Free tickets - Steven Wilson - Chicago - 1 and 2 May 2018

@sergiodeblanc , don't you live in the area? SW, while being a prog rock guy, is also influenced by Donna Summer and ABBA...perhaps you'd like to explore his music if not already familiar?

Really, the tix for the 1 May show are just burning a hole in my brain...

Anyone? Bueller?

Aww thanks, buddy! The first week of May is tough for me, otherwise I’d be all over it.

Hey Sergio, I understand. Tough week for me too, obviously. Growf. But I won't dwell on it.

I'd like to say I'd take them, but I just can't commit to being able to go.

If it comes down to it, toss them on Stub Hub. We ended up not being able to go to Kid Rock last month. It was a last minute thing. Show was at 7:30. I put the tix on SH at 5:00, and they were gone by 5:10. Just a thought.

So I still have a pair of tix for the 1 May 2018 show in Chicago. Anyone???

EDIT: there are still tix available to buy, so I won't put them up on Stub Hub for a few days. But I might resort to that in the end, though I can't imagine they will be in demand unless I sell for below market value, and well, I'd rather give them away here...

Last edited:
HUGE thanks to Steve (Shinksma) for the BEYOND generous offer for these tix to Steven Wilson (SW). I was fortunate to have the night free and was able to fill the seats for one of the evenings.

I know that Steve didn’t “Plan” to donate these so with that in mind, I’m very hesitant to give the absolute glowing review on this concert that I truly want to. I don’t want to rub salt in the wound as I’ve been in this same position and it’s not fun.

So having said that, I will break my marginal promise and say that this is one of the best concerts I’ve seen in recent memory!

Beyond being a musical mastermind who has a knack for assembling a talented group of musicians, Steven wilson knows how to put on a show! No simple five piece band stage show here. He blends serious visuals in to the event that would make Roger Waters smile! There was a huge LED screen behind the band and a thin veiled screen that would be drawn in front of the band to have images projected on it. This produced a hologram like image that was integrated to great effect during certain songs. One notable use of the screen was early on during Pariah that featured Ninet Tayeb on the screen...VERY powerful song and one that the holographic visuals benefited from greatly!

He spoke between songs a fair amount and gave nods to Prince, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson and other “Pop Bands” that you may not associate with a man who’s been labeled as progressive rock and in the company of Pink Floyd, Yes, among other prog giants. Steven’s his own person and doesn’t like to be categorized as any one thing. This new album (with lot’s of pop influences) is a reflection of this individualism. It’s a polarizing album amongst SW fans, but honestly, I feel it’s one of his best!

The show was a wonderful mix of his new album “To the bone” and his earlier Porcupine tree material. He started at 7:30 and played until about 10:15 or so, with one 10minute intermission. Very solid night of music!

This was one of two nights in Chicago and the venue seemed to be full, which is good. One of his observations that evening was kind of poignant was when he held up his guitar (Sorry Paul, but it was a Telecaster), and said “For all you under the age of 25, this is an electric guitar”. :Cheers and applause: “Something that doesn’t see much use in today’s music”. He then went on to point out the sad irony that the two birthplaces of classic rock and roll (America and Britain), produce his smallest audiences. He reflected on how he hoped that this would change one day soon, as he enjoys playing in both countries. Seems the Europeans haven’t lost sight of good music! I thought about how I might want to move overseas one day...sigh.

Anyway, I brought a friend who had seen Porcupine Tree years ago and he felt Steven sounds even better in his own band these days. He quickly bought the new album and is going to dig through Steven’s more recent albums.
Thanks to Shinksma’s kind gesture we were able to support a truly gifted artist who is carrying the torch (in a big way) for good music played by beyond talented/gifted musicians.

If you are able to catch this tour, I encourage you to...you will NOT be disappointed!

Thank you Steve for making this possible!

I look forward to meeting you at a future SW concert so I can buy you a beer and thank you live and in person!

Back