Guilty Pleasure

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Watching the Bee Gees tribute on CBS tonight cuz the Mrs turned it on. Gotta say, I'm diggin' it. Hated them in the day, cuz, you know, not \m/ !!!! Glad to say that growing up makes you appreciate all kinds of things that are good that you may have been to narrow minded to enjoy in your youth. Good music, and talent reigns, no matter what you think of them. Watching this is making me smile right now!

Everyone should go back and check out those things you hated in your youth. You might just find a new found appreciation for all things talented.

Last edited:
Yup, hated them back in the day, too, because disco, but developed an appreciation for "Holiday" when Ian Lloyd covered it, then developed a fondness for "Nights on Broadway" when I didn't hear it for a long time, then heard it, and realized it was actually a craftily written tune. The (now ex-) wife loved 'em, so kind of had to develop a tolerance for them, but would be lying if I said I hated anything she played by them (she tended towards the pre-disco era, "Lonely Days", etc.).

Also, never got over my love for synthpop, there's a purity to it that I haven't heard in any other genre of music.

Also, Hall & Oates -- dismissed them as pop drivel until I heard their cover of Mike Oldfield's Family Man which was weirder than the original...then found out Hall had worked with the likes of Fripp, so started paying attention.

Back when Rock Band was a thing I fell in love with whacking on plastic drums. As a dyed in the wool metalhead I scoffed at Duran Duran when they were owning radio and MTV in the mid-late 80's. But I was humbled when that damn game made me pay attention to what was going on rythymically in those songs... I gained respect I hadn't had before.

Look up Dweezil's cover of "Stayin' Alive" from years ago.... talk aboot ROCK!!!!

There are two versions of that - the released version with Donny Osmond, and the version they couldn't get permission for with Ozzy on vocals.

As far as Bodia's title, I don't believe there's any such thing as a guilty pleasure - if you like it, you like it.

And I do like the Bee Gees. "Nights On Broadway" is a gem. "Fanny, Be Tender" is another one I usually end up playing multiple times when I hear it. And the Saturday Night Fever songs are classic.

I saw a special about them around the Spirits Having Flown era. It showed them recording "Tragedy", and Barry deciding an explosion would sound good - so he ended up making the explosion sound the way we all did as a kid, by cupping his hands around his mouth.

Back