From gloss to satin - Spray - A different approach?

cags12

I have read a few post about this subject already. Including this one.

It seems the common method/approach to satin a glossy neck is to use steel wool and micro scratch the glossy top.

However, with this post I am looking for opinions using a Clear Satin Nitro Spray to add a thin coat of Satin finish. that should address the same effect and TBH, I would feel better adding some material than removing.

I have not seen mention to this before so I thought I'd ask.

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/clear-satin-nitrocellulose-guitar-paint-lacquer-aerosol-400ml/

apiy79n2j__27460.1452895894.jpg

What are your thoughts?

I am not very knowledgeable on this subject but I think I read that Nitro coats are normally applied after an initial gloss one. Someone can chime in?

Gloss coats generally need to be roughed up a bit in order to make the future coats stick, so if this were to work in a way that wouldn't just flake off with minor use, you'd be roughing up the gloss coat anyway.

I also wanted to post what clear satan might look like. Couldn't immediately find a good visual in GIS. :rolleyes:

Gloss coats generally need to be roughed up a bit in order to make the future coats stick, so if this were to work in a way that wouldn't just flake off with minor use, you'd be roughing up the gloss coat anyway.

I also wanted to post what clear satan might look like. Couldn't immediately find a good visual in GIS. :rolleyes:

This

In a few weeks, we are going to get the thread where the OP has to send his axe into the PTC for a refinish :)

Unless you are skilled with finish work I would steer away from taking on such a project.

You can spray nitro over poly, but yeah, what John said. Using steel wool or micro mesh doesn't remove much finish, so no worries of sanding through unless you really go to town with a rough grit.

I don't think I'd want to see what clear Satan looks like. Have you watched the show Lucifer? Seeing the true face of the devil drives people crazy.

Well I never said I would just do it just like that. I just wanted to know opinions and if it were possible at all.

If you want a satin finish, as the others have said, this can be achieved with wet and dry or wire (steel) wool. W&D will give you a more controllable approach, especially 1200 grit or above. Go gently, as you only need to satinize the surface.

You are then left with the option of buffing the lacquered neck back to a gloss finish, in the future if you change your mind. Also, over time the lacquer will return to gloss with the friction of your hand as you play.

Remember to mask carefully, there are some good videos on YouTube. The “v-shape” that PRS create at the rear of the headstock looks very attractive!

The satin finish lacquer has less component in it that creates a gloss finish, so it still needs to be buffed to flatten it off. It is not as simple as just spraying some lacquer on the neck of your PRS and getting a perfect finish straight off the tin.

Spraying is an art form in itself. The guys/gals that do it, make it look easy! They have practiced and sprayed lots of times before perfecting their ability.

What ever you decide, I hope it works well for you.

Back