Forgotten Bands

IKnowALittle

Title says it all. Forgotten bands and guitarists.

An old Howlin' Wolf song, set in the 60's.

different band, same guitarist.

one more

Man, what a talent Bloomfield was. Tortured soul....

I'd toss this guy up as well. He's still around so, maybe not forgotten, but under appreciated? He was poised to be a "big thing" in the early 80s. Drug problems and mental illness, led to homelessness and him not playing for a decade plus.

When I was a teenager, I listened to East-West nearly every day.

Gosh, that was a long time ago. :(

Ah, Howlin' Wolf.... an inspiration of Captain Beefheart... for guitar, one might think of Ry Cooder or Bill Harkleroad [Zoot Horn Rollo].

When Captain Beefheart's "Magic Band" called it quits in 1974, they made a demo of "The Magic Band" before forming MALLARD. Mallard had two albums and saw little success... but they were so damned good.

Harkleroad is a masterful guitarist.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff from the sixties lately. I find it quite compelling.
Taking 1960 as a baseline, that's almost sixty years ago.
I was born in 1970, so I suppose I'm 'close' to the era.

What fascinates me, is the fact that all these great guitarists had to figure it out, make it their own and then take to places that were unimaginable back then.
There was absolutely no help in terms of "learning"; no instruction books (of any value), no tab, certainly no internet.
Not like today were you can learn any song or style in the universe because the instruction material is just so accessible.
All you really need is the "want to" and willingness to put in the time and effort.
Nothing wrong with that, we all live in the time we were born to, so take advantage.

That's what I really respect about those guys from the 60's. Don't have any idea how they were able to do it, but I'm glad they did.

The Godmother of rock guitar, Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Her history is too broad to cover in one post. I think she was one of the first musicians out there to have a tour bus with her face and name plastered on the side of it. Started on guitar at age 6, playing at her mother's church. Married her first husband, and played at his church. Set out on her own. Signed a "secular" contract, which disappointed her religious fans. Filled a stadium by selling 25,000 tickets to her third marriage. Had an affair with her female backup singer. Had an all-white backup band at one point.

I've been doing lots of reading, study, and watching old videos and listening to old recordings of Blues players. Her personality is probably the most interesting of those from the past, and probably one of the lesser known stories.

The Godmother of rock guitar, Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Her history is too broad to cover in one post. I think she was one of the first musicians out there to have a tour bus with her face and name plastered on the side of it. Started on guitar at age 6, playing at her mother's church. Married her first husband, and played at his church. Set out on her own. Signed a "secular" contract, which disappointed her religious fans. Filled a stadium by selling 25,000 tickets to her third marriage. Had an affair with her female backup singer. Had an all-white backup band at one point.

I've been doing lots of reading, study, and watching old videos and listening to old recordings of Blues players. Her personality is probably the most interesting of those from the past, and probably one of the lesser known stories.

Yes, I'm familiar with her story. Very interesting. There's a documentary floating around somewhere about her.
When I listen to "Killin' Fields", it takes me back to Blind Lemon Jefferson and "Please See That My Grave Is Keep Clean" and "One Dime Blues." Not sure why, maybe it's the hopelessness, despair and misery conveyed in those songs.
That's what I love about guitarists and musicians in general ... all the rouge characters.

Blind Lemon Jefferson is going WAY back. I happened across "Moanin' All Over," and picked that up right away. He did his first few recordings under the name "Reverend L.J. Bates," with Paramount Records. I learned a lot about him on a site called Blind Dog Radio, which I put on whenever I can.

For me, it's learning about the inspirations of my inspirations. If I'm lucky, some of it will rub off.

I'm fortunate to be able to play in a classic rock/blues cover band that gets a lot of work. Also play banjo in a hardcore bluegrass band when the opportunity presents itself.
But, my first love, going back to when I began playing was acoustic fingerstyle; Merle Travis, DVR, Doc Watson and Country Blues (Jefferson, Blind Blake, Mississippi John, Charlie Patton) ... etc.
Lately, I've taken a real interest in those songs again and been hittin' them hard. Really enjoyable.
If I could, I would put together a repertoire and hit the road with just myself and my guitar like I did for a couple of summers when I was going to university.
Must be getting nostalgic, a sure sign of getting old.

Back