Finally Tried the S2 Line

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by JTroska, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Dave Adams

Dave Adams New Member

I took my guitar to a local Guitar Center to have it properly set up (the rest of the way). While there I tried a 2016 S2 Standard 24 Satin through a Princeton Reverb amp. It sounded quiet with no noise. The guitar tech there properly adjusted the truss rod (I was close but still had a slight bow in the neck). In addition, he set the string height and intonation and adjusted the springs on the tremolo to work with the lighter gauge strings I had put on the day before (GHS 42-09 set). The guitar plays wonderfully now and I tried it out through the Princeton Reverb amp in the store and it too was quiet--which means I have a guitar cable going out!

I'm going to enjoy this guitar now and get used to playing it. I was quick to dismiss it based on a bad bowed neck and bad setup from sitting 2 years unused (from recent e-Bay purchase) . I am beginning to see what all of the love is for these fine instruments.

Best regards,

Dave Adams

garrett, dogrocketp, AP515 and 2 others like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Happy endings rock!

3. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

+100!

Having never played an S2 prior to ordering my RL Vela, I acted on a wing and a prayer (and PRS is the only brand I’d ever do this with). Instantly, I was SO impressed. The fringe benefit was that my S2 not only played as well as my core models, but looked fantastic with its 100 year old wood. S2 should not be thought of as a compromise.

dogrocketp likes this.
  4. Screamingdaisy

Agreed.

From a distance the SE's may look more like a Core, but the S2s perform more like a Core.

IMO, the S2 hit's the mark on a "working man's guitar" where they sacrifice some of the bling but retain most of the performance.

garrett and dogrocketp like this.
  5. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

I have 3 S2s and a Core, the S2s play as well although the finish feels different but anyone else notice that standing up the S2s kinda hug your body a little better like a S style, they are really ergonomic without the carves...

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I have SE, S2, CE, and other core. Each has a different sound, neck, and visual appeal. I got an S2 custom 22 to use as a workhorse, but couldn't bond with the neck carve. It's the only PRS I've EVER played I that my thick fingers didn't bond with. When I lowered the pickups and raised the pole pieces, it kicked derrière. The trem was fine, and everything else was great. To me, it's more like...do you want grey poupon, French's or horseradish mustard? It's on eBay, and someone is going to get really lucky if they like the neck carve.

7. Screamingdaisy

The only thing I didn't like about my first S2 (Standard 24) was the neck angle. Being a flat top guitar the neck stuck straight out of the body like a Fender instead of having a Gibson like layback angle.

I don't really consider that an "issue"... more of a personal preference.

The S2 neck carves I like. They feel more Core-like to me than the SEs. With the SE I don't dig the small fretwire, which is ultimately what lead me to sell mine for an S2.

8. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Interesting... You could blindfold me and put either my Santana SE or my Core Custom 22 in my hand and if I couldn't feel how heavy it was, I wouldn't know which was which.

9. Screamingdaisy

I found the differences pretty obvious. My fingers would drag on the SE fretboard and made getting under the strings for bends harder. Nothing I couldn't adjust to, I just prefer the bigger fretwire.