Finish on 22 Core Models

Nick Love

Hello everybody,

Does anyone know if PRS is still using nitro on the Core models? Keep hoping they’ll go back to poly or something similarly durable but I haven’t been able to find anything.

Thanks

Yes, they are. Very unlikely they’ll go back after the expense of converting the entire production line to nitro-over-CAB. You can’t even request a poly refinish. They are done with it. It also reduces costs for them…before they were running two finishing systems. Now they can just run everything through nitro.

I don't believe the nitro over CAB is same thing as nitrocellulose lacquer in traditional understanding. At least on my guitar it's not sticky, does not cracking or smell like a nitro. I'm not going to torch it to prove my point but... its a thin layer of paint for sure, I have small dings and one significant - I have dropped my pedalboard on my 35th anniversary o_O. Glad I downsized to metro from Novo style! Anyway, the layer is thin.

Same time I have 20 years old PRS, poly coated which is equally thin. Guitar is super resonant too.

I don't believe the nitro over CAB is same thing as nitrocellulose lacquer in traditional understanding. At least on my guitar it's not sticky, does not cracking or smell like a nitro. I'm not going to torch it to prove my point but... its a thin layer of paint for sure, I have small dings and one significant - I have dropped my pedalboard on my 35th anniversary o_O. Glad I downsized to metro from Novo style! Anyway, the layer is thin.

Same time I have 20 years old PRS, poly coated which is equally thin. Guitar is super resonant too.

Nitro over some kind of acrylic base coat has also been used by Collings for quite a while (though they will also do a shellac finish on their acoustics for an uncharge, if requested). I had a couple. It results in the feel of nitro, and the look and tone, but it doesn't get sticky.

A great finish.

Nitro over some kind of acrylic base coat has also been used by Collings for quite a while (though they will also do a shellac finish on their acoustics for an uncharge, if requested). I had a couple. It results in the feel of nitro, and the look and tone, but it doesn't get sticky.

A great finish.

What exactly is the "feel of nitro". Not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely curious :)

What exactly is the "feel of nitro". Not trying to be funny, I'm genuinely curious :)

Ya know, it's one of those things that's hard to put into words. You know the feel when you freshly wax a car, and it's all slippery, to the point you can throw a towel onto the hood and it'll slip off?

Nitro feels less slippery to me than poly.

Ya know, it's one of those things that's hard to put into words. You know the feel when you freshly wax a car, and it's all slippery, to the point you can throw a towel onto the hood and it'll slip off?

Nitro feels less slippery to me than poly.

Noted. I guess its personal but I would rather have ultra thin polyurethane coat on all my guitars. Less headache. You should see me reading reviews of guitar stands and calculating if I should risk having leather strap on my brand new Custom ;)

Has anyone compared the feel of the Joe Walsh PRS' "cracking" nitro to PRS' CAB finish?

Noted. I guess its personal but I would rather have ultra thin polyurethane coat on all my guitars. Less headache. You should see me reading reviews of guitar stands and calculating if I should risk having leather strap on my brand new Custom ;)

I've used leather straps on all my PS models (they're nitro) going back 7 years, no issues. I also use them with my 2020 and 2021 Cores. However, I take the straps off to put them in the cases after I play, anyway (I'm a keep 'em cased' guy).

I've had zero issues with PRS' nitro.

I'm one of those who thinks nitro-finished guitars suit my idea of good tone a little better, too. It's hard to describe in words how it's different, but it's there.

I've used leather straps on all my PS models (they're nitro) going back 7 years, no issues. I also use them with my 2020 and 2021 Cores. However, I take the straps off to put them in the cases after I play, anyway (I'm a keep 'em cased' guy).

I've had zero issues with PRS' nitro.

I'm one of those who thinks nitro-finished guitars suit my idea of good tone a little better, too. It's hard to describe in words how it's different, but it's there.

I don't really have any issues neither but took me a bit of time to get relaxed :)

Back