drive specific models in the wild here . Ordering them from Sweetwater with their return policy is a great option .
The replacement was a Whale Blue SE22 Custom . Pics to follow in a new thread tomorrow :D

Most GC's I've visited over the past couple of years... 2-3 S2's, and 3-5 SE's (various models) at any given time. No more Cores. I usually go straight to the Used rack - often will find a CE or an older Core there.

Local store has been better than that. Schecter city these days. Of course they've a huge selection of Fenders these days and I can remember when those were hard to find at a GC. I guess it is a matter of who they've paid recently.

GC changed their policy a couple years ago. They had a monster sell off where you could get a new core guitar at their cost or less. We all thought they were doing it to make an interest payment or something. When they restocked they published that they were not carrying PRSi in every store. They would have a few SE's and maybe an S2 here and there, but there were only a few designated stores that would carry core PRSi. Only the best high volume stores have core status.

The closest one to me only has SE's. As AP515 mentioned, it all changed a couple of years ago. Heck, even the "cool room" at my GC doesn't have anything over $1500 in it. Used to always have the "high end" guitars and amps in there. Lots of beginner type stuff. Which is ok. I see a lot of mom's and kids in there whenever I go. Seems like their new lesson program is attracting some people, and causing more foot traffic.

There are a couple of Signature Stores in the area, but I'm not driving to them. The internet is my friend!

The Canadian version of GC (Long and McQuade), or L&M for short is similar. Used to have quite a few core on the wall to try out. Almost bought a gorgeous red/black satin SC trem there. They also had that "special" room with Artist and PS worthy axes.
Now you're lucky to find a SE on the wall... :(

A dealer I was at told me that GC could not sell the core line in all but a few stores due to many guitars becoming poor examples of PRS quality due to showroom wear and rusty strings etc. He went on to say that his PRS rep came to his store to offer some "used" GC stock that they had removed from a local GC. The story matches pretty well with my experience of taking a guitar off the wall at GC, usually dinged, rusty strings, out of tune and not setup. But at least there were usually plenty to choose from!

A dealer I was at told me that GC could not sell the core line in all but a few stores due to many guitars becoming poor examples of PRS quality due to showroom wear and rusty strings etc. He went on to say that his PRS rep came to his store to offer some "used" GC stock that they had removed from a local GC. The story matches pretty well with my experience of taking a guitar off the wall at GC, usually dinged, rusty strings, out of tune and not setup. But at least there were usually plenty to choose from!
Unfortunately for GC, I think this is how alot of us have perceived them and why they arent doing very well financially.

GC decided to keep most PRS core instruments in platinum room locations, after they had to do a liquidation to clear all the NOS they accumulated during the recession. There are some GCs that don't have platinum rooms but still carry core stuff. The GC in Manchester CT is one of my favorites to stop in at. Not a lot of instruments and not a platinum room location, but always a few nice PRS core behind the counter. The Platinum room in Orlando is a must stop at for anyone in that area. I have major impulse control issues at that place.

Back