Greatest AMERICAN Rock & Roll Band? Go!

Hmmmm, my personal favorite band is Canadian. I guess they aren't eligible for this.

Not sure how to define "greatest" here. The first band that came to mind in terms of sales, impact and lasting career is The Eagles. While I'm not a fan at all, Metallica is an American band that has had a lot of influence, has sold a metric ton of records and has been around for time.

But I can't help myself.....they aren't American, but Rush. It's always Rush.

Hmmmm, my personal favorite band is Canadian. I guess they aren't eligible for this.

Not sure how to define "greatest" here. The first band that came to mind in terms of sales, impact and lasting career is The Eagles. While I'm not a fan at all, Metallica is an American band that has had a lot of influence, has sold a metric ton of records and has been around for time.

But I can't help myself.....they aren't American, but Rush. It's always Rush.

Canada is in the Americas... hoser bands count!

Chuck Berry and whatever band of local misfits who he could hire for the least money on any given night gets my vote. My favorite would be the Grateful Dead, but they were so much more than a rock 'n roll band. For those mentioning Van Halen and Kiss, those are ROCK bands, not rock 'n roll - neither one of them had a bit of "roll" in their music. I didn't love either one of them (and saw both in their primes) but sort of liked and respected them, but neither one of them could make you dance if your life depended on it...

Big VH fan, but I have to say ABB.
I have to second ABB... look at all the talent from that group through the years from the Duane/Dickie era through Warren/Derek and the rhythm section of Jaimoe/Butch/Otiel/Marc. I saw and heard that band do things that just blew me away.
And I agree about the Dead. They were and will always be more about the experience and the music playing the band.
Van Halen will always be just another local band for me... they played at my high school (Eddie didn't even play guitar yet).

Last edited:
Back