Floyd Rose on Neal Schon Models...

38Roars

Bless the Blues
With the introduction of the 2 new Neal Schon models in the 2013 Lineup...
Whats your take on the Floyd Rose? Curious how the community views this.....

No use whatsoever - for me. I never play the types of music that would even utilize one.

I think the Floyd should be an artist package option - it's not popular, but there are people who DO want it.

Are Floyds viewed as Heavy Metal tremolos?I dont know anything about them,have never owned a guitar with a Floyd but i think they are pretty cool.Seems to work good.Im a bit hesitant about that small brassblock though.

Seems like the Floyd in my 305 shook the wood less than the PRS bridge but I wonder how much that matters when I've "turned it up to 11". Either way, the PRS trem is less hassle by a long shot and serves me needs perfectly. I only did the Floyd because I wanted a PRS SuperStrat.

I hate the locking nut - impossible to adjust tuning on the fly - and therefore despise the Floyd. The prs trem with locking tuners has always seemed more elegant to me.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;49801 said:
the PRS trem is less hassle by a long shot and serves me needs perfectly.
I'm hearing you, string changes on a PRS trem are very quick. I used to break strings a fair bit when I was using DRs and the band members would always freak out about how quickly I could get a new string on, stretched, tuned and ready to go.

I don't go crazy on the trem either, a wiggle here and there and the occasional divebomb when I want to be silly, so same as Hans, the PRS trem suits my needs to a T.

Aesthetically I dislike Floyds too, I think they upset the visual balance of a guitar.

I hate the locking nut - impossible to adjust tuning on the fly - and therefore despise the Floyd. The prs trem with locking tuners has always seemed more elegant to me.

I love Floyd's and once used to them it is so much easier to quick tune with the individual wheels behind the bridge than reach up and grab the headstock tuners. Super intuitive after a short while. And NOTHING stays in tune like a well adjusted Floyd.

Love the Floyd.
The PRS trem is really, really good but Floyds are just bulletproof.
Honestly, a Floyd is much easier to setup and maintain.

Eventually, I'll put a Graph Tech piezo Floyd on my CE24. It's only a matter of time.

For the things I do with a trem bridge the Wilkinson VS100 or original PRS are more then enough for me. Floyd Rose, on my opinion, are the best in the business, but to me, they are a pain when you have a broken string and/or you have to replace strings too.
I agree with Mike, they should be an option for artist package. Those NS models could come stock with PRS term, that would be interesting.

Love Floyd Rose trems but not on a PRS.
I'm also confused with the combination of the locking nut AND locking tuners. :confused:
Sorta like wearing a belt with suspenders. :biggrin:

I had a Suhr Modern Limited with a Gotoh Floyd bridge and it was amazingly stable. I found it did a great job for adding that subtle vibrato and if you wanted to bury the bar to the fretboard you could do that and she'd come right back in perfect tune. I miss that guitar.

Floyds are quite stable, and they look the part on some guitars. One of my friends loves them... however for me, sergio said it best.

Punch me in the face is how I feel about Floyds.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly! I've sold guitars specifically because they have Floyds, and the few I have left I'm mostly keeping because it would cause marital strife if I actually sold them.

EDIT:
I honestly think that people either love or hate them, I can setup a fixed bridge guitar pretty fast and string changes are can be relaxing and enjoyable. Every time I mess with a Floyd... well, lets just say I'd almost rather pay someone else to do the string changes for me :(.

Last edited:
Back