Flaws in Custom 24

Where do you live, infreaks?

There might be consumer protection laws that can help you out. In Denmark, it's the responsibility of the dealer to take care of these problems - NOT you.

If you don't have such consumer protection, I'd mail customer service to hear what the options are.

I live in Asia where consumer protection law dont exist, theres only a consumer protection firm manage by public and it wont handle this kind of case, my best bet is to bring this to court and wont worth the hassle, there's once a case where someone lose his carparked in paid parking space, the parking space company wont take responsibility about it, the car owner sue the paid parking company, it took almost 10 years to settle this in court, in the end the car owner won.

right now, i'm weighting the pro and cons of seling this lovely guitar. Thanks for all the suggestion that have been discuss here, i'm still gonna take a picture in a few hours when the sun rise, its 5 a.m here.

Last edited:
1. Start a warranty inquiry with your dealer and PRS for the finish issue.
2. Forget about the tear-out in the electronics cavity. It is meaningless.
3. End of thread.

I'm still new here. Why don't the electronics matter?

For some reason the wiring in that pic doesn’t look like the factory wiring that came in ANY of my PRS guitars, and I’ve had a bunch.

I’ve never seen blue wiring in a factory PRS. Nor have I ever seen a big chip in the control cavity like that. I think your dealer is pulling your chain; that guitar looks like it’s been modified to me.

Why not send your photos to PRS Customer Service and see what they say? You haven’t anything to lose.

For some reason the wiring in that pic doesn’t look like the factory wiring that came in ANY of my PRS guitars, and I’ve had a bunch.

I’ve never seen blue wiring in a factory PRS. Nor have I ever seen a big chip in the control cavity like that. I think your dealer is pulling your chain; that guitar looks like it’s been modified to me.

Why not send your photos to PRS Customer Service and see what they say? You haven’t anything to lose.

thanks for the suggestion, i'm gonna email PRS Customer Service after taking better pics of it. Would you kindly take pics of your custom 24 wiring ?

Yeah I think that wiring is fishy. And it's not a chip, it's a hole that someone punched to fit a wire through (according to the OP).

Ok, just took outdoor photos, shockingly, the cloudy finish also happening in the neck near the neck joint and take a look at the switch, theres another messy routing, here it goes :

Is the wiring looks normal for custom 24 production model ? it got 59/09 in bridge and neck pickup, I never do any modification for this guitar, clean this guitar after playing using prs guitar cleaner. I'm emailing customer service right now.

Last edited:
Ok, just took outdoor photos, shockingly, the cloudy finish also happening in the neck near the neck joint and take a look at the switch, theres another messy routing, here it goes :

Is the wiring looks normal for custom 24 production model ? it got 59/09 in bridge and neck pickup, I never do any modification for this guitar, clean this guitar after playing using prs guitar cleaner. I'm emailing customer service right now.
I think you're going to find that the dealer may have bought a "mint" guitar and sold it as new without checking what unseen modifications were done to it. Besides, you seem to be a high-end customer .... why wouldn't he want to make sure he contacted PRS on your behalf as a service to you and to keep you happy?

Parts of the wiring look legit and others look a bit strange. The 5 way wiring seems strange. I don't have a core PRS with a 5 way but it looks funny.

All of the factory routing should have some semblance of finish over it. The parts with frayed wood look like after-market routing modification but most of the wiring looks legit including the pots. I'm not sure about the gray wires, to be honest.

I think you're going to find that the dealer may have bought a "mint" guitar and sold it as new without checking what unseen modifications were done to it. Besides, you seem to be a high-end customer .... why wouldn't he want to make sure he contacted PRS on your behalf as a service to you and to keep you happy?

I don't know, but he suggest me that i contacted PRS, what i do know is that he's running the store pure of his passion and love for guitars, he doesnt quite care about making profit, he is a guitar maniac thats for sure.

The thing is, he is the only one in my country who provide import services from USA in a make sense fee and sells lots of expensive guitars. I've done numerous deals through his staff when buying used musical instruments from US through import services from USA to my country that he owned. my first custom suhr modern in tiger eye burst i get from reverb.

He, himself run guitar store a single man operation, so quite an eccentric guy.

Maybe he is busy, so i have no choice if i wanted to buy used instruments from US i've to done deals with him, i'm maintaining good relationship so to speak.

Last edited:
I don't know, but he suggest me that i contacted PRS, what i do know is that he's running the store pure of his passion and love for guitars, he doesnt quite care about making profit, he is a guitar maniac thats for sure.

The thing is, he is the only one in my country who provide import services from USA in a make sense fee and sells lots of hiendguitar hence the name of the store ------.com. I've done numerous deals through his staff when buying used musical instruments from US through ------.com (the import services from USA to my country that he owned), my first custom suhr modern in tiger eye burst i get from reverb through -------.com.

He, himself run ---- a single man operation, so quite an eccentric guy i believe, you could see his store in instagram @-----.
Maybe he is busy, so if i have no choice if i wanted to buy used instruments from US i've to done deals with him, i'm maintaining good relationship so to speak.

The dealer may be a good guy who just didnt check the guitar's story (used vs new) before selling it to you. If it 'looked new' years ago then he probably wouldnt have thought of a reason to check cavities. Thats messed up but I guess it could have happened. If true, it would be nice if he would admit that. Either way, if I were you, I would definitely contact PRS with the serial number and a photo of the wiring cavity then make a decision to sell or keep from that point.

Its hard to tell when some things look legit on the guitar and other things look 'off'. I dont know about anything else for sure but that splintered wood in the cavity, as well as the different looking wires, is downright questionable. I dont have a core Custom 24 (well, not yet, but...a little birdie told me that one might be on its way to me ;)) but none of my USA made PRS guitars have wood chips/splinters in the cavity areas. Come to think of it, my Korea made PRS doesnt have any wood chips/splintered wood either.

Last edited:
I'm still new here. Why don't the electronics matter?

The wiring is 100% normal. The less than perfect looking routs on the access hole and switch in the cavity are irrelevant. There is zero reason whatsoever for PRS to clean those up.

I grabbed a pic of my '16 CU22 for you guys...

hvgTQSk.jpg

The wiring is 100% normal. The less than perfect looking routs on the access hole and switch in the cavity are irrelevant. There is zero reason whatsoever for PRS to clean those up.

I've got to say, that wiring looks really clean. The solder joints are nice and smooth and the wiring isn't all over the place. I mean, sadly most guitar electronics wiring is not pretty, it's just something guitar makers don't do that well. This seems to be on the better end of that. And the hole with chips is from a paddle bit they have to drill at an angle; it's almost impossible not to chip out the wood. The only alternative would be to chip out the wood on the pickup side which no one would want. It's a utilitarian hole anyways. The clouding is another issue, but my guess would be you live in a tropical climate and that guitar has been sitting around.

I grabbed a pic of my '16 CU22 for you guys...

hvgTQSk.jpg

Good info, thanks for sharing.

This is my 2016 McCarty. I'm guessing everything is okay but I'm sure some PRS players could tell me if it's not.
WYzNoqS.jpg

kVXg081.jpg
dVbIqPK.jpg
iH4CVMr.jpg
WMOiV6h.jpg
JqcIktS.jpg

Ok, dont want to leave anyone hanging about this.

I contacted PRS Customer Service about routing in electronic cavity and cloudy issues :
1. For the routing they said "It is not uncommon for the electronics cavity to have rough areas in the wood from drilling and routing."
and President of another guitar company in recent TGP thread about Scott Henderson Signature that have issues in rear route also said quite the same thing, bottom line "that's what the rear route cover for".

2. As for the cloudy issues, "It would be difficult to know the true cause of this without having the guitar. We have seen cases of this which were linked to exposure to high levels of moisture. Most likely a repair will require a complete refinish of the guitar. It would need to come back to the PRS factory for the finish work. It would be covered under warranty unless upon evaluation the guitar has been found it was kept in unsuitable climate/humidity. Please provide me with your return shipping address and I will issue you a return authorization number along with shipping instructions."

So i contacted my dealer about shipping to PRS, he said i would have to deal with CITES regulatory concerning the rosewood fingerboard. After thinking about it for few days, i decided to sell it, it's sold now.

Thanks for PRS CS that respond in timely manner and offer a solution.
That said, i'm hunting another double cut, used.

Many thanks for all that responds to my problem, hope you have a good day :)

Disappointing. Hope you have a better experience with your next guitar.

Thank you for letting us know how it played out.

Back