Fuultone Tube Tape Echo

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
It came last Monday, and the I first got to use it yesterday morning.
First, a big thank you to Les, I am glad I went with this over the T-Rex that is coming out later.

I am very impressed with it.
I kind of like using it on the slow motor speed verses the faster motor speed which is controlled with a toggle.
The footswitch allows you to turn off the echo, but keep the tube preamp running for that Echoplex boost type sound.
Also there is a true bypass as seen at the bottom right of the input jack.
This bypasses the tubes and gives you the original uncolored guitar signal.
This worked very cool on the clean channel of both my Mesa Mark Five 25, and the Blackstar ID 30 amps.
Take it off of bypass, and you get the overdriven boost sound which is great for AC/DC.

I have not compared the boosted sound yet verses the Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica pedal as seen on my pedal board.
That pedal also gives you a nice overdriven boost on the clean channel of an amp for that AC/DC tone without sounding like metal on a regular overdrive channel.

So how does the echo sound?
Very nice!
Granted this cannot do all the cool type of sounds that my TC Electronic Flashback X4 can do, but it does echo very nice, and even can do slapback when the delay time slider bar is moved to the far left.
I really like though how the preamp section of the unit gives that great EP boost type of sound.

Also that is an SE guitar cable that comes with the SE guitars I am using for the footswitch cable to the unit.
You can use any length of guitar cable up to 500' to power the footswitch.

I have 17 days off starting next Saturday for the Christmas holidays, so I will try and get a video made with this, the Schaffer unit, and my son's new SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow.
Will have to get it done before Christmas day, as I need to get his guitar wrapped :D

Anyways, I have wanted an Echoplex type unit ever sine seeing one live back in the mid 70s.
Just took awhile, and I am glad Michael Fuller is making these, and that Les speaks highly of this unit.

The only trouble I ran into was taking the handle off of the Blackstar amp.
I wanted an elevated spot to put the unit, but the handle was in the way, and the TTE would not sit flat.
So I removed the four bolts from the handle, and the after taking the last one out, the chassis inside the amp fell down inside.
Guess those bolts were doing double duty.
Tried putting them back in by having the amp at an angle, but could only two in.
I had to take the rear cover off the amp, then hold the chassis in place, then insert the bolts to hold it to the roof of the cabinet.

I cannot believe there is not much inside of the cab.
All circuit boards, and of course no tubes.
Very sparse looking.
The 12" speaker though is made in the UK, but the rest of the amp in China.

On with some pics.

1.jpg

That is a fine sexy box that Michael Fuller from Fulltone ships the unit in :D

2.jpg

Unit closed, extra tape cartridge, footswitch, and two stickers

3.jpg

Close-up

4.jpg

All lit up like a Christmas tree including the footswitch

5.jpg

Sitting on top of my Blackstar ID 30 amp

Glad you like it!

Incidentally, the lid detaches if you don't want it hanging off the back of the machine like that. It releases (like a removable pedalboard lid) when you tip it back, but when new the "female" hinges are a bit tight.

Or you can leave it in place of course.

It's old-school to sit it on top of the amps, but I like to keep it away from the power transformer of an amp, because it is after all a magnetic tape machine. So I sit it on a table or stand next to wherever I'm working.

Thanks Les.
Yes, I noticed the lid comes off, I thought it was broke at first, then saw how easily you can take off.
I may get a little stand too to set in front of the Blackstar amp for the unit.

I was looking at some vids, and this guy with wild hair popped up.
I have not read my manual all the way yet, but he says if you put the stereo switch in the third position and run a second output cable to a second amp, you have a ping pong effect, very cool.
I will have to try that this coming weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds good, doesn't it? Different than digital, no matter how many manufacturers try to replicate it. There's still a place for digital delay, of course, so it's good to have both! In fact, I really think you can't have too many delay types; analog bucket brigade delays have their own thing going, too.

I still need to get the footswitch.

I have a small printer stand on wheels that I usually set the TTE on.

Indeed it does sound great Les.
Hey, I have a printer cart too, but it it too big to putt out by the amps.
I did however today find a PC monitor riser stand, and it may work on top of the Blackstar amp and clear where the handle goes.
If so, I will put the handle back on and then set the echo unit on top of the stand.

And I am looking forward to using two amps for the ping pong effect.
Have you tried that yet?

Indeed it does sound great Les.
Hey, I have a printer cart too, but it it too big to putt out by the amps.
I did however today find a PC monitor riser stand, and it may work on top of the Blackstar amp and clear where the handle goes.
If so, I will put the handle back on and then set the echo unit on top of the stand.

And I am looking forward to using two amps for the ping pong effect.
Have you tried that yet?

I have done the stereo thing, you bet!

But it's not like a digital ping-pong effect, it's different.

Back