Forbidden!

Holy moly, you've been through the wringer! My best wishes for you and your wife and daughters are right!
It sounds worse than it is.
I took myself to the hospital before it got past the point of being a mild jaw and ear-ache (Pro Tip for all you healthy America males... if you experience a strange pain in your jaw or ear ache go to a hospital!)

It sounds worse than it is.
I took myself to the hospital before it got past the point of being a mild jaw and ear-ache (Pro Tip for all you healthy America males... if you experience a strange pain in your jaw or ear ache go to a hospital!)

I had one that felt exactly like indigestion several years ago. I didn't know what it was, so I took some Tums. I didn't want to wake my wife. Until I started having difficulty breathing.

I know...not the smartest thing, right?

Hang in there, and good luck Les.
I don't like moving my Custom 50 combo either. I'd like to have a head shell built for it.

Hang in there, and good luck Les.
I don't like moving my Custom 50 combo either. I'd like to have a head shell built for it.

I don't know what I was thinking when I got that combo. Well, actually, part of me was thinking "I can save about 300-400 bucks if I just get the combo instead of the head and cab."

I think I spent that much on physical therapy for my groin pull already... ;)

Les, I was going to make a joke about if you'd use 25 watt amps, they'd be light enough for you to move them, but I've missed something here. I haven't see you say you are having another surgery, but it looks like others are saying you are. Did I miss a post somewhere? If you are, I'm sorry to hear that and wish you the best. I won't make any jokes about little amps until I know you're ok.
Sorry, Les, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I just wanted to respond to this -- a lower wattage amp won't necessarily be much lighter. Rivera has three Clubsters, a 25 watt 10 inch, a 25 watt 12 inch, and a 45 watt 12 inch (all single speaker combos). The 25 watt 10 inch isn't much lighter than the other two. Part of it is that a 10 inch speaker doesn't weigh much less than a 12 inch speaker, part of it is that the iron is more or less the same.

If I was a sane person, I'd simply use a modeling amp like a Kemper and be done with it. What do they weigh? 12 pounds?

But I am not a sane person. I am a crazy person who MUST have the guitar pickups interact with the amp in the room, who MUST have all the TONEZ I can get from an amp, and who just plain loves the sound of TOOBZ, TOOBZ, TOOBZ!

This is why any shrink examining me would simply have me locked up in a rubber room, in a strait jacket, with the internet located far, far away from where I could reach it and make snarky comments about modeling amps.

But...at this point, I'm still in the world of the nominally sane, and still into the iron.

If I was a sane person, I'd simply use a modeling amp like a Kemper and be done with it. What do they weigh? 12 pounds?

If you need help moving something let me know. I want to play your guitars...er, I mean visit.

If you need help moving something let me know. I want to play your guitars...er, I mean visit.

After two of my best friends ("I'll be soooo careful") pick-gouged two of my favorites on separate occasions a few years back, and one I loaned out to my cousin ("I'll be ultra careful") came home from a session, not even a gig, with the crap dinged out of it, ("Hey, man, it's just a guitar, what's the big deal?") I've stuck to this admittedly selfish, unfriendly, unfortunate rule:

You can play my amps all day long, but...no one plays my guitars 'cept me.

I was so bummed about the one my cousin dinged up that I sold it the next day. The other two...grrrr....my friends meant well, of course, but my definition of careful is I guess kinda different...I got angry opening the cases, and wound up selling those, too.

Remember the story of Eric Clapton basically going nuts when someone picked up Blackie at a studio and assaulting the guy?

Yeah. I kinda get that. Well, not the assault part. But the going nuts part I get.

You bring yours, I'll bring mine. ;)

Sorry, Les, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I just wanted to respond to this -- a lower wattage amp won't necessarily be much lighter. Rivera has three Clubsters, a 25 watt 10 inch, a 25 watt 12 inch, and a 45 watt 12 inch (all single speaker combos). The 25 watt 10 inch isn't much lighter than the other two. Part of it is that a 10 inch speaker doesn't weigh much less than a 12 inch speaker, part of it is that the iron is more or less the same.

Mesa Mark V head = 44 lbs
Mesa Mark V25 head = 16 lbs
Mesa Dual Rec head =41 lbs
Mesa Mini Rec 25 head = 12 lbs

Mesa Mark V head = 44 lbs
Mesa Mark V25 head = 16 lbs
Mesa Dual Rec head =41 lbs
Mesa Mini Rec 25 head = 12 lbs

Les' "WTF Was I Thinking?" Lone Star Combo - 79 pounds.

Light if you're young and strong. Not so light if you're over 60 and you've had open heart surgery in the last 6 months...:eek:

Good luck Les and feel better!

Bodia - What are you my long lost brother? Rush, Dream Theater one and two. Next thing you know you will be liking Spocks Beard, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic and Steve Wilson band. PROG till I croak!

P.S. Going to see Steven Wilson at the Beacon on Thursday. Should be awesome!

Good luck Les and feel better!

Bodia - What are you my long lost brother? Rush, Dream Theater one and two. Next thing you know you will be liking Spocks Beard, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic and Steve Wilson band. PROG till I croak!

Too funny. I've been listening to Spocks Beard since the V album. 2000 maybe? And I managed to see Transatlantic in Chicago on the Whirlwind tour in a way small place. That would have been 2009 or 2010.

If you're anywhere close to Chicago, I've got an extra VIP ticket for DT that I'm trying to give away. Otherwise, I go solo. My buddy that was going got transferred to Sacramento, but at least he paid for the ticket!

Too funny. I've been listening to Spocks Beard since the V album. 2000 maybe? And I managed to see Transatlantic in Chicago on the Whirlwind tour in a way small place. That would have been 2009 or 2010.

If you're anywhere close to Chicago, I've got an extra VIP ticket for DT that I'm trying to give away. Otherwise, I go solo. My buddy that was going got transferred to Sacramento, but at least he paid for the ticket!

You are lucky to see them! Their work is terrific.

Bodia, if you haven't checked out Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree/etc. you should! :)

Les, Try this:
Line6 Helix
Hughes & Kettner 36
Hughes & Kettner 1x12

Compact and using 4CM you still have the tubes adding lots of warmth and grungy crunch when you want it.

Cheers to that -- working on the second ~half of "Ancestral" right now. Fantastic show, with his best album yet. (Saw it myself just last year.)

Les' "WTF Was I Thinking?" Lone Star Combo - 79 pounds.

Light if you're young and strong.
Uh, no. 79 lbs. is heavy, I don't care who you are. The Rivera Quiana 4x10 combo was > 70 lbs., and I basically had to roll it up the stairs to my 4th story apartment. (Two flights.)

Les, Try this:
Line6 Helix
Hughes & Kettner 36
Hughes & Kettner 1x12

Compact and using 4CM you still have the tubes adding lots of warmth and grungy crunch when you want it.

Thanks for the reccomendations...I'd rock a Helix as an effects processor, but not a substitute for an amp. I like that unit very much as a pedalboard alternative.

As to amps, I'm set. Really, I can leave mine where they are, and I have some fantastic ones in the HXDA 30. DG 30, and Lone Star. I'm good.

The only amp I'd consider adding to the arsenal if my hand improves is the DG50 with a matching 2x12...I've already got another DG 2x12 on hold at a dealer pending a few things. Ultimately the rig I'd like to have is the HXDA 30, the DG 30, the DG 50, each with its own DG cab, and the Lone Star combo. But that's only if the hand improves or at least, stops wasting away.

If the upcoming surgery doesn't stop the decline of the muscles, I'll probably just transition back to keys and synths, because I can still play them, even if not as well, and I'll be giving my guitars and amps to my son. I suppose if he doesn't want them, I'll sell them off.

The H&K amps are fine amps, but not my style. They're much more "modern" sounding than my vintage style PRS single channel amps, and single channel, vintage style amps are the only direction I'm interested in heading from here on out. I can use a pedal and turn any amp into a metal amp, but it's awfully hard to do the reverse.

The 2 Channel Lone Star was an unnecessary buy for me, it's more of a backup than a main amp in my lineup; sort of an alternative sounding thing for when I need that. And even it is far more vintage in tone than the H-K stuff. Since my son uses one for touring, it's a natural for him if the hand deteriorates. So that one's at least a possibility for him.

Last edited:
Back