Fretboard Sealing Polish recommendations.

DRM_777

Hey folks,

I've been using Jim Dunlop Lemon oil for years to treat my fret boards however I was intrigued by the extra tip provided on the Care and Maintenance section of their site of sealing the fretboard with a quality furniture polish.

I am assuming this needs to be a silicon free polish and I also understand that Paul's preference is Behold, though we don't get that here in the UK.

Does anyone have recommendations of a good quality polish I can use for this purpose that I can get hold of here in the UK easily?

Any info greatly appreciated,

Dale

I use PRS cleaner and polish - but for fretboards I've started using Gorgomyte and let me tell you, this stuff kicks MAJOR ass. Its a little pricey but it gets me great results with like....1/4 the time and clean up.

http://gorgomyte.com/

I use PRS cleaner and polish - but for fretboards I've started using Gorgomyte and let me tell you, this stuff kicks MAJOR ass. Its a little pricey but it gets me great results with like....1/4 the time and clean up.

http://gorgomyte.com/

Just had a look and watched a demo of it being used......very impressive! I think I may well order a sheet and give it a go!

Thanks for the tip!

Just had a look and watched a demo of it being used......very impressive! I think I may well order a sheet and give it a go!

Thanks for the tip!

I wish I could say it is a hyped up product but it really negates the need to use steel wool and gets a fabulous clean on the board and frets. I was really taken back when we first used it. I order it from StewMac.com for $10 USD a pack.

I wish I could say it is a hyped up product but it really negates the need to use steel wool and gets a fabulous clean on the board and frets. I was really taken back when we first used it. I order it from StewMac.com for $10 USD a pack.

Well I'll be honest, I rarely clean the frets with wire wool simply because it's a hassle and generally just treat the fretboard with lemon oil like I mentioned.

But yeah, this looks real good if I can kill two birds with stone and give my frets a nice shine and feel as well as negate the need to use Lemon Oil, or even if I still need to use Lemon Oil I would imagine it wouldn't need to be as frequent when using Gorgomyte.

Nowhere in the UK seems to sell it, but they only charge $2.50 for shipping and the total cost for a sheet and shipping works out at £7.77 which if it really lives up to it's hype, then thats actually very reasonable!

Can't believe I've never heard of it before!

I'm definitely going to give Gorgomyte a try, but in the mean time I'm still really interested in finding an alternative to Behold furniture polish that I can get here in the UK to actually seal the fretboard after treating with Lemon Oil though......

Does no one else do this despite the recommendation from PRS?

I got a free pack of the Gorgomyte yesterday when I picked up my new SE Tremonti Custom.
They had them on the clearance table when I asked if they had any, and they threw it in for free.
He said no one was buying the stuff.

I do have a bottle of Fret Doctor I picked up earlier in the year, but I am going to try this Gorgomyte stuff the first time I change strings on one of my guitars.
These EB Cobalts though seem to keep on ticking...

I got the packs of Gorgomyte in the post this morning. Two weeks from date of order from the US to Scotland isn't too bad considering this was spanning the festive period.

Did my PRS SE Cu24 first although to be fair, I could easily have left on the Slinky Cobalts for another week or two......outstanding performance.

The gorgomyte lived up to expectations in a big bad way. Far easier to apply than Lemon Oil and the results were outstanding.

I opted to use two little squares, one to treat the finger board and then that bit wrapped up in a ball with the other square wrapped round it to treat the frets themselves.

A lot of black gunk was removed from both finger board and frets and once it was all buffed up with a cotton rag, the frets looked super shiny and the fingerboard looked great, but more importantly felt really great too. It had a tangible improvement in how it felt which was much smoother and silkier than before.

Definitely a Gorgomyte convert for sure and I'm glad I bought two packs now! Haha

Many sincere thanks to themike for the tip.

Nice! Glad to hear it man and I agree with everything you said. I was skeptical at first but after getting it and seeing how much gunk it removed, how bright the frets got and how much slicker the fretboard felt I couldn't say no. The time it saves me over using steel wool and lemon oil alone is worth it haha

You are not wrong. The time saving is a huge factor too and couples in with the fact that I don't need as much items as before.

I love that I can do everything I need to do with a couple of little squares of Gorgomyte and a cotton rag instead of Cloths for applying/wiping off Lemon Oil and the nonsense that comes with masking off the fingerboard and polishing with wire wool.

Here's hoping some UK suppliers start selling it so it's quicker to get a hold of!

For those of you who have used Gorgomyte I've got a question. Are the sheets abrasive to the touch? I'm tying to wrap my head around how exactly it shines frets as well as conditions.

Ummm its not fluffy, but I wouldnt exactly say its abrasive. Its got a small texture to it but I think the magic is mostly in whatever the compound is made of.

This video kind of shows what its capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another good Gorgomyte one I watched yesterweek.
Still have not had a chance to use mine, as all of my strings on all of my fiddles are still good.
Long live the Cobalts :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back