Fit non-adjustable wraparound to S2 Singlecut?

sumitagarwal

I'm interested in the S2 Singlecut with the adjustable wraparound bridge but would prefer the non adjustable version from the Paul's Guitar. Can it simply be swapped on?

See if you can find a set of 57/08's or 59/09's used. The 08's have (to my ears) a classic hum bucker sound. The 50/09's with gain are lethal.
Where would you place the #7's and the Paul's (SE) pickups in comparison to those?

I have USA #7’s in an SE Singlecut. Very good with gain, need to be kicked back a couple of notches for clean sounds. I have SE Paul’s in an SE maple neck Custom 24. I’m still working on getting the sounds I want. I just put a brass trem claw in to thicken the sound. I’m a blues & rnb players mostly these days. What you intend to play has a lot to do with what pickups will sound the best. The 57/08’s are my all around favorites. Clear, mid focused and good top end. The 59/09’s are like that, only more, especially with gain. Remember, your ears are the ultimate guide. There is no better or worse. There is only how you play, what you hear, and what you want to hear.

I have USA #7’s in an SE Singlecut. Very good with gain, need to be kicked back a couple of notches for clean sounds. I have SE Paul’s in an SE maple neck Custom 24. I’m still working on getting the sounds I want. I just put a brass trem claw in to thicken the sound. I’m a blues & rnb players mostly these days. What you intend to play has a lot to do with what pickups will sound the best. The 57/08’s are my all around favorites. Clear, mid focused and good top end. The 59/09’s are like that, only more, especially with gain. Remember, your ears are the ultimate guide. There is no better or worse. There is only how you play, what you hear, and what you want to hear.
I like to be able to have good versatility via guitar controls, running into a dimed Plexi circuit. Typically this means switching to a dialed back neck pickup for clean tones and running a hot bridge for gain, but I also like plucky middle positions and dialed back bridge twang.

I hate noise, and being that I usually leave the amp gain alone and change sounds with my guitar knobs it can be an issue. In an ideal world I'd have regular series humbucker positions for both pickups, noise-cancelling inner and outer single-coil middle position options, and parallel wiring options for both pickups. That would give a range of tones while staying noise-cancelling at all time. Of course I don't think there's an easy or intuitive way to wire that all up, and seems like it would also include some of the non-noise-cancelling single-coil positions.

It’s called an SE SAS. Play one and get ready for a big surprise.
Always thought the Swamp Ash Specials were cool as hell, although I'm a set-neck non-trem guy.

For the S2 Singlecut the single-coil mode uses inner coils for a bit of a Strat notch sound, right? Not the outer-coils for a Tele middle sound?

So... I just received this guitar and from what I can tell then coil split middle position is... not hum-cancelling??

In fact, I think it's wired to be hum doubling in the middle position? Is that true? I feel like that can't be true.

Not sure about him cancelling, but regarding the #7S pickups - I’d say give them a good try before you go swapping. To me they seem to have a strong upper mid voice, although for some reason the set seems to not match the way I’d like. I ended up like the 7 bridge in one guitar, the 7 neck in another. That said, I’d not change them for anything… and I like the USA pickups a whole lot.

Not sure about him cancelling, but regarding the #7S pickups - I’d say give them a good try before you go swapping. To me they seem to have a strong upper mid voice, although for some reason the set seems to not match the way I’d like. I ended up like the 7 bridge in one guitar, the 7 neck in another. That said, I’d not change them for anything… and I like the USA pickups a whole lot.

Hrm, definitely interesting getting acquainted with this guitar.

The guitar I've been playing most is a Navigator LP-380 (basically ESP's take on a 1959 Les Paul, built in their custom shop). Somehow the PRS is simultaneously *much* more spanky, while also being a bit less detailed.

I tested and confirmed that in coil split mode both pickups are using their screw coils. Assuming both pickups are normal polarity and winding, putting together two screw coils doubles hum instead of canceling it. Very weird that PRS would choose that! Also most would generally agree that for the bridge pickup the slug coil is the better split, and is less ice-picky. I'd also argue that the neck slug coil is the better split because it's clearer, but that's a bit more up to taste and the individual guitar (this guitar is bright enough that the neck screw coil seems like the right move).

Coming from that Navigator, which has a substantially chonkier neck, this neck is comfy without feeling noticeably small. Probably the biggest difference, bordering on awkward, is how the neck feels almost rod-like with it's relative lack of taper. The Navigator starts off a bit thicker at the first fret, and then grows significantly over the neck, where the PRS is much more subtle. Access to frets 20-22 is far better! To the point that I consider it a non-issue, even though it's still a singlecut and not quite as effortless up there as my Navigator Explorer.

I always acetone test inside the wiring cavities of my guitars because I've had many guitars claimed to be nitro that really aren't, at least in the traditional sense. The satin PRS passed that test with flying colors, which I like!

Back