Forum Truss Rod Cover

For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

OutlineAlone_zps23a937dc.jpg

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....

I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.

This one is pretty cool too IMHO. Classy!

Agree, this one is nice.

I notice the TRCs are different sizes for SE and USA models. Is the intent to offer both sizes?

I would spend up to $50 for a joke on a friend with a "Hoff" fetish, but it would have to be animated. Maybe I'll have to look into small LCD panels powered by watch batteries. It shouldn't be impossible, only impractical. In fact, all headstocks should have LCD screens so the fans can watch you playing guitar, on your guitar, while you're playing the guitar. Thanks for the motivation John Beef.

Sorry, the flu is still lingering, and I'm not well.

The problem with good design is two-fold.

1. good design is simple.

2. the simpler the design, the more adaptable it is to disparate uses.

Making a design more complicated to make it unique also makes it worse in most cases.

We are obviously looking for something that instantly says both "PRS" and "forum". Any really good design we come up with still easily be transmuted from special to us to generic for everyone and vice versa. It is the nature of design. We can take solace in the idea the it is unlikely that PRS will use the word 'forum' on any production run for the masses and that is our edge. It remains our edge whether we use their guitar outline, their birds, their moons, their 408 pup shapes or whatever. To say "PRS", we must use something of theirs.

I'm not saying any of my designs above are 'great', nor that they are all mine. Albrecht Smuten thought of the f-hole for text. Lloyd thought of using the PRS guitar outline from the new shirts and making the design rightie and leftie friendly, I just happen to be a fast drawer in Freehand.

But if we go looking for something really unique, so much so that PRS won't want to use it or elements of it for their own production runs, we're gonna end up with something that only says 'forum' to us and not 'PRS forum'.

For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

OutlineAlone_zps23a937dc.jpg

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....

No sir, I believe you are correct...Let's move away from the brand "G" style white lettered TRC's identifying the models on all PRS! Got rid of normal pickup bobbins, redesigned pickup mounting rings, etc....

I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.

Shazam!

OutlineLnROfficialDown_zps3e9965ab.jpg

[QUOTE=']-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;54348'Design by committee SUCKS.[/QUOTE]

Aw heck, committee design is great! As evidenced by...

Pontiac-Aztek_Rally-2004-hd_zps46b9d21c.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

I still like my original birds in a circle idea to signify the world. I didn't mention it here because I didn't want to throw too much into the discussion at once, but we seem to be working well here so I'll tell the rest.

My first idea was to lay out eight of the birds as points on a compass. But when you start to shrink that some detail is lost, so then I had the birds in the same places but with no lines or any compass details. I thought just the simple outlines of eight birds could be etched into a metal surface and still retain the quality we all want. Plus it works easily for right or left-handed players. But after thinking about it, I decided that even though it could probably be done and done well, it would be pushing the limit. Eight distinguishable birds etched into metal in a space about the size of a quarter is asking a lot.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Ok... Been having a fiddle in Photoshop...

I took a photo of an eagle and traced around it with basic hard lines and then erased the photo. Bit scruffy but it gives the idea.

Not sure about the initials.. Really like the word forum with the f hole thingy...

8513443145_54256fd0b5_b.jpg

Just a quick idea. Will try another one if I have the time...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;54363 said:
While we're kicking around ideas, let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.

lol this. Good thing the "forum guitar" never got traction. TRC designs are seeming almost as serious as sinker mahogany and fading Eriza Verde tops. ;)

Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.

I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.

Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.

I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd

OutlineLnR1Bird_zps177bd13c.jpg

Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Vertical design like we're working on. Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the words official and forum. Doesn't repeat the outline of the guitar itself, and no signature to do the same. How about that?

Lloyd

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;54380 said:
Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.

I get this - and I cannot deny it makes sense. I just really, really like that half guitar line drawing - whoever did that at PRS is a genius - it is sublime art.

I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.

I also see no need for the signature...

Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.

I get this too.

Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the word forum. How about that?

Lloyd

I did this - sort of - We could always round out the circle... and make everything solid instead of outlines

9BirdsF_zps9166c260.jpg

I did this - sort of - We could always round out the circle... and make everything solid instead of outlines

9BirdsF_zps9166c260.jpg

Making it all solid would be cleaner, and more like most inlays themselves (at least in the early days). Plus, we might do away with that one little bird/non-bird guy. :p That would free up some room.

Lloyd

I get this - and I cannot deny it makes sense. I just really, really like that half guitar line drawing - whoever did that at PRS is a genius - it is sublime art.

That is very tasty, isn't it? I love that too.

Lloyd

Back