GE Smith, instrumental "Can't Find My Way Home"

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

So I’ll share my GE Smith story. It was the summer of 1989, and a bunch of us had gone to see The Who at the old Foxboro (MA) Stadium. In the lot beforehand, my buddy and I picked up tix from a scalper to see Bob Dylan the next night at (Not So) Great Woods in Mansfield, MA. A blast is had by all rocking to Mssrs. Townsend, Entwistle, Daltrey (and I believe Simon Phillips on drums).

Fast forward to the Dylan show, and he has GE as his lead guitarist. Bear in mind, probably 75% of the audience was in attendance for The Who just 24 hours previous. At some point in the show during a jam, Mr. Smith starts doing windmills, a la Pete. In classic form, the crowd BOO’s him for this…at which point Dylan shoots him a look that says “do that again and I will f**king kill you right here on this stage with my bare hands”. Smith retreated back a bit towards the amps and stayed there for the remainder of the show. One of the funniest live music moments I’ve ever witnessed. Totally unfair to the immensely talented Mr. Smith, but very funny.

Side side note, I met NBA legend Kevin McHale at that Dylan show.

Back