Greatest Concept Albums Of All Time

I'm gonna go with these...in no particular order

Sgt, Pepper's
Operation Mindcrime/Empire
Passion and Warfare
Music from "The Elder" (I know I'll take some sh!t for this one...I can take it...bring it!:cool:)

what’s the concept of sgt pepper, the outfits? doesn’t seem to hang as a running away with the circus story and especially when you consider ‘good morning’ ‘doing better’ ‘fixing a hole’... it’s all over the place.

A concept album is an album tied together with a single concept. It can be anything from a linear coherent story such as Tommy, to something more abstract like Dark Side of the Moon. I have to admit, I didn't see a coherent concept tying DSOTM together until recently (and by recently, I mean less than 22 years ago). It's 'various aspects of life':
Speak to Me -- communication (everything run together at once being their sardonic statement on the subject)
Time -- time
On the Run -- travel
Great Gig in the Sky -- religion
Any Colour You Like -- vision
Us & Them -- conflict/war
Money -- money
etc.

Seems pretty clear to me now, in hindsight.

Mine:

Planet P Project, Pink World
Jeff Wayne, War of the Worlds
Rick Wakeman, The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
Alan Parsons Project, I, Robot

YUP! Nailed it!

How could everyone forget poor R? :eek:
Ya know, R.Kelly... Trapped in the Closet...that was the first R&B Opera...now that's a concept to wrap your heads around.o_O;)

even that article addresses the lack of cohesion and that all of lennon’s songs are about cornflake boxes and posters and kids drawings and newspaper obituaries have no place between mccartney’s intro/reprise. and ‘within you without you’ is just what? old-timey military band music?

‘denim on ice’ is more of a concept record.

I went to Sgt Peppers thinking only about the movie. Then I discounted it because of the movie. Great album, just not sure if it really is a concept.

"All of this is to say: Sgt. Pepper's was not the first concept album, but it did popularize the form." There are a lot of firsts that the Beatles are credited for, but it's really that they were the first ones to do it popularly.

Agreed.

‘meet the beatles’ was an even earlier concept album, about meeting the beatles. they were even dressed alike on the cover! groundbreaking new territory for the lads from liverpool.

At the start of this thread, I expressed my confusion about the concept of the concept album. Several people have attempted to explain it, with examples and supporting evidence. Hasn’t cleared it up at all, although I appreciate the effort. I rest, or at least drop, my case...

Carry on (my wayward sons?)...

-Ray

How could everyone forget poor R? :eek:
Ya know, R.Kelly... Trapped in the Closet...that was the first R&B Opera...now that's a concept to wrap your heads around.o_O;)

I have the DVD of that... It's incredible! It's like watching a a thirty car pileup filled with clown cars and shark trucks.

I have the DVD of that... It's incredible! It's like watching a a thirty car pileup filled with clown cars and shark trucks.

WOW! That's quite a commitment dude, I get it totally!...I did this kind of thing for years....even if I wasn't into the music or a film in particular....if it won an Ocscar OR a Grammy....I added it to my collection....I gotta be honest, I don't have the R.Kelly hard copy...the videos were intense...possibly more so, because I remember hiding in a girl friends closet when I was 16....her dad came home early from work...I'm pretty sure I left my innocence, my dignity, a sock and a pair of boxers in that closet...talk about hard to watch ....

Last edited:
‘trapped in the closet’ is an overlong but not memorable ‘busted’ rehash. ‘busted’ was great tho.

Back