Fryette Power Station

Les, here is something brand new from Mr. Steven Fryette, a 1 watt recording amp.
http://www.fryette.com/valvulator-gp-di-coming-soon/
This is is an ALL-TUBE low-power guitar amplifier, preamplifier, direct box, and all-around low-volume-playing solution. The GP/DI is specifically designed to work in situations where you can't or don’t need to play loud, such as late-night playing and recording, headphone practicing, and recording straight into the board live. It is the first all-tube guitar amplifier designed to do that without any additional equipment and a minimum of trouble.

One Watt all-tube Amplifier with integrated reactive load.
Extremely broad tonal range, from clean to high gain.
Proprietary adjustable "Cab + Mic" section for direct recording.
Built-in tube Direct Injection output, usable separately as a Tube Direct box , or together with the amplifier.
Every concievable input and output required for use in just about any situation.
Fully functional self-contained "Re-Amping" solution.

Fryette Valvulator GP/DI Demo: Page Hamilton of Helmet

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Fryette has made some very, very nice amps, some of which I think are classics in certain genres, played by great players like David Torn, like the Pittbull. He's going to push the envelope with the Aether.

But...I didn't care for that clip at all!

What was missing for me in that video was any semblance of the feeling of depth or power that a reasonably good amp gives. Probably (hopefully) sounds better in person. To my ears, it unfortunately sounded like a pedal in that clip. Very un-musical, almost fizzy. Not worth anywhere near the asking price. Despite my rant against modelers, yeah, I'd rather play a modeler than that thing, at least based on the clip.

As a contrast, I was going to post the Corso demo by Pete Thorn, but this being a PRS amp forum, I decided that wouldn't be the right thing to do. However, if you google it you'll hear a significantly more impressive tone in every way, in my opinion.

And I don't push (or own) Suhr amps...in terms of the big amps, I much prefer PRS amps to anything Suhr is putting out. But this little 5 watter is pretty darn cool.

I'm waiting for PRS to do one of these. ;)

Last edited:
Les, I went to NAMM in January as an endorsing artist for Fryette, mainly on account of my use of their Aether amplifier which is a whole 'nother piece of kit entirely, easily my favorite guitar amplifier I've ever played.

While at the booth I had a chance to mess with the GP/DI and the Power Station. I even ended up talking about and demo-ing the GP-DI for some internet magazine that specialized in audio production/post-production. Wish I could remember the name or dig up a link for you. Anyway the GP/DI felt and sounded pretty damn good in the room (sound booth) given that it was, well, the NAMM show where the ambient noise, even in the booth, is absurd. I would definitely be cool with using it in various applications where I'd normally use some kind of modeler or SansAmp kind of deal. It wasn't nearly as comprehensive in terms of range of sounds as something like my POD HD Pro, but the basic sounds worked for me and were more tweakable-in-the-way-a-real-amp-is-tweakable. That said, it still doesn't really sound or feel like a real amp, at least not until I wound it up through the Power Station, loud enough to make the speakers sweat a bit. Another useful-to-me application would be as a preamp for when I have to deal with a backline amp, e.g. a Twin or Hot Rod Deluxe.

That said, if my main gig was recording, I'd probably rather have a good full-function modeler or something like the Kemper.

Oh, look: I found it!

http://postproduction.com/gear-reviews/fryette-amps-valvulator-gpdi/

Les, I went to NAMM in January as an endorsing artist for Fryette, mainly on account of my use of their Aether amplifier which is a whole 'nother piece of kit entirely, easily my favorite guitar amplifier I've ever played.

The video was a cool thing to watch, Kingsley! Thanks for posting it.

I'm not surprised that the Aether is cool, it looks like a complete winner, and the clips I've heard have been really sweet. Oddly enough, the separate amp section (that sits by the cab and controls on the floor in the pics I've seen) is styled to look just like an old tube mic power supply:

That's just so damn sexy.

But as you say, in the clip the preamp DI thing just doesn't sound like a real amp. Now that you've mentioned that it's a preamp, more or less for that purpose, I get it better.

That said, if my main gig was recording, I'd probably rather have a good full-function modeler or something like the Kemper.

I dunno, Kingsley. Would you use a Kemper model of the Aether on your album, or would you use the real amp?

As you know, my main gig is recording and I would use the real amp. Just today I re-cut tracks that I had roughly laid out with a modeler with one of my real amps, and the difference made me grin from ear to ear.

Yes, there was a superficial similarity. But when I mixed the tracks the difference in the effect of the guitar part I replaced with the real amp was huge!

I get that people have a hard time getting themselves to mic up an amp, but really, we are literally talking about putting something as simple as an SM57 on a stand, plugging in one cable, and hitting "record."

It is as simple to do that as it is to plug in a modeler and do the same thing. Every bit as simple. It's just louder in the room. If that's a big deal, I get it, but people who are in the business of recording have studios that are designed for that very purpose.

So my conclusion is the exact opposite. If you're not in the business of recording, and don't have a room where you can do that, then these gadgets and modelers come in handy. However if you're in the business of recording, you have a studio serving the purpose of recording in the best way you know how to, in order to achieve the best results you're capable of.

Such an approach is either "you're there or you're not." And for me, whether I am very good at what I do, or not, what I'm striving to achieve when I record is the best sound I can. With the fewest compromises possible.

That, most emphatically, does not mean a guitar amplifier modeler. It means a real amplifier and a microphone.

That, most emphatically, does not mean a guitar amplifier modeler. It means a real amplifier and a microphone.

Of course! And let me clarify MY point: If I did a lot of recording and I was given a choice of ONLY a good modeling amp or the GP/DI, I would choose the good modeling amp. But, like you, my first choice for recording will always be good real tube amplifiers, speakers, and microphones. And, fortunately, I have a room full of those things. Actually, at the moment, that room is the dining room, because I had some water down in the studio (in the basement) a couple of weeks ago. 9 inches of rain in one day + clogged sump pump = water seepage. Minor inasmuch as no gear was damaged, but I had to pull up and replace the carpet. :( Still waiting on the installer to get new carpet down.

I'm not surprised that the Aether is cool, it looks like a complete winner, and the clips I've heard have been really sweet. Oddly enough, the separate amp section (that sits by the cab and controls on the floor in the pics I've seen) is styled to look just like an old tube mic power supply:

That's just so damn sexy.

Not odd at all -- that's just the kind of thing that Steve F would (a) know about, and (b) think it's sexy. So, yeah. The power section is connected to the cabinet by a speaker cable and an XLR cable (which carries signal and phantom power); in theory you could use long cables for those purposes but the ones SF supplies are pretty short so you're limited as to where you can sit the "lunchbox."

BTW, I actually received the first production Aether out the door. Which eventually ended up going back so SF could fix a couple of glitchy things; he also replaced the original speaker (a Celestion Gold) with his new bespoke Fane alnico speaker. The Fane is a great match for the amp. It's more open in the midrange than the Gold.

Based on the clips I heard of the Aether, it seems like it stays super hi-fi until it breaks up, and then the distortion is very lovely. The cleans reminded me in a way of an ultra-clean Two-Rock.

I'd love to have one, even though none of my ad work with it would ever see the light of day due to the "all dirt, all the time" nature of the ad clients I work with...actual conversation that took place at my studio one day...

"What's that sound?"

"It's an electric guitar."

"It doesn't sound like one."

"It's a clean electric guitar, that's how they sound."

"It's not heavy enough. I want to feel my pant legs flapping in the breeze when the speakers come on."

"Um, OK."

Based on the clips I heard of the Aether, it seems like it stays super hi-fi until it breaks up, and then the distortion is very lovely. The cleans reminded me in a way of an ultra-clean Two-Rock.

I'd love to have one, even though none of my ad work with it would ever see the light of day due to the "all dirt, all the time" nature of the ad clients I work with...actual conversation that took place at my studio one day...

"What's that sound?"

"It's an electric guitar."

"It doesn't sound like one."

"It's a clean electric guitar, that's how they sound."

"It's not heavy enough. I want to feel my pant legs flapping in the breeze when the speakers come on."

"Um, OK."

LOL, sounds like a case of arrested development! Although even when I was 16 I was much more inclined to listen to Steve Howe and Wes Montgomery than, say, Ace Frehley. So there.

Anyway, as regards the Aether, gosh, I don't think that amp gives me a "super Hi Fi" clean anywhere on the dial. There's always a lot of texture, and unless it's barely on (and I mean really, barely on) I can always get some grit if I hit hard. The thing it does better than any amp I've ever heard is the transition from clean to crunch to grind to all-out mayhem. It's SOOO smooth and natural, kind of like a wind instrument really. To use Uncle Paul's favorite term, it's incredibly musical​. :)

LOL, sounds like a case of arrested development! Although even when I was 16 I was much more inclined to listen to Steve Howe and Wes Montgomery than, say, Ace Frehley. So there.

One of my first dates when I was 16 was to take my girlfriend to see Wes Montgomery at a small club in Detroit called Baker's Keyboard Lounge. It was a pretty famous jazz place. I'm pretty sure it didn't hold more than 100 people.

Wes was amazing. In fact, Wes' band was amazing, too.

Ever the sophisticate, I pretended to know a lot about jazz.

I still pretend to know a lot about jazz!

We were at one of the front tables. We drank a lot of Shirley Temples. ;)

Speaking of Ace Frehly, my idea of Hell is being forced to listen to a Kiss record for even one minute. It would seem like eternity.

So there.

Anyway, as regards the Aether, gosh, I don't think that amp gives me a "super Hi Fi" clean anywhere on the dial. There's always a lot of texture, and unless it's barely on (and I mean really, barely on) I can always get some grit if I hit hard. The thing it does better than any amp I've ever heard is the transition from clean to crunch to grind to all-out mayhem. It's SOOO smooth and natural, kind of like a wind instrument really. To use Uncle Paul's favorite term, it's incredibly musical​. :)

What can I tell you? The clips I heard sounded kind of crispy clean. To me.

But here's another story: One of my friends (a jazzer, naturally) came over and I was really excited about my then-new HXDA50.

"Check out how well it does cleans," I said. I turned the guitar down and played some stuff that I thought was squeaky clean. Really clean.

After a minute or two, my friend said, "When are you gonna show me the clean stuff you were talking about?"

I guess descriptions of this sort of thing can vary. ;)

Last edited:
This sounds like every distorted amp I mic'ed up for bands. Double that sh!t, add drums an' bass you have a solid, heavy rhythm section sound. IMO

I could do without Page Hamilton's distasteful Long Duck Dong routine though.

I dunno, Serg. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't "getting it" re: the 1 watter. The fundamental tone sounds awfully undefined, and there's a lot of mush and fizz. To my ears. Then again, what do I know? Maybe that's the way the world is going?

I will say that I've listened again to some clips of Fryette's new Aether amp, and it's pretty awesome for the right player. Even for the dough, which is hefty.

A guy like Kingsley or Torn could swing on that amp all day long, and sound great. Me, not so much. My HXDA gives me the "stanky" stuff. ;)

As to the Dong routine, yeah.

Last edited:
I dunno, Serg. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't "getting it" re: the 1 watter. The fundamental tone sounds awfully undefined, and there's a lot of mush and fizz. To my ears. Then again, what do I know? Maybe that's the way the world is going?

I'm not sayin' it "my thing", but then again Drop D isn't "my thing" either... The world is filled with guitar tones I don't particularly care for, but this sounds like it's supposed to sound. Ever hear Helmet? I can't say this is worse or better than Page's normal guitar tone.

I will say that I've listened again to some clips of Fryette's new Aether amp, and it's pretty awesome for the right player. Even for the dough, which is hefty.

A guy like Kingsley or Torn could swing on that amp all day long, and sound great. Me, not so much. My HXDA gives me the "stanky" stuff. ;)

As to the Dong routine, yeah.

I agree, I think there there are several choices out there in the 1 watt category that impress me much more, at least from this demo. I haven't really listened to Helmet though and as Sergio says, this might be representative of this guy's normal tone. Maybe it sounds different in someone else's hands.

Last edited:
Helmet: we broke up after I heard them play. ;)

I agree, I think there there are several choices out there in the 1 watt category that impress me much more, at least from this demo. I haven't really listened to Helmet though and as Sergio says, this might be representative of this guy's normal tone (yuck!). Maybe it sounds different in someone else's hands.

It's very possible that the problem isn't that little amp, it's the guy playing through it.

Like how this thread has turned into "inadvertently" trashing other musicians.

images

FWIW, the Aether can get Super Stanky. It's pretty loud at that point, but still. ;)

(and with an appropriate Fuzzulator, it can get Super Stanky at non-punitive SPLs)

FWIW, the Aether can get Super Stanky. It's pretty loud at that point, but still. ;)

(and with an appropriate Fuzzulator, it can get Super Stanky at non-punitive SPLs)

At some point I'll play one. I'm sure it's a very cool amp. Fryette does make nice stuff.

Back