1. The forum will go down for maintenance Tuesday morning (May 21st). We'll be back up as soon as the scheduled maintenance has been completed. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Finding your Tone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wakester, Feb 10, 2018.

1. gush

gush New Member

I have the g major. It has a lot of cool stuff but I find the TC Electronics stuff to be very difficult to figure out. Manuals leave out too much important detail and the unit is anti intuitive. I was foolish enough to be tricked into buying the original ART SGE. It was the easiest processor to figure out bar none. That's all I'm going to say about that.

2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

So what are you playing the guitar into now? Amp, modeler, ???

3. DreamTheaterRules

My issue is, I have more than one "my tone." When I play Trower, I want to sound like Trower. When I play Hendrix, I want to sound like Hendrix. VH, Rush, etc. the same. So, the idea of "my tone" being one guitar and amp and this is DTRs tone, then NO. I like a variety of tones. That's why I have more than one guitar and more than one amp. If I was a LP>Marshall and that was "my tone"or Strat into Deluxe and that was my tone, then that would be different.

I think this is influenced both by what you play and by what you like. If I play a variety of other peoples music, I'm more inclined to not want to use the same gear all the time. If I played in an original tunes band, I'd be more inclined to simply take the Archon and one or two guitars and define a tone for that band. But I'm not using a Strat>Fuzzface to play Megadeth or Ozzie or Van Halen, And I'm not using my C22 Semi Hollow to play Hendrix and Trower either.

If I had to pick one guitar and amp to do "everything" and be "my tone" it would be NF3>Archon. That with a Barber Gain Changer can do ANYTHING you ever want.

veinbuster and Wakester like this.
  4. Steve's addiction

Steve's addiction New Member

I totally agree Les. My compressor and chorus are on mostly on because of the tone I get. All my other pedals are mainly for effects

Wakester and LSchefman like this.
  5. Jmartin

Jmartin New Member

I'm using an iRig stomp box into an iPad running Amplitube software. There is a lot of versatility in the set-up without a lot to lug around. But it still sounds digital and does not have the warm sound a tube amp has. I recently ordered an AMT ss-11 classic, which has two 12ax7 tubes. It's basically an amplifier preamp stomp box. I'm hoping that I can get closer to the sound I'm looking for with it.

Wakester likes this.
  6. DreamTheaterRules

It should be better. I’ve heard good things about those. If I’d caught you earlier, I’d have suggested an Atomic AA3 or AmpliFireBox. But, that pedal should be good.

Jmartin and Wakester like this.
  7. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Right there with you. My heroes -- tonewise -- tend to have multiple tones as well -- Mike Oldfield, Steves Hackett, Howe, and Wilson, Alex Lifeson, Buckethead, et al.
    You're headed in the right direction. Digital is great for modulations like phase, reverb, and chorus, but -- IMHO -- still has a long way to go before the distortion/dirt/fuzz are ready for prime time. You can still use the iRig for all that other stuff, or even some distortions if you want digital distortion->modulations->analog distortion. Just a suggestions, you're going to do whatever you want with it anyway.

Jmartin and DreamTheaterRules like this.