Greg Howe

Lbushwhack88

Hey guys! Just a bored post I'm laying out after listening to some of his stuff lately, I'm not sure if anyone has talked about him much on here but if not here goes!

So it's safe to say that about 8 or 9 years ago when I was getting into instrumental guitar albums, I came across Greg's catalog and was just absolutely mindblown. The guitar tone, the licks, the just downright greasy funky FEEL that he exhibits on his melodic lines...and probably the most impressive thing to me of all surprisingly: The chords and progressions that he seamlessly wove into each song that just popped with complex but entirely digestible sonic genius.

I was listening to alot of Joe Satriani and Vai and some of the more "mainstream" players along that vein before I came across Greg, and thought I was learning who the true shred masters were, but when I listened to Greg's jump start for the first time, I felt like I was finally waking up to guitar heaven!! Greg's stuff made Satch Boogie sound like absolute CHILDSPLAY technically while still having the killer melodic hooks on top of the head spinning smooth-as-silk legato runs into the cosmos with his tapping licks, and he wasn't diming out his distortion, at least not after a few albums, when he really started refining his fusion chops.

I immediately wanted to start playing fusion, but most fusion I was trying to get into at the time just got so outside of the box and dissonant, and I absolutely hated that...It was such a great feeling finding someone like Greg who was playing jazz fusion guitar but was somehow finding a way to make it all sound SO tasty and accessible to my non-jazz-schooled ear at the same time.

Anyhow, I'm rambling and I apologize. If you guys haven't heard him, and you take your playing seriously, please do your ears a favor and listen to some of his music. His neoclassical stuff was a little cookie cutter, but after his first or second album, you will hear the playing of an incredibly talented and driven young Greg Howe at his absolute finest. It's not rocket science playing fast, but doing it with Greg's feel over the outstanding chord progressions he cooked up on his albums is just out of this world.

I've found that he isn't as shocking live, maybe a little bit of stage fright or not enough time warming up with the material, but he was / Is an absolute perfectionist with his studio cuts.

I'm about to start working through one of his tunes called The Terrace, it has some awesome chord changes and I'm gonna try to learn them all and figure out how they relate so I can take a look into his head and see just how he was coming up with some of those chord changes, just unreal to me.

Listen to this, you won't regret it!! And sorry for the novel!

If anyone is interested, I will at least post the chords to this song (and some others I'm gonna work on) in this post. Also, this post was entirely subjective! No disrespect to guys like Satch but that's what I hear!

I remember getting into Greg Howe around the time he burst into the scene in the late 80s. My first alert to him was a Fender ad in Guitar World (forgot exactly what episode it was) and it showed him with this flashy and heavily modified, Floyd Rose equipped, hot red/pink-ish Stratocaster (which we now know as the "H.M. Strat") and since this was the golden era of the shredder guitarist and me being a very impressionable teenage guitarist, I decided to immediately go to my nearest Believe in Music record & tape store (CDs were still a rarity at this particular BiM) and purchase the cassette. I was definitely not disappointed and shortly thereafter, he released another album but this time featuring his brother Albert on vocals called Howe II ("High Gear"). This guy was all over the neck a la MacAlpine and did the craziest dive-bombs this side of Hendrix. He definitely was my fave shredder of the day, even more than Satch, Vai, Vinnie Moore, Yngwie, et al.

I remember getting into Greg Howe around the time he burst into the scene in the late 80s. My first alert to him was a Fender ad in Guitar World (forgot exactly what episode it was) and it showed him with this flashy and heavily modified, Floyd Rose equipped, hot red/pink-ish Stratocaster (which we now know as the "H.M. Strat") and since this was the golden era of the shredder guitarist and me being a very impressionable teenage guitarist, I decided to immediately go to my nearest Believe in Music record & tape store (CDs were still a rarity at this particular BiM) and purchase the cassette. I was definitely not disappointed and shortly thereafter, he released another album but this time featuring his brother Albert on vocals called Howe II ("High Gear"). This guy was all over the neck a la MacAlpine and did the craziest dive-bombs this side of Hendrix. He definitely was my fave shredder of the day, even more than Satch, Vai, Vinnie Moore, Yngwie, et al.

Ditto. I had his first two cassettes as well. Loved High Gear! Sadly, I kind of lost track of him, and a lot of other shredders I was into at the time. Haven't listened to his stuff in many moons. May have to do something about that.

He had a band recently called "Maragold" with a really great singer and they released an eponymous album - I think it went under the radar, but worth checking out. Much more pop-ish, but some great hooks and amazing vocalist.

+1 to the Maragold reference, they cook! The lead singer is a bombshell AND she has pipes of gold! I'm not sure if they're around anymore, but I checked out quite a few vids on youtube.

Greg's lead playing is fantastic, but what really draws me into his stuff is his chord progressions. They're jazzy, but so smooth and easy to listen to...I would love to be able to understand how he came up with them, I guess I need to learn a bunch and figure out how they relate and what the rule set is that he is using for his modulations that are all over the place yet so subtle and well done. Most sites that I visit looking for modulation rules just list the most basic stuff like secondary dominants and the 2 5 1 and the 5 1 movement, but I don't hear much that is anywhere near that standard about his changes...

Maybe I can send him a message and get a cheat sheet

When it comes to Greg's gear, I believe he is with Keisel Guitars and DV Mark amps. He was with Fender from the beginning, but there was a period about 10 years ago where he endorsed Laguna Guitars and based on the strength of his endorsement, I went and checked one out. Not to $hit talk any companies but I am so glad I didn't go through with it because it was one of the worst sounding/playing guitars ever.

Back