Free tickets - Steven Wilson - Chicago - 1 and 2 May 2018

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Hey folks,

Due to an unexpected family obligation, I will not be able to travel to the Chicago area and attend a couple of shows by Steven Wilson. He is the former front-man and writer behind Porcupine Tree, also a primary member of No-Man and Blackfield, and has many side projects including Bass Communion and I.E.M. He is now recording and touring under his own name (with full band), and his latest album, To The Bone, while his most accessible/poppy material yet, is still very prog-rock-ish. And they play a lot of back catalog stuff too for the concert.

I have two tickets for each night of the Chicago shows at the Vic Theatre, 1 and 2 May 2018. Seats are floors, center section, row P one night and row M the other, IIRC.

I don't think I'll be able to sell them all that successfully - tix are still available (much further back) for both shows, AFAIK.

I have offered them to family that live in the area (we were going to visit them as part of the trip), but they are not interested.

So, I am offering up my e-tickets for these shows to the forum. I don't expect anything in return, and I don't expect you to pay it forward - just hopefully enjoy the show, maybe buy a t-shirt or CD/Blu-ray (his music is awesome in surround sound!).

First two people that can pretty well guarantee they will make either of the shows will get a pair of tickets each. Please specify which date if you are constrained - I will then give the other set to the next person.

Please PM me and then respond here to let others know of the interest. Once I let you know you are in, we can trade email addys, etc.

If only one person shows interest by this time tomorrow, you may get both pairs...

More background, for those interested:

SW has also re-mixed for stereo and surround many classic rock and prog rock albums, including a large part of the King Crimson, Jethro Tull, XTC, and Gentle Giant catalogs, plus a Rush album and tons and tons more.

He's the reason I got into PRS - he played an emerald green CU22 on tour in 2001 or so, and although it took about 12 years, I eventually got my own PRS (emerald green CU24, 10-top, birds).

Of course, now I have a few (cough cough) more PRSi in the collection.

Very cool, Shinksma! This almost makes me wish I lived in Chicago - this tour isn't coming near me.

Highly recommend seeing SW. I saw the "hand. cannot. erase." tour, and it was spellbinding from beginning to end.

I'll be at the May 1 show. He's really amazing live - and the reviews of the shows at Royal Albert Hall say this is quite a production.

Great gesture, Shinksma! Steve Wilson is one of my favorite artists - anyone who goes will not be disappointed - and he's plays a PRS!

Hmm, this has been out there all day long, and no PMs yet. Weird. So...bump?

Let me check with my son that lives in Chicago. It sounds like his kind of music. I'll get back to you.

If they'd built that Pittsburgh to Chicago hyperloop...

I'll be at the May 1 show. He's really amazing live - and the reviews of the shows at Royal Albert Hall say this is quite a production.
OK, so no-one else has requested anything. @Ovibos , do you want another pair of tix for the May 1 show to give to a couple friends, or perhaps a pair of tix to the show the next night?

I'd be up for the May 2nd tix if still available! Very kind offer!

I've never seen Steven solo or with porcupine tree but love his work in both bands. Just picked up his latest on vinyl and love it!

I believe I pm'd you shinksma so let me know if you see it.

OK, one pair of tickets will go to Steve B for the 2 May 2018 date.

Anyone want the other pair for 1 May 2018?

OK, so no-one else has requested anything. @Ovibos , do you want another pair of tix for the May 1 show to give to a couple friends, or perhaps a pair of tix to the show the next night?
That's a lovely offer, but I can barely drag my wife to shows, let alone others!

That's a lovely offer, but I can barely drag my wife to shows, let alone others!
Fair enough!

Funny thing is, my wife loves SW/PTree, so this was a real bummer we couldn't make this trip. She hadn't heard any of that music before meeting me (not exactly easily found on regular radio), but now she's a huge fan.

Fair enough!

Funny thing is, my wife loves SW/PTree, so this was a real bummer we couldn't make this trip. She hadn't heard any of that music before meeting me (not exactly easily found on regular radio), but now she's a huge fan.
My wife has gotten into SW, but mostly listens to pop on her own.

We have 2 small kids so getting to shows is a lot of activation energy.

And because we have those kids, she's found his performances of "Routine", with that video behind him, completely shattering. So powerful and hits so close.

And because we have those kids, she's found his performances of "Routine", with that video behind him, completely shattering. So powerful and hits so close.
Gotcha. yeah, that is an emotional song. Well, most of his songs are, just depends on personal experience how well they connect, I suspect.

Man - if I could get to Chicago that week, this discussion would have ended a long time ago.

C'mon people - snatch these up!

Speaking of SW's Abba influence, check out Fozzy (Chris Jericho's metal band) playing SOS. My buddy laughed when I said they were going to play that, but they rock it.

Back