First high price guitar choice, please help!

If you are not buying new, then it is important to at least inspect and try in person. You would think that these 'expensive' guitars are well looked after and that LP looks like its been well used - not a bad thing but you may find these guitar need work - like re-fretting for example. You can't tell if the tuners are in good condition and the guitar is staying in tune. Don't know if the electronics are working as they should be etc so you could find you need to spend more on it to get it back to the quality it should be. Set-up and strings make a difference too and as these are old, they could be set-up to an individuals preference, not yours and with old strings too.

I would prefer to buy 2nd hand from a reputable retailer with decent guitar techs that can check, overhaul and set-up guitars before they are sold. You also have the opportunity to check them out and have some buyer protection too. I don't know the prices of 'new' guitars where you are but if you are looking at your 'first' expensive guitar, new offers a lot more piece of mind and Paul Reed Smith believes his 'new' guitars are better. Mind you he is always looking at ways to improve them so its understandable why he believes the guitars that are leaving the factory today are better...

In the pictures, the frets look fine. I would definitely see how many owners, how long has he had it, etcetera. I think you'll find the sound to be pretty thick and beefy once you set it up the way you want it. The tremolo would be the big question to me. Innocently ask if he has used it. IF he says he doesn't use it when he plays, tune the guitar and give it a couple of Hendrix bends to see if it will stay it tune. It should return to pitch after abuse, and be set up approximately 4 mm off the body, and parallel to it. Pitch should rise a half step when going up, and go down as far as you care to. If the strings are old, you won't be able to tell anything. So ask him to put on a new set before you get there, or bring your preferred gauge. Good luck, and I think the price is pretty good. Let us know what happens.

looks good in the photos, I'd be very tempted.

What I mean by a dress is a fret dress. Looks like the frets are in good condition but need a polish up

I'm liking that cu22 more and more

Thanks everyone! I decided to buy the CU 22 but I'll follow your advice and I'll meet with the seller first, so I can inspect the guitar. In order to do it I'll drive around 10 hours and I'll spend 150$ for highway fee and fuel but at least I'll see it first and I'll avoid the shipping process.
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it will end.

Thanks everyone! I decided to buy the CU 22 but I'll follow your advice and I'll meet with the seller first, so I can inspect the guitar. In order to do it I'll drive around 10 hours and I'll spend 150$ for highway fee and fuel but at least I'll see it first and I'll avoid the shipping process.
Hopefully you will get to play the guitar (with and without an amp) as well as inspect it. I know that you are going to drive 10 hours and pay $150, but if it turns out that this is not the right guitar, don't be afraid to walk away. I wish you the best.

Good choice. I’ve driven further for a guitar and like the instant gratification of walking away with it.

Solid choice, and solid plan.

Back