Forbidden!

Too funny. I've been listening to Spocks Beard since the V album. 2000 maybe? And I managed to see Transatlantic in Chicago on the Whirlwind tour in a way small place. That would have been 2009 or 2010.

If you're anywhere close to Chicago, I've got an extra VIP ticket for DT that I'm trying to give away. Otherwise, I go solo. My buddy that was going got transferred to Sacramento, but at least he paid for the ticket!
Yikes! I'm sorry I never replied when you told me about that ticket. We were out of town at the time and I wasn't sure how close that was to when they are in Cincinnati. It's one week from their date in Cincy, so I won't be able to make it. Someone needs to take Bodia up on this. The VIP tickets were sold out in Cincy before I found anyone to go. In fact, I still haven't so I may be going by myself...

Yikes! I'm sorry I never replied when you told me about that ticket. We were out of town at the time and I wasn't sure how close that was to when they are in Cincinnati. It's one week from their date in Cincy, so I won't be able to make it. Someone needs to take Bodia up on this. The VIP tickets were sold out in Cincy before I found anyone to go. In fact, I still haven't so I may be going by myself...
No worries! Enjoy the Cincy show. Chicago show is now sold out. Read some great reviews from the European shows.

So back to the topic of ME (it's all about me, isn't it?) for a moment...

Today an amazing thing happened.

I was SO depressed yesterday when I tried playing, the hand muscles were simply not working at all, and by that I mean, they wouldn't even form open chords, I couldn't bend a string, nothing. I could only play single notes. And it was the third day in a row that it seemed to get weaker.

My head was ready to explode. I actually called my son in LA and said, "I'm going to send you any of my guitars/amps that you want, and I'm going to sell the rest and buy a Moog Modular synth so I can have some fun for a change." And I moped around the house all evening. A very sad, old puppy was I.

You know this from my posts. I'm sure my being upset and bummed out was a downer for Aristotle's thread.

Last night I did the nerve flossing exercises I do every day, that one of my physicians taught me. I felt hopeless, but I did it anyway. And I took some NSAIDs - ibuprofen. I had gotten permission from my cardio doc to take it for a short time.

So this morning when I got up, I didn't have pain and cramping in the hand, and I decided to try playing. Anyway, for the past hour I picked up the Northern Lights guitar that's the easiest one I have to play (probably because it's the newest and in the best adjustment). And...I was able to play. Not as well as I used to, but not too badly -- certainly much better than yesterday or the past few days.

The NSAIDs (I did take two instead of one last night) obviously reduced the inflammation. I think that must mean that the muscles are still not too wasted to play, though they are weaker for sure. But that alone is good news (assuming for the moment I'm right, but I don't see how the hand could play if the muscles weren't still functional).

This has renewed my hopefulness - if I could play today, it means the muscle wasting might not be as bad as I had feared, and that there might still be time to fix the nerve situation before the muscles get too much worse. My doc had told me he thought that clinically I had a good chance for recovery, but the past few days I'd given up completely because it seemed to be deteriorating so rapidly.

Just goes to show ya...as JustRob said, I guess one should never give up!

BTW, my son turned down my offer and suggested I hang onto the guitars.

So back to the topic of ME (it's all about me, isn't it?) for a moment...

Today an amazing thing happened.

I was SO depressed yesterday when I tried playing, the hand muscles were simply not working at all, and by that I mean, they wouldn't even form open chords, I couldn't bend a string, nothing. I could only play single notes. And it was the third day in a row that it seemed to get weaker.

My head was ready to explode. I actually called my son in LA and said, "I'm going to send you any of my guitars/amps that you want, and I'm going to sell the rest and buy a Moog Modular synth so I can have some fun for a change." And I moped around the house all evening. A very sad, old puppy was I.

You know this from my posts. I'm sure my being upset and bummed out was a downer for Aristotle's thread.

Last night I did the nerve flossing exercises I do every day, that one of my physicians taught me. I felt hopeless, but I did it anyway. And I took some NSAIDs - ibuprofen. I had gotten permission from my cardio doc to take it for a short time.

So this morning when I got up, I didn't have pain and cramping in the hand, and I decided to try playing. Anyway, for the past hour I picked up the Northern Lights guitar that's the easiest one I have to play (probably because it's the newest and in the best adjustment). And...I was able to play. Not as well as I used to, but not too badly -- certainly much better than yesterday or the past few days.

The NSAIDs (I did take two instead of one last night) obviously reduced the inflammation. I think that must mean that the muscles are still not too wasted to play, though they are weaker for sure. But that alone is good news (assuming for the moment I'm right, but I don't see how the hand could play if the muscles weren't still functional).

This has renewed my hopefulness - if I could play today, it means the muscle wasting might not be as bad as I had feared, and that there might still be time to fix the nerve situation before the muscles get too much worse. My doc had told me he thought that clinically I had a good chance for recovery, but the past few days I'd given up completely because it seemed to be deteriorating so rapidly.

Just goes to show ya...as JustRob said, I guess one should never give up!

BTW, my son turned down my offer and suggested I hang onto the guitars.
Kids, the voice of reason. Who knew?!

This post made me happy.

We are still waiting on Les's Greatest Hits album.

So is Les. I'm also waiting for Les' Only Hit album. But I think the only guy in my family who will have hits is my son Jamie.

I'm good with that - can't wait for them to release his band's full-length record. I've heard it, and it's really good. Here's video links for both of the singles, but you can't buy the music yet it's still streaming-only. Still, it's getting good reviews...they're doing a few industry showcases at SXSW in a couple of weeks.

http://partybabymusic.com

http://diymag.com/2015/08/04/partybaby-explode-into-life-with-everythings-all-right

Last edited:
He is a very sweet, unselfish, guy.

So am I, but I was going to ask you to adopt me! :D

Don't give up, Les. I did it once and couldn't play for 10 years, and it drove me crazy. Once I finally got to where I could play again, WITH PAIN, but I could play, I started playing again immediately!

What a good son! Considering dad's collection, a fool, but a good son. :)

I kid, of course.

Glad to hear you had a good day Les. When depressed and/or not feeling well, playing really is the best medicine!

That's great to hear Les, just remember this if you get too down again. However things end up, you don't have to rush into selling off your great guitars and gear. :)

Good news is good! Sounds like the inflamation has been impeding your motion -- I would definitely bring that up with the doctor, he can prescribe you something more accurate.

When I sliced my finger open, my doctor was worried about the scar tissue that would build up, so he prescribed me a bag of rice -- I was to put my hand in it, and reach around in it, like I was looking for something (I tried to imagine something different every time -- my favourite was someone's hand who was buried in rice-like quicksand -- that got me going). Is that what these nerve flossing exercises are like, or am I way off base?

Cheers and best wishes for more future successes.

Lets be honest... what he should have done, is said that he would in fact take all the guitars and amps. He should have done that ONLY to make sure you didn't sell any of them. Then, he should have prodded, nagged, and annoyed you every single day until you started playing again and took them all back.

Please give me his email address, because next time you're down, I'm going to tell him this so he and all your brothers here can make sure you don't quit!

So here's the hand update. The second EMG that I had today confirmed my subjective feeling that the hand in fact did grow weaker over the past few weeks, and that surgery is clearly indicated.

That'll happen later this month. Meantime, the hope is that it's stable for a couple more weeks.

Back