Fryette Power Station

Well, yes it does!

Though I confess I like the cleaner more in-between tones that I've heard so far best with this amp.

Overdriven like that, the bottom end reminds me a little of my '67 BF Bassman (of blessed memory). I sometimes refer to the sound of a 6L6 distorting as "large curd," as with cottage cheese. It's a little different than the "small curd" tend to like with EL-34s or even 5881s.

"large vs. small curd" great analogy, Les. I totally get it. On the SoundCloud page, btw, there are a few different clips from the same source, which is a Premier Guitar review of the amp.

"large vs. small curd" great analogy, Les. I totally get it. On the SoundCloud page, btw, there are a few different clips from the same source, which is a Premier Guitar review of the amp.

I listened to them, and then went to the website and read the review. Obviously, it's a stellar amp for the right player.

Though I would like to point out that both my HXDA and my DG30 are absolutely silent when turned on and the guitar's volume is turned down. I'm not sure I see a need for a separate power supply, though I love the idea qua idea.

Does your amp have the new Fane alnico speaker? Seems like that'd be a very interesting speaker.

I haven't had an alnico speaker since I had a pair factory-installed in my old Mesa Blue Angel cab (I had a separate head and cab). I really like the sound of an alnico speaker.

I listened to them, and then went to the website and read the review. Obviously, it's a stellar amp for the right player.

Yeah, it's a great fit for me (although not always; with the funk band I'm playing with these days the K&M Kimock proto and/or the Carr Impala are a little better fit, just because they stay cleaner longer) but it's certainly not for everyone.

Though I would like to point out that both my HXDA and my DG30 are absolutely silent when turned on and the guitar's volume is turned down. I'm not sure I see a need for a separate power supply, though I love the idea qua idea.

I think "idea qua idea" is in line with how SF was thinking. The justifications came post-hoc because everyone wanted to know "Why in tarnation did you do it that way???!??!"

Does your amp have the new Fane alnico speaker? Seems like that'd be a very interesting speaker.

I haven't had an alnico speaker since I had a pair factory-installed in my old Mesa Blue Angel cab (I had a separate head and cab). I really like the sound of an alnico speaker.

I lean pretty hard toward alnico speakers, but then my comfort zone in terms of amplifiers is "old Fender." But, as you know, I also lean pretty hard toward clean. My idea of "heavy overdrive" is Steve Howe on Yessongs. :p

Anyway, my Aether was the first one out the door and they originally shipped with the Celestion Gold. I ended up sending my amp back to SF for a couple of minor fixes -- as with a lot of new widgets, things pop up in use that weren't apparent in the prototyping stages. SF still had the amp when I was out at NAMM, and when I heard the new Fane speaker in an Aether, I told SF I wanted one of those instead of the Gold. He obliged. The Gold worked well in that amp but it was a little beamy in the mids. The Fane spreads them out a little more, with an overall more balanced (and tactile) presentation. The only negative thing I can say about it is I'm experiencing some cone cry with the Fane, which surprises me as the original Fanes could stand up to the old Hiwatt amps which would shred lesser speakers. I'd bet that has to do with the fact that this particular speaker was designed to work specifically with the Aether, i.e., a relatively low-power amp. I haven't talked to SF about this issue yet as I've been kinda busy, the studio is still out of operation on account of having to tear up & replace the carpet, and I've been using the K&M for gigs.

Last edited:
I think "idea qua idea" is in line with how SF was thinking. The justifications came post-hoc because everyone wanted to know "Why in tarnation did you do it that way???!??!"

Well, it is a cool looking thing, and might have been one of those deals where he tried it, found that it resulted in a very quiet amp, and figured, "Why change it, it works?"

I lean pretty hard toward alnico speakers, but then my comfort zone in terms of amplifiers is "old Fender." But, as you know, I also lean pretty hard toward clean. My idea of "heavy overdrive" is Steve Howe on Yessongs. :p

That is one of my favorite records of all time. I love Howe's tone on that thing.

The Fane spreads them out a little more, with an overall more balanced (and tactile) presentation. The only negative thing I can say about it is I'm experiencing some cone cry with the Fane, which surprises me as the original Fanes could stand up to the old Hiwatt amps which would shred lesser speakers. I'd bet that has to do with the fact that this particular speaker was designed to work specifically with the Aether, i.e., a relatively low-power amp. I haven't talked to SF about this issue yet as I've been kinda busy, the studio is still out of operation on account of having to tear up & replace the carpet, and I've been using the K&M for gigs.

I've found that I'm willing to live with a flaw in a speaker, such as susceptibility to cone cry at high volume, provided that the basic sound of the thing is stellar. I really did like the sound of the amp and speaker combination in the videos and clips I've heard. Beautiful sounding amplifier!

Evidently Fane has a couple of new speakers out that look interesting. I think the Fane and the DG30 might be a cool sounding match.

Oh, btw, here's a clip I recorded with when I first had the Aether. The speaker is the original Gold. The guitar is, well, not a PRS.:bawling: https://soundcloud.com/kingsley-durant/aether-a3

SF is a huge Fane fan. He has worked with the new owners on the whole line of speakers. I thought the ones I heard at NAMM all sounded excellent. Definitely worth a try in other amps, and I think you might be right about the DG30 being one of them.

Oh, btw, here's a clip I recorded with when I first had the Aether. The speaker is the original Gold. The guitar is, well, not a PRS.:bawling: https://soundcloud.com/kingsley-durant/aether-a3

SF is a huge Fane fan. He has worked with the new owners on the whole line of speakers. I thought the ones I heard at NAMM all sounded excellent. Definitely worth a try in other amps, and I think you might be right about the DG30 being one of them.

The clip sounds great.

I think I might try out the new Fanes if I can find them around here.

Oh, and as for Yessongs here you go!

While most of my guitar-playing friends were besotted with Cream's Goodbye this is the guitar sound that percolated inside my own cranium.

BTW, did you hear that John Tout (keyboard man for Renaissance) died? Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and as for Yessongs here you go!

While most of my guitar-playing friends were besotted with Cream's Goodbye this is the guitar sound that percolated inside my own cranium.

BTW, did you hear that John Tout (keyboard man for Renaissance) died? Sad.

Sad about Tout.

I think Cream's Goodbye record and Yessongs came out 3-4 years apart. Am I wrong? My recollection is that lots of stuff in rock had changed by the time of Yes, which came out when I was in my law school hiatus from seriously playing with an electric band and I was doing mostly acoustic stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back