Frank Zappa or Robert Fripp? Go!

Lee B.

I stitch my wings and pull the strings.
For me it’s Zappa, but I really need to hear more King Crimson.

Zappa all day, every day, and thrice on Sundays. I like King Crimson, but for me, it's not even close. Haven't heard enough of Fripp's Frippertronic stuff (which is what Wedge saw) to have an opinion on it.

Zappa covered all kinds of music. For as much as he gets noticed for the off-color stuff, he also wrote some flat-out beautiful music. "Sofa", "Black Napkins", and my favorite, "Watermelon In Easter Hay". Underrated as a guitarist.

FWIW, Dweezil Zappa is touring again on his "Choice Cuts" tour. Playing a lot of FZ's more obscure stuff. I saw the tour about a week ago, and frankly (tee-hee), it's going to be difficult for any other show I see this year to top that. Almost 3.5 hours long, pretty much non-stop, and DZ is playing better than ever. The show closer, "Muffin Man", was epic.

even fripp’s best stuff (early king crimson, ‘heroes’, ‘parallel lines’, other side jobs i’m forgetting) doesn’t compare to frank. i never listened to frank zappa records much but having seen dweezil play ‘inca roads’ on youtube, i wish he was playing any kind of music in oregon this year.

Frank is the correct answer,

However, if I were hanging around with indie rockers my age or younger I’d say Fripp to be cool and fit in.

For me it’s Zappa, but I really need to hear more King Crimson.
I have almost all their music. I have 3-4 albums by them that get occasional play. Others are "once in a while." They are pretty "out there." I could pick 15 songs of all their albums and make my own version of a "greatest hits" that I would really like all the songs. But overall, I've never been a real big fan of theirs, despite liking some of their stuff a lot. I like Adrian and he's a Cincinnati boy so I've seen him several times. He opened for Dream Theater two years ago.

I'll vote for Frank. Not that he's not pretty "out there" too. :)

surprised belew wasn’t on both shows, he played with almost everyone else back then. and now he looks like hans zimmer, so belew or zimmer?

‘both shows’ because i thought i was in the kojak thread.

Back